TwelverShia.net Forum

Best of the Arabic grammars

Hani

Best of the Arabic grammars
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:59 AM »
al-Salamu `Aleykum,

I'm no linguist, but dictionaries which I found very useful and helpful, to explain the Arabic of the Qur'an and Hadith and Athaar and Akhbaar, are the following:

1-Lisan al-`Arab by ibn Mandhour.

2-Taj-ul-`Arous by Murtada al-Zubaydi.

3-Maqayees-ul-Lughah by ibn Faris.

4-Al-Misbah al-Muneer by al-Fayyoumi.

5-Al-Qamous al-Muheet by al-Fayrouzabadi.

6-Mukhtar al-Sihah by al-Razi.

7-Al-Mu`jam al-Waseet by its authors.

8-Tahdheeb al-Lughah by al-Azhari.

9-Al-Sihah fil-Lughah by al-Jawhari.

10-Al-Muhkam wal-Muheet al-A`zam by al-Mursi.

11-Al-Muntakhab by Kurra`i al-Namli.

InshaAllah they are useful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:09:07 AM by Hani »
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

lotfilms

Re: Best of the Arabic grammars
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:55 AM »
Jazakallahu khayran for sharing

in addition to the above, any book by Dr. Fadhil al-Samarra'i (فاضل السامرائي) will leaving you saying "subhanAllah" about the incredible linguistic miracles in the Quran

Esp this series:
لمسات بيانية
Available both in book form, .pdf online, and him explaining and answering questions on youtube

May Allah(swt) reward him greatly amen

Moin

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
YOu forgot An-Nihayay fi ghareeb al-Hadith of Ibn al-Atheer which works as a dictionary of difficult words mentioned in hadith. I always use it. One think I like is its alphabetical arrangement is much better to me than other books. However it is not a complete dictionary as the name suggests.

Hani

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
Yes brother, I've also seen similar books that explain the strange words in Hadith, such as Kitab-ul-Kulliyat li-abi al-Baqa' al-Husayni.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Nader Zaveri

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Assalaamu `Alaykum,

One of the great books on Arabic grammar is called Mughni al-Labeeb of Ibn Hishaam. When one thinks of Ibn Hishaam, they think of him as a scholar of Seerah, but one of the forgotten things about Ibn Hishaam was him being a great grammarian.

Moin

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »
Assalaamu `Alaykum,

One of the great books on Arabic grammar is called Mughni al-Labeeb of Ibn Hishaam. When one thinks of Ibn Hishaam, they think of him as a scholar of Seerah, but one of the forgotten things about Ibn Hishaam was him being a great grammarian.

wa'alaikumussalam
Both of them are different.

Hani

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Al-Seerah is:
أبو محمد عبد الملك بن هشام بن أيوب الحميري البصري المتوفي سنة 218هـ

Al-Mughnee is:
أبو محمد عبدالله جمال الدين بن يوسف بن أحمد بن عبدالله بن هشام الأنصاري المصري المتوفي سنة 761هـ

Hani

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
Best books on antonyms (Words opposed in meaning) are mentioned in this thread:
http://ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=255480