How did a scholar impact your life?

sid

How did a scholar impact your life?
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:35:29 PM »
as asked above?

Hani

Re: How did a scholar impact your life?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:16:14 AM »
I suppose we'll be using the term scholars loosely here. I don't think I was ever THAT affect by any scholar really.

Local shaykhs from my city didn't add much, neither from school nor Friday sermons. I respected them, what they represented and their age.

I began watching some Muslim Christian debates, was still young, Ahmed Deedat opened my eyes about debating with other faiths, some well spoken scholars like `Abdul Rahim Green helped me ponder on the greatness and superiority of this religion as well as the phenomenon of converts and conversion.

As far as Sunni/Shia matters, the TV debates between Tijani and Khamis and these discussions were very informative about the Shii sect who lives in the southern part of my country (Lebanon).

I began following some Salafi scholars, they made me reflect and ponder on what monotheism truly means, what to consider evidence and how to accept and reject texts, the importance of citing sources and verifying them.

At this point also, Ibn Taymiyyah began playing a major role, Salafis often praised him (even though technically he wasn't Salafi) he was also under a lot of fire from Sufis and Shia. I found that a lot of the attacks on him were due to people not understanding his words, he taught me that every word matters and I need to choose every word I write carefully. Linguistic precision!

At some point I met Farid whom I consider my Shaykh in Hadith and he influence me greatly in terms of A- Judging reliability of texts B- Understanding the world of the early Salaf C- Behaving in a more academic and respectful way especially when dealing with opponents D- Da`wah to the Shia and trying to help them rather than just exposing their deviance and mocking it.

After diving into the world of the early Salaf, I began moving further away from the "Salafis", I discovered that the early Salafi world was open to many interpretations and ideas, that the modern day Salafi movement was hijacked by some VERY narrow minded folks with no insight nor are they well-read.

The last person to influence me was Adnan Ibrahim who's an Islamic researcher and philosopher, he helped open my eyes about the wealth of philosophical knowledge produced by Muslims as well as benefiting from the ideas of non-Muslim philosophers and thinkers, that wisdom is not restricted simply in the teachings of the Salaf, let alone the books of Ahlul-Sunnah, let alone even Muslims books. This transformed to "La-Madhabi" so I can accept an idea from anyone Muslims or not, I'm not restricted to the ideas that floated around in the time of the first three generations (like the Salafi brothers), I love reading on various topics in different fields.

Hope this helps.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

wannabe

Re: How did a scholar impact your life?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 03:26:25 AM »
as asked above?
[Shakir 2:165] And there are some among men who take for themselves objects of worship besides Allah, whom they love as they love Allah, and those who believe are stronger in love for Allah and O, that those who are unjust had seen, when they see the chastisement, that the power is wholly Allah's and that Allah is severe in requiting (evil).
[Shakir 2:166] When those who were followed shall renounce those who followed (them), and they see the chastisement and their ties are cut asunder.
[Shakir 2:167] And those who followed shall say: Had there been for us a return, then we would renounce them as they have renounced us. Thus will Allah show them their deeds to be intense regret to them, and they shall not come forth from the fire.

I try to visualize how great would my regret be on the judgement day.
A cousin of mine once said, “don’t worry, these verses are talking about mushrikeen (idol worshipper)”. But I beg to differ, since only the mukmins are excluded from these unjust people.
I would surely love to get to know a scholar (past or present) who give a grantee, he wouldn't renounce his followers as per quranic verse 2:166.
correct me if my understanding is faulty.
coming back to ur question, i try to listen to all the words and follow the best.