TwelverShia.net Forum

Being motivated by christian verses, buddha quotes , but not quran?

sid

okay so gonna try to make this brief!Hopefully.so anyways, the thing is , I dont feel as motivated when i am reading quran verses, even the ones that are supposed to be motivating ,but i feel motivated by bible verses.and buddha quotes.Yes i have tried tafseer, butit doesnt exactly work.

So has anyone else felt this way.What can i do, is there a dua i should do because it makesme crazy, it really honestly does. even if shaytan is doing this, how can he do this while i am reciting the verses of the quran.Also here is something else.When i because i am motivated convert to either buddhism or christianity, then suddenly the things i would recite that would motivate me suddenly go away, like it wouldnt have that effect on me, and not only that but i would ouuside of islam,then get motivated by quran verses,

but i dont want this , i dont why i have to convert out of islam to all of a sudden be motivated by quran verses, and why it doesnt work when i am in it.Also why is God not helping me here.I mean for 6 years now,i have not been the pious muslim i should have been.I pray , etc, but there isnt anything there , i dont feel anything, like i am supposed to be following islam, and i cant even get out of islam, because i get a feeling i am not supposed to.and in fact dont go like other people that say whoops islam not mtivating me ,i am leaving it.I immediately panic and blame myself,i even get scared of leaving islam for christianity because i dont know where it would lead me, what happens if i sin like drink or havesex and not care i dont want that .even if its not allowed in the christian religion.

Whats going on with me, is this the work of a jinn? is this because i dont recite quran regularly even just the arabic? but i am tired of blaming myself.Why doesnt an imam a.s. come to me in the dream and tell me whats wrong?

Hani

Re: Being motivated by christian verses, buddha quotes , but not quran?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:40:41 AM »
A lot of motivational verses no longer seem motivational because our scholars and speakers regurgitate them on a regular basis like parrots without any deep contemplation or sincere implementation. Our biggest issues are with our religious and political leaders not our religion.

You're going through is psychological issues related to some disappointments in your life which you've linked to God/Islam in addition to some bad advice.

As for the other stuff, it sounds fresh to you, maybe different stylistically as well so you're enjoying it (for now). Definitely, every religion and philosophy has its wisdom, this is why the Prophet (saw) instructed us:

"Wisdom is the lost property of the Believer, let him claim it wherever he finds it."

So whether you find wisdom in the writing of Ibn Taymiyyah or Plato, you must seek it and consume it.

More related quotes in the intro of this article:
https://www.islamicity.org/6580/the-pleasures-of-seeking-knowledge/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:41:55 AM by Hani »
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

sid

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:09:21 AM »
A lot of motivational verses no longer seem motivational because our scholars and speakers regurgitate them on a regular basis like parrots without any deep contemplation or sincere implementation. Our biggest issues are with our religious and political leaders not our religion.

You're going through is psychological issues related to some disappointments in your life which you've linked to God/Islam in addition to some bad advice.

As for the other stuff, it sounds fresh to you, maybe different stylistically as well so you're enjoying it (for now). Definitely, every religion and philosophy has its wisdom, this is why the Prophet (saw) instructed us:

"Wisdom is the lost property of the Believer, let him claim it wherever he finds it."

So whether you find wisdom in the writing of Ibn Taymiyyah or Plato, you must seek it and consume it.

More related quotes in the intro of this article:
https://www.islamicity.org/6580/the-pleasures-of-seeking-knowledge/
Salam, i appreciate your answer.THank you answering me, but the truth iswe all face hardships, islam is supposed to be the thing that helps us, motivates us, wha we should live for instead of this world, but even when someone tells me live for the hereafter and not for the dunya, it doesnt motivate me like it did in 2012.And plus in 2012 i used to be motivated by sunni speakers, until i was told i shouldnt as a shia, and then now when i do listen to sunni speakers ,not that same effect anymore.Like what is going on?why has this been happening for 6 years?im tired of it.have inot tried making dua hard enough, maybe i should try doing that

Hani

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:55:18 AM »
I'm a Sunni and I get motivated by atheist speakers sometimes, heck sometimes a line in a Hollywood movie motives me. As for those people who told you to shun motivational speakers only because they're Sunni, their advice is vile and their Shia mentality is rotten.

Motivation is a part of human design, God created you to be motivated by his creations, by other human writings and even songs.

Enjoy life.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

sid

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 03:23:58 AM »
I'm a Sunni and I get motivated by atheist speakers sometimes, heck sometimes a line in a Hollywood movie motives me. As for those people who told you to shun motivational speakers only because they're Sunni, their advice is vile and their Shia mentality is rotten.

Motivation is a part of human design, God created you to be motivated by his creations, by other human writings and even songs.

Enjoy life.
no no brother you dont understand, my case was very different, in shia islam it is also allowed to take wisdom from other people, regardless of their faith, but unfortunately for me, when i got attracted to sunni speakers, i wanted to convert or felt closer to sunni islam, but something inside of me would make me not want to ,like immediately when my friend told me dont listen to them, something inside of me got bothered and i could NOT listen to sunni speakers proerply after that, like imagine if you got motivated by chrsitian speakers to the extent for some reason the peace they gave you made you feel like converting, but all of a sudden a force makes you feel conflicted and you feel like you shouldnt listen to the christian speakers in order to not go astray, but unfortuantely on the side!! guess what youre not motivated by your own muslim speakers.And thats what happened to me, because of lack of good shia speakers or shia speakers couldnt motivate me, i struggled in my deen, and i couldnt convert to sunni islam.and now well i dont know. now when i listen to sunni speakers, theres something about them i dont like, either they seem louder or i dont know what is it, and Alhumdulillah shia speakers now motivate me, but its not as strong as what i used to be motivated by before.its like a wave... so i mean sometimes its very conflicting.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:26:12 AM by sid »

Sheikh

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 04:54:44 AM »
Asalaamu alaykum,

I think it is because Islam is familiar and comfortable to you, whereas Buddhism and Christianity are exotic and exciting. I recommend you try to discover what it is you like about the Buddhist & Christian quotes/speakers/etc and try to find something similar in Islam.

I have 2 examples-
When I was in high school, my best friend was a Hindu. I was enthralled with Hindu/Indian culture and I found that the mantras & chants were very beautiful and enjoyable. But then I found an Islamic (Shia) chant that was done in the exact same style and rhythm/tune as the Hindu chants, and I started listening to that instead.

Also, I at one time really liked the YouTube videos of Christian Bishop Robert Barron. He would watch popular Hollywood movies & explain Christian messages through the movies narratives. A friend recommended me an Muslim speaker that did the same thing with Islamic messages (I wish I could remember the name, but I can’t).

So try to discover whatever it is that you specifically find motivating about these Buddhist and Christian messages and ask around to see if there are any Islamic equivalents. And as Hani said, wisdom can come from anywhere. Take the good and leave the bad inshallah. If, for example, you really like a Christian speaker because he talks about devotion to God & other good messages, that’s great! As long as you ignore the parts about the trinity & other unislamic things, I don’t see anything wrong with taking inspiration from it. Likewise, if you find inspiration from Buddhist sources about being moderate/middle-path and peace, that’s also good.

Islam does not prohibit you from taking wisdom and inspiration from other sources. Remember that it was Muslims that preserved all of Greek philosophy while the West was destroying it. Can you imagine a world without Greek philosophy?  Even though the Greek philosophy in many ways is unislamic, it was Muslims that preserved it and took the good from it. Alhamdulillah.

So take what is good and leave what is bad. May Allah (swt) make it easy on you.

Hadrami

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:32:44 AM »
And plus in 2012 i used to be motivated by sunni speakers, until i was told i shouldnt as a shia, and then now when i do listen to sunni speakers ,not that same effect anymore.
i assume apart from telling you not to listen to sunni speakers, that person also talked bad about them? Once you believe they were bad then the outcome is you wont like listening to them anymore. Butvthe good sign is you still very unease just thinking about converting to christianity etc. Make dua and dont hangout with bad friends & surroundings
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:36:42 AM by Hadrami »