TwelverShia.net Forum

How did your loved ones react ...

Sheikh

How did your loved ones react ...
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
... when you told them that you were no longer Shia?

Al-hamdulillah I had it very easy with my family. But my friends are a different story. I "came out" (so to speak) to someone very close and dear to me as well as her friend. At first she was mad, but she quickly got over it and said it doesn't matter what I am as long as I don't hate her. But her friend was a different story. She tried to debate me and then cussed me out when I said "Ayesha radi Allah anha".  :P. (This was in a public restaurant too!)

So ... How did it go down for those of you that left Shiasm? 

Hani

Re: How did your loved ones react ...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 04:20:19 AM »
Your family won't mind since ur a European convert right? If ur family was Shia ud suffer big time, they're close minded.

As for friends, well.... Have fun telling them lol! You'll see some shocking reactions trust me.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Noor-us-Sunnah

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »
I hope they don't attack your birth due to this conversion, as they normally do.

Sheikh

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
Yeah, my family is European so they don't really care but I was surprised that some of them knew the difference!

The story above was the only shocking one I had so far, most are supportive or at least ok with it. I haven't told everybody yet though.

I have had a lot of people attack my birth over my conversion but it wasn't my friends -- it was extremists/fundamentalists online that like to promote violence and hatred. I feel like people that actually know (Sunni) Muslims in person and have them as friends are more open minded than the closed minded extremists that one encounters online. They tend to be very sheltered by their communities into believing strange things about the world. When you live inside of a bubble, it can be hard to understand the point of views of people different than you. It makes you defensive when someone disagrees with your worldview. A lot of "closed in" Shias are like conservative right-wing politicians around the world; they see that other people exist and live different lives from them and it freaks them out, so they respond with violence and hate-speech.

Husayn

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
They think I've been brainwashed by evil nasibis.
إن يتبعون إلا الظن وما تهوى الأنفس

Bolani Muslim

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
I haven't came out to many people, especially not to family. Though as the saying goes 'You're mother knows you like the back of your hand,' she openly tells me I'm not the same Shia boy as before. Although she's unnerved knowing that I respect Sahaba (ra), believe that the Imams+Prophets (as) were human and go to the Sunni masjid. Our relationship has actually improved alot! I think it's due to me being genuinely happy and trying to be a 'good person' and through my mom talking to me and realizing that she has many issues with Shia beliefs herself. She's content as long as I pray hands on the sides in front of her; once she caught me praying hands folded in public, but didn't say much.

It was a bit different with my Shia friends, most act like it never happened and treat me the same. Only one had issues at the beginning, he's very smart, but couldn't discuss beyond 'Vaabis' and I think he realized that if he looks into religon, he'll either become a Sunni or Sunnish Shia so he stopped talking about it. It's weird, because at first he was VERY adamant that I become Shia again and would lecture me to the point of yelling, but now acts like theirs a pink elephant in the room around me.

Farid

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:39 AM »
Mashallah. You guys are going through a major struggle. May Allah reward you all for every moment of hardship.