TwelverShia.net Forum

Official Reading Thread

Farid

Official Reading Thread
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
Bismillah,

It's about time we had one of these.

Currently reading a book called Tawtheeq Al-Sunnah. It is a study of how Sunnis and Shias accept narrations. The practical examples in the book include Muta'a and Imamah. I'll update you guys if it turns out to be any good.

I'm currently reading Alfiyat Al-Iraqi. Pretty much a thousands lines of poetry in which he details uloom al-hadith. It is very enjoyable. However, an explanation of his book is often necessary to have since much of his poetry seems vague, especially for beginners.

lotfilms

Re: Official Reading Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
ما شاء الله
Both are great
i'm having trouble finding the first one though.

Other than school related work, the only thing i've been reading other than the Quran is listening to hadiths being read lol. 
For example:
http://forum.twelvershia.net/hadith-rijal/majalis-for-reading-of-sahih-al-bukhari/

Taha

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:20:51 AM »
Beware: I read a lot.

Note: None of the summaries (apart from "Memoirs of Aga Khan" and the very first part of "The Stranger") are written by me.  I nicked them from Amazon.  I haven't finished reading these books so how could I summarize them?  :P

American Crescent: A Muslim Cleric on the Power of His Faith, the Struggle Against Prejudice, and the Future of Islam and America by Sayed Hassan Qazwini.

American Crescent vividly describes Qazwini’s efforts to show Americans how those who destroyed the World Trade Center had hijacked Islam as well, and that most Muslims were appalled by their actions. Yet he also takes the Bush administration to task for championing the prejudicial Patriot Act (after Muslims supported George W. Bush in the 2000 election) and deplores its conduct in the Iraq War.

Throughout American Crescent, Qazwini offers a revelatory look at the tenets and history of Islam, defending it as a faith of peace and diversity, and challenging stereotypes and misconceptions promulgated by the media. Iran, he points out, has a higher percentage of women in its parliament than the United States does in both houses of Congress. “If you want to learn about Islam,” he writes, “turn off the TV.”

At once a fascinating personal story and a heartfelt plea to integrate Islamic teachings into the tolerant traditions of America, this book is an important contribution to our understanding of all those who live among us, at a time when it matters most.

Cover-up: How the Church Silenced Jesus's True Heirs by Lawrence Goudge.

The Christian church hides a multitude of secrets; it is, after all, a mysterious religion. For instance, what if Jesus did not start Christianity? What if Paul, who knew Jesus only through visions, created it? In Cover-Up, author and lay minister Lawrence Goudge disputes the Christian theology that has dominated the world for millennia.

Goudge, who has spent more than twenty-four years researching the suppressed history of Jesus's Jewish followers, demonstrates how the church has corrupted Jesus's message. Cover-Up takes an innovative and investigative approach to Christianity, St. Paul's credibility, and ways in which theological truths have been concealed for two thousand years. Goudge's analysis debunks the myths and provides alternative theories.

As hatred and heresy haunt Christianity's shadows, this study addresses the intolerant nature of the Christian church and sets out to right the wrongs by bringing the truth about the Nazarenes into the light of day. Goudge's message presents hope for a just world.

The Memoirs of Aga Khan: World Enough and Time by Sultan Muhammad Shah Aga Khan III.

The dude's memoirs.  Duh.

The Stranger by Albert Camus.

I first read this in my high school Philosophy class.  Very interesting.

A young Algerian, Meursault, afflicted with a sort of aimless inertia, becomes embroiled in the petty intrigues of a local pimp and, somewhat inexplicably, ends up killing a man. Once he's imprisoned and eventually brought to trial, his crime, it becomes apparent, is not so much the arguably defensible murder he has committed as it is his deficient character. The trial's proceedings are absurd, a parsing of incidental trivialities--that Meursault, for instance, seemed unmoved by his own mother's death and then attended a comic movie the evening after her funeral are two ostensibly damning facts--so that the eventual sentence the jury issues is both ridiculous and inevitable.

Throne of Gold: The Lives of the Aga Khans by Anne Edwards.

A biography of the wealthy Aga Khan clan, leaders of the Ismaili sect of Muslims found throughout East Africa, Pakistan, and India, traces the dynasty up to Aly Khan, the playboy husband of Rita Hayworth, into the present day.

The Aga Khans have reigned as one of the 20th century's most extravagant lineages. The family--descendeds from Mohammed--owns homes and horse stables all over the world, and sits as the spiritual head of a sect of 15 million Muslims. Anne Edwards tells the Aga Khans story by focusing on three generations--the current Aga Khan, his father and his grandfather. These are men who lives are those of fairy tales. They live in lavish surroundings, are notorious in their pursuit of women and throw outrageous parties. Ripe material for a biography, and Edwards delivers it well.

The First Muslim: The Story of Muhammad by Lesley Hazleton.

Muhammad’s was a life of almost unparalleled historical importance; yet for all the iconic power of his name, the intensely dramatic story of the prophet of Islam is not well known. In The First Muslim, Lesley Hazleton brings him vibrantly to life. Drawing on early eyewitness sources and on history, politics, religion, and psychology, she renders him as a man in full, in all his complexity and vitality.

Hazleton’s account follows the arc of Muhammad’s rise from powerlessness to power, from anonymity to renown, from insignificance to lasting significance. How did a child shunted to the margins end up revolutionizing his world? How did a merchant come to challenge the established order with a new vision of social justice? How did the pariah hounded out of Mecca turn exile into a new and victorious beginning? How did the outsider become the ultimate insider?

Impeccably researched and thrillingly readable, Hazleton’s narrative creates vivid insight into a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, nonviolence and violence, rejection and acclaim. The First Muslim illuminates not only an immensely significant figure but his lastingly relevant legacy.

As you can see, my interests are very diverse.  :P  Almost all religious history fascinates me.

Nader Zaveri

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
Salaamun `Alaykum,

When one gives the book title, can they also give a quick summary of the book as well as some cool or interesting things that were mentioned in the book. That'll be beneficial for us all.

In the meantime, I am attempting to author my book on Usool al-Hadith, where it looks at both the Sunnis and Shias methodology, it'll be multiple volumes, inshaa'Allah, If Allah gives me the tawfeeq. Currently, I am reading a bunch of books, so I do not have an exact name for a book. (I have ADD when it comes to reading books, which is my major flaw as a student of knowledge).

jinn

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
Salam

Currently reading 'Saviours of Islamic Spirit', by Maulana Abul Hasan Ali Nadvi rahimullah

Hani

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »
Salam

Currently reading 'Saviours of Islamic Spirit', by Maulana Abul Hasan Ali Nadvi rahimullah

Wa `Aleykum al-Salam,

What's it about bro?
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

jinn

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
Salam

Wa `Aleykum al-Salam,

What's it about bro?

Its a 3 Volume set bro on different Islamic personalities..

Volumes I

Umar ibn Abdul Aziz
Hassan al-Basri
Traditionists and Jurists of Islam (The Imams )
Ahmad ibn Hanbal
Abul Hassan al-Ash'ari
Decline of Dialectics
Al-Ghazal
Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jilani
Ibn al-Jawzi- Nur ud-din Zangi and Salah Ud-din Ayyubi
Sheikhul Islam Izz ud-din Ibn Abdul Salam
Tartars :The Scourge of God- Maulana Jalal ud-din Rumi.

Volumes II
Sheikh ul Islam Ibn Taimiyah
Sultan ul Mashaikh Khwaja Nizam ud din Aulia
Makhdum ul Mulk Sheikh Sharf ud din Yahya Maneri

Volumes III

Imam Rabbani Mujaddid Alf Thani.

This volume basically covers Islamic History in the Indian Sub Continent in the Tenth Centuary Hijri From Akbar to Jahangir and the eminent deputies of the Sheikh.

Hani

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Some big names there MashaAllah, have fun!  :)
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Maripat

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:08 AM »
Old SF guys may kindly reply to my Assalamualaikum.

dr76

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »

Wa Alaikum Assalam w.w Sir Maripat.. :-)

Hani

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »
al-Salamu `Aleykum,

So that no benefit would be lost, and since we're not posting the names of recently read books out of Taqseer, here's an old thread on another forum where we've posted:
http://islamic-forum.net/index.php?showtopic=14190&st=0

Maripat

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
So it is Hani (Tripoli-Sunni), dr76 and me.

Coming to the topics of the forum. I was missing Hani's work and thus it is a relief to get connected with him again.

I do not intend to do much reading on the matters related to Shia faith but one has to keep an overall eye on the state of affairs and that is my intention here at this forum.

Hani

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
So it is Hani (Tripoli-Sunni), dr76 and me.

Coming to the topics of the forum. I was missing Hani's work and thus it is a relief to get connected with him again.

I do not intend to do much reading on the matters related to Shia faith but one has to keep an overall eye on the state of affairs and that is my intention here at this forum.

Barak-Allahu feek bro, don't worry we don't post much you can easily keep up.

= )

Farid

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
Nader, you might want to look up: Ilm Al-Rijal Al-Shi'ee by Ahmad Khathim Al-Akwash/Al-Akoosh. He basically expanded on Sanad's book. He's a pretty smart guy, even though I disagree with his conclusions.

al-Irshād

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
Salaamu `alaykum warahmatullah

I have started reading The Charismatic Community: Shi'ite Identity in Early Islam by Maria Massi Dakake.

Thus far it has been an interesting read. She highlights some eye opening issues that have forced me to re-think some assumptions and beliefs I have.

May Allah guide us to the truth, where ever that may be..

Fee amanillah,

al-Irshād

Hani

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
Such as what brother? Offer us some examples if you may.

Husayn

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
Here is a book I read as a young Rafidi - it is more a transcript of a series of lectures given by Murtada Mutaharri:

'Ashura - Misrepresentations and Distortions part 1

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/vol13-no3/ashura-misrepresentations-distortions-part-1-mutahhari

'Ashura - Misrepresentations and Distortions part 2

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/vol13-no4/ashura-misrepresentations-distortions-part-2-mutahhari

It is not a long "book", but to a 15 year old it was very eye-opening, and made me re-think alot of what I would hear when attending majalis & lectures.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:21:11 AM by Husayn »
إن يتبعون إلا الظن وما تهوى الأنفس

al-Irshād

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 03:40:54 AM »
Such as what brother? Offer us some examples if you may.

Salaamu alaykum warahamtullah,

Namely Imamah and the Shi'i interpretation of the Prophet's (saw) statement concerning Imam `Ali (as) at Ghadir Khumm.

Hani

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »
I was checking a couple of nice books recently, I'll list some:

1- Bayan-ul-Sabab al-Moujib Li-Ikhtilaf-ul-Qira'at, by abu al-`Abbas al-Muqri' (430 AH). Discusses why there seems to be confusion regarding the recitations and letters of the Qur'an and mentions the reasons for this.

2- Fada'ih al-Batiniyyah wa Fada'il al-Mustadhhiriyyah, by abu Hamid al-Ghazali (505 AH). Discusses the evils of the Batini sects especially the Isma`ili Imami Shia and their methods and tricks and exposes them.

3- Al-Jurdu al-Ghamidah fi Qawasim al-Rafidah, by ibn Bahliqa al-Daqqaq. Based on al-Jahidh's book al-`Uthmaniyyah, it's re-written and its points summarized with additions and benefits.

4- Al-Muqaddimah fi Idah al-Imamah-ul-Kubra, by al-Dhahabi (748 AH). The author technically took arguments against the Imami concept of Imamah from the books of an earlier scholar, either ibn Hazm or Shahrastani, a small book useful only for beginners.

Hani

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
Three interesting books about what is being taught in Iranian schools and curriculum,

What their school books contain of myths and fables:
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=343965

How their school books represent Ahlul-Sunnah:
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=343961

What their school books teach concerning Arabs:
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=343963
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:21:46 AM by Hani »