TwelverShia.net Forum

My journey (in brief) from Shi'ism to Sunni Islam

Abu Ammar

My journey (in brief) from Shi'ism to Sunni Islam
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:40:21 AM »
Assalamu Alaykum,

I have been a Sunni for more than a year now, and I have never been surer of this path. I am very happy to share my story here.

I was born into a strict Shi'ite household, one where we would commemorate every birthday and death of important members of the Ahlul Bayt, and we took Muharram very seriously. I was raised a Shi'ite, and was fed the fact that 'we were the Saved Sect' and 'We are the lovers of the Family of Muhammad saw'. We were always given the scripts to refute Sunnis with regards to all matters, whether it be Tuwwesul, Imamah, infallibility etc. Given I had all the answers, I firmly believed that I was upon the truth, and that Sunnis had unfortunately believed a lie all their lives.

Having said that, I was contantly pinched by thoughts at the back of my head; doubts I had from nonintuitive tenets in Shi'ism such as

- Why 12?
-Ghaiba
-Infalliblity; are they unable to sin?
-Is Tuweesul necessary, given Allah has told us to pray directly to him
-Mourning; are we a religion of weeping the past?

and so on. But as I said, there was always an answer, no matter how absurd it sounded. I remember reaching to such a state, that I would attend Muharram lectures, and leave the moment everyone started crying, because I couldn't believe that mourning was encouraged in Islam, and many Shi'ites agreed with me. Yet I was still strongly rooted into Shi'ism, mainly because of one hadith; The hadith of the '12 successors'. 'Who else has 12 Khulafaa2 but us?', they used to say, and then I'm back into the comfort of believing my sect is the true one.

Studying at university, I met a two Sunnis Brothers; one Tunisian and one Kashmiri. Having been someone who gained pleasure from confrontation (and I assume they did too), we got into a fiery debate. My points were not easy to prove; Shi'ite Aqeeda requires means from Islamic reasoning such as logic, qiyaas, etc, things Sunnis use for fiqh. But I remember one thing clearly. The Kashmiri brother kept repeating 'Tawheed'. He explained to me that I neglected the most important doctrine of Islam, for more political ones. He revolutionised the way I thought about my religion from then on. I had realised that I have been prioritising Ahlul Bayt so much that I have forgotten the main belief of Islam, that is to believe and worship one God alone.

This experience had changed my life, and had started reevaluating my own deen. I started emphasising more articulated beliefs and practices in Islam, such as Dhikr, the Sunnah, Tawheed, Tajweed etc. Subhanallah, all this only because the brother said 'Tawheed'. Nevertheless, I was still a Shi'ite. I still believed firmly in the political aspect of Shi'ism.

Ramadan came and having made this revolution, I wanted to do more in this Holy month. Placing the Quran on my head and practicing Tuwessul was just not catching up with my new 'Tawheed fascinated' self, so I went to Sunni Masjids instead. Not only did I pray all 5 prayers with them throughout the day (which most Shi'ite Masjids don't do), but it was topped with Taraweeh. Being a Shi'i I wasn't sure whether or not to join them, given I believed that it was an innovation (although I had many innovated beliefs). I decided to join them anyway, and pray with intention of two rakat everytime, with one rakah Witr in the end. That was a very distinctive experience, probably one of the most spiritual night I had. Yet, this is all subjective - I will not convey my experience to convince anyone about my deen, but this is just to make clear the contrast between Sunni practices and Shi'ite ones.

Being in Uni for another year, I was fed up. I had rejected some Shi'te beliefs and accepted others. I prayed mainly with Sunnis but then sat with Shi'ites listening and asking for answers. I was clearly really confused. With regards to main beliefs with Shi'ism, I was always given philosophy, logic, qiyaas and implicit verses as evidence, but it was never enough. Sunnis consistently prove their creed with direct evidense, so I never stood a chance. Why is it that the sect is so weak that it requires 'tools' from outside of Islam to prove its beliefs and twist verses so that they would mean something else? Surah Kahf Aya 1 says that the book has 'no crookedness', one reason why I reject 'Ba6ini' reasoning.

One day, I happened to meet the Tunisian brother I mentioned earlier and we had tea in his house. It just so happened that I had a book about Shi'ite Islam in my bag. We got into a debate (inevitably) and I gave him this book I had. Him being a sharp law student, he took seconds to analyse the book and already find one contradiction. This is what is was; the book claimed that the Imams possess the knowledge of the unseen, and at the same time quotes Surat Al-Jinn 26-27, in which the ayat clearly say that no one possesses the knowledge of the unseen except for Allah and parts of it are revealed to to some messengers that he chooses. The Aya, clearly goes against the books claim, and that was the first big shock for me.

I went around asking and researching and I found that there were 3 categories of Shias with regards to this issue. The first say the Imams do NOT have the knowledge of the unseen, the second say that they are revealed parts of the knowledge of the unseen and the third, say that the Imams possess all of the knowledge of the unseen. The fact that there is no ijmaa3 on this Aqeeda issue is as disturbing as what the third category say. I had never been so full with doubt at this point, having already rejected almost half of Shi'ism. I talked to the Tunisian brother one more time, and he requested me to prove 3 things to him;

-Wilaya Tekweenia
-Isma (infallibility)
-Ghayba

I started my search, which ended abruptly - no evidence in Quran or Sunnah for any of the above claims, and I will challenge every Shi'ite on this. Having talked to a Sheikh about Wilaya Tekweenia, he said that 'there is ikhtilaf whether the Imams control the universe or not, but both opinions are accepted'. How can this huge topic in Aqeeda not be decided upon, and say there's ikhtilaf as if both opinions can be correct?

However, one of the main proponents that drove me out of Shi'ism was the silence of the scholars. There were Shi'ite scholars and others that utter blatent blasphemy even to a Shi'is point of view, and yet the top Maraji3 say nothing. Yet when, like Kamal Al Haydari, dares to question Imamah or Ghayba, every scholar (or most) turned against him. There is something wrong here. Terribly wrong. Imamah has been placed above Tawheed, and I didn't want to be a part of it.

Though initially, I thought that just because Shi'ism is false, doesn't mean Sunni Islam is true. I read into Zaidi Islam and Ibadhi Islam and so on. I then had been privileged to meet one of the Champions of Ahlul Sunnah, Ebn Hussain, who he himself, made it clear what the Sunni stance on everything. What Sunnis believe generally, does not just make sense, but was easier to believe. It is also more sustainable, in the sense that all our beliefs are clear and have solid, concrete evidences, dissimilar to the Shi'ites, who have to forevermore use indirect proofs, qiyaas and subjective philosophy and logic as their daleel (i.e.; it is just man made deduction, not anything divine). I then made confident decision to become part of Ahlul Sunnah Wa Al-Jama3a. And I say to Shias, Sunnis do not believe in anything that does not have evidence behind it.

I want to make it clear to Shias even I thought there there were not many Ex-Shias out there, however I can confirm there are many, and I am one of them. It was a long journey, and have made my story very brief (although it seems lengthy), and I invite any Shi'ite if he/she wants to more things I had doubts about. If you pm me, I can give you my personal details and I will be very happy to discuss anything.

I would like to thank Badrudeen, Waqar, Abdullah & Ebn Hussain for their contribution to my hidayah.

Wasalamu alaykum wa ra7matullah

I mentioned the hadith of the '12 successors', and I will post the Sunni stance in the 'reply' section

Edit by mod: Typo in title.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:09:49 AM by Farid »
لا تعتقد دين الروافض إنهم أهل المحال وحزبة الشيطان

'Do not Believe [in] the religion of the Rawafidh, for they are people of distortion and the party of Satan'

Nooniyah Al-Qahtani

Abu Ammar

Re: My journey (in breif) from Shi'ism to Sunni Islam
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 02:42:24 AM »

You don't need to watch the video, I have summarised it below when I was previously debating a Shi'i before.

He has given two opinions - one which said that the '12 Khulafa' hadith is regarding 12 great and righteous leaders of the Ummah (a praise to these individuals) The list of rulers he gave regarding this opinion had neither Muawiya or yazid (Abu Bakr, Omar, Othman Ali, Hassan and Omar Ibn Abdul Aziz etc).

The other opinion, he said that there will be 12 leaders after the Prophet pbuh and these 12 will rule in the period in which the Ummah will be great and resourceful - HOWEVER, this hadith is NOT a praise to those individual rulers (this list contains Muawiya and Yazid).
[As in it's a prophecy, or news]

So in conclusion, he hasn't praised Muawiya or Yazid, nor put them above the Ahlul Bayt.

Note that I haven't come across hadiths using the word 'Imam'. The hadiths in question seem to be orientated about people in authority, a leader of a nation of some sort - However, only 2 of the 12 (Twelver) imams ruled the Ummah. How can there be hadiths about the nature of the ruler (or his reign) when he hasn't even ruled?

'Do not Believe [in] the religion of the Rawafidh, for they are people of distortion and the party of Satan'

Nooniyah Al-Qahtani

Farid

Re: My journey (in brief) from Shi'ism to Sunni Islam
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:00:14 AM »
Barak Allah feek akhi.

I remember when the hadith of twelve caliphs was attracting me to Shiasm a decade ago. I feel so silly looking back. ;)

Rationalist

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »
About the 12  Calipahs ahadith there are things you should notice.

a) Its not a mutawatir
b) The Imams even in the 12ers shia books numbered never themselves 1-12. Imam Baqer (as) never said he was the 5th or Imam Jafar never said he was 6th.
c) When Ahlul Bayt disagreed with each other on the Imamate, they never referenced this 12 Calipah ahadith.
d) Most of the 12, in fact all 8 of them never cared about the Caliphate so how can they be the reference to 12 rulers ?

MuslimK

• +8/-0
  • یا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبی علی دینک
    • Refuting Shia allegations everywhere
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
و علیکم سلام و ر و ب

Barak Allah feek brother.

Beautiful thread.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:49:50 PM by AbuMuslimKhorasani »
در خلافت میل نیست ای بی‌خبر
میل کی آید ز بوبکر و عمر
میل اگر بودی در آن دو مقتدا
هر دو کردندی پسر را پیشوا

عطار نِیشابوری

www.Nahjul-Balagha.net | www.TwelverShia.net | www.ghadirkhumm.com

Optimus Prime

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:28:34 AM »
May Allah bless you, akhi.

farrukhkabir

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Ma Sha Alla!
A few days ago I was interested in shia believes due to the hadith of twelve successors,but this website has answers to my questions!Alhamdulillah!
Salam everyone

Abu Ammar

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »
Salam, thank you brothers for your kind words.

Farrukhkabir - it's interesting that you came across this hadith because it's what anchored me to Shi'ism and I could imagine a lot of Sunnis would be shocked if they came across it.

Let me make it clearer to you:
All the points that brother Rationalist had pointed are very true

PLUS

Isn't it funny that their final Imam happens to be living for a very very long time? Had their twelfth Imam been proven to not exist to them, they probably would've made Fatima an Imam or chose another member of the bloodline of Rasool Allah (saw). Ghaiba as we know it has existed in many many shi'ite sects before the Twelvers such as:

-Waqifites; believe in the occultation (ghaiba) of Imam Musa Al Kadhum
-Tawussite; believe in the occultation of Imam Ja'far Al Sadiq
-Some Kaysanites; believe Muhammad ibn Al Hanafiyyah is in occultation

so we clearly see a certain mindset. I group that fails to acknowledge the absence of their own leader and conclude that he is not dead in order to keep the validity of their own sect or maybe they cannot accept that he died to remove any sort of despair.

Also, many other sects used this hadith to tell the people that 'we have these 12 that the prophet (saw) had prophesied' to prove their sect is indeed the correct one. The pattern here is that you have a sect, they pick twelve 'great' men, and attribute this hadith to them. It's so easy to do. Ahlul Sunnah do not use this hadith to prove the authenticity of their own sect, and that in itself proves the natural sincerity of the Madhab.

Nooniyah Al-Qahtani

Furkan

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
It didn't shock me. It's just a sign/prophecy, not an order or advice or something similar.
Before Qazî Mihemed, President of the first kurdish Republic Mahabad was hanged the iranian judge asked:

“last words?”

Qazî: “I thank Allah: even in death he put my shoes above your heads”

farrukhkabir

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »
Salam, thank you brothers for your kind words.

Farrukhkabir - it's interesting that you came across this hadith because it's what anchored me to Shi'ism and I could imagine a lot of Sunnis would be shocked if they came across it.

Let me make it clearer to you:
All the points that brother Rationalist had pointed are very true

PLUS

Isn't it funny that their final Imam happens to be living for a very very long time? Had their twelfth Imam been proven to not exist to them, they probably would've made Fatima an Imam or chose another member of the bloodline of Rasool Allah (saw). Ghaiba as we know it has existed in many many shi'ite sects before the Twelvers such as:

-Waqifites; believe in the occultation (ghaiba) of Imam Musa Al Kadhum
-Tawussite; believe in the occultation of Imam Ja'far Al Sadiq
-Some Kaysanites; believe Muhammad ibn Al Hanafiyyah is in occultation

so we clearly see a certain mindset. I group that fails to acknowledge the absence of their own leader and conclude that he is not dead in order to keep the validity of their own sect or maybe they cannot accept that he died to remove any sort of despair.

Also, many other sects used this hadith to tell the people that 'we have these 12 that the prophet (saw) had prophesied' to prove their sect is indeed the correct one. The pattern here is that you have a sect, they pick twelve 'great' men, and attribute this hadith to them. It's so easy to do. Ahlul Sunnah do not use this hadith to prove the authenticity of their own sect, and that in itself proves the natural sincerity of the Madhab.
Lol yeah,that's a funny belief of shia Islam that Imam Mahdi is alive from a LOOONNGGGG time :p