TwelverShia.net Forum

Demise of Ottoman in Hijaz

Hadrami

Demise of Ottoman in Hijaz
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:50 AM »
A friend sent me this brief chronology of the demise of Ottoman authority in Hijaz. He said it wasn't Saud family which helped the demise of the Caliphate, but it was their arch enemy.

Nov 1914 - Caliph Mehmet V declared jihad against Allies (Brits, France & Rusia)

June 1916
- Hussein bin Ali, Ameer of Makkah refused the jihad call unless he was given larger autonomy. The Caliph refused the request.
- Hussein bin Ali started rebellion and conquered Makkah.
- Hussein army also took over Jeddah & several cities with the help from Brits.

Oct 1916
- Brits sent TE Lawrence aka "Lawrence of Arabia" to assist Hussein fought the Ottoman army.
- Hussein army attacked Madina, but was repelled.

Mar 1924 - Hussein bin Ali declared himself as Caliph.

1925 - Al Saud took Makkah from Hussein

Is that chronology correct? If correct, why the long gap between Caliph declaring jihad and Hussein refusing the call? Any history bookworm here?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:01:28 AM by Hadrami »

Sheikh

Re: Demise of Ottoman in Hijaz
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:53:43 AM »
It probably took a long time for the call to Jihad to reach Makkah and for Hussein bin Ali to give his response back to Istanbul, and for Mehmet V to send his refusal back to Makkah.

There was no internet in those days.  What may seem like a very short argument could have took a massive amount of time with messengers running back and forth.

Hadrami

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
It probably took a long time for the call to Jihad to reach Makkah and for Hussein bin Ali to give his response back to Istanbul, and for Mehmet V to send his refusal back to Makkah.

There was no internet in those days.  What may seem like a very short argument could have took a massive amount of time with messengers running back and forth.

you're kidding right? I'm sure they have a special quick courier between Istanbul & al Haramain for a Caliph & his governor :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:01:20 AM by Hadrami »

Furkan

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:27:43 AM »
I think the words of alamah Ibn Abidin are clear though that refers to ibn abdulwahaab and al sauds movement.
Before Qazî Mihemed, President of the first kurdish Republic Mahabad was hanged the iranian judge asked:

“last words?”

Qazî: “I thank Allah: even in death he put my shoes above your heads”

Hadrami

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:11:41 AM »
im sure muhammad abdul wahab didn't live until WW1 bro :D.
Ive done some searching and the chronology looks legit. So the main culprit wasnt al saud, but their main rival, the Ottoman rep in Hijaz which fought the Caliph and sided with the Brits. His children ended up ruled Syria & Iraq, but the lasting one only Jordan.

It's easier to blame al saud tho, since they've been allied with western powers for as long as we can remember.

Furkan

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:22:27 AM »
Try looking for messages between the sultan and al saud in arabic. That might help
Before Qazî Mihemed, President of the first kurdish Republic Mahabad was hanged the iranian judge asked:

“last words?”

Qazî: “I thank Allah: even in death he put my shoes above your heads”