TwelverShia.net Forum

Prophet Ibrahim (AS) second greatest human being after Prophet Mohammad (SAW)

Optimus Prime

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

It is the aqida (belief) of the Ahle Sunnah wa al-Jamāh that Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) is the greatest Prophet from among all the Prophets . Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «أَنَا سَيِّدُ وَلَدِ آدَمَ يَوْمَ القِيَامَةِ وَلَا فَخْرَ، وَبِيَدِي لِوَاءُ الحَمْدِ وَلَا فَخْرَ، وَمَا مِنْ نَبِيٍّ يَوْمَئِذٍ آدَمَ فَمَنْ سِوَاهُ إِلَّا تَحْتَ لِوَائِي

سنن الترمذي ت شاكر (5/ 308)

“I am the master of the children of Adam on the Day of Judgement, and I am not boasting. The Banner of Praise will be in my hand, and I am not boasting. There will not be a Prophet on that day, not Adam nor anyone other than him, except that he will be under my banner”. (Tirmizi Shareef)

There are two texts regarding sequence of virtue among all the other Prophets. In the Quran Allah Ta`ala speaks about preference among the Prophets in general. See the following verse:

{تِلْكَ الرُّسُلُ فَضَّلْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَى بَعْضٍ} [البقرة: 253]

“We have given excellence to some of these Rusul (Messengers) over others”. (Quran, al-Baqara, 253)

However, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) has prohibited us from giving preference in virtue to the Prophets. This is understood from the following hadith. 

لاَ تُفَضِّلُوا بَيْنَ أَنْبِيَاءِ اللَّهِ

صحيح البخاري (4/ 159)

“ Don’t give superiority to any Prophet among other Prophets” (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani explains the prohibition as follows:

إنَّما نهى عن ذلك من يقول برأيه، لا من يقوله بدليل، أو من يقوله بحيث يؤدي إلى تنقيص المفضول، أو يؤدي إلى الخصومة والتنازع،

الرسل والرسالات (ص: 224)

“The prohibition of giving superiority to any Prophet over the other is for him who speaks from his intellect and not with any sound proof. Or (the prohibition is for him) whose speech will lead to degrading (one of the Prophets)  or to  an argument”. 

Therefore, many scholars have stated that Ibrahim (alayhi salam) is the greatest Prophet after Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). Consider the following:

Ibn Katheer  says:

وَلَا خِلَافَ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَفْضَلُهُمْ، ثُمَّ بعده إبراهيم، ثم موسى ثم عيسى عليهم السلام على المشهور،

تفسير ابن كثير ط العلمية (5/ 81)

“There is no dispute that Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) is the greatest of Prophets after which is Ibrahim then Musa then Isa according to the famous opinion”.

Imam Suyuti says:

فخليله إبراهيم يليه في التفضيل، فهو أفضل الخلق بعده، نقل بعضهم الإجماع على ذلك

الموسوعة العقدية - الدرر السنية (3/ 470، بترقيم الشاملة آليا)

“The friend of Allah, Ibrahim (alayhi salam) is the greatest of creation after Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). Some (Scholars) have called ijma (consensus) upon this”.

This is also the opinion of Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani  due to the following narration:

عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ، قَالَ: جَاءَ رَجُلٌ إِلَى رَسُولِ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فَقَالَ: يَا خَيْرَ الْبَرِيَّةِ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «ذَاكَ إِبْرَاهِيمُ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامُ     »

صحيح مسلم (4/ 1839)

A man came to the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) and said “O best of creation!”. The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: that is Ibrahim (alayhi salaam) . (Sahih Muslim)

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Hafizurrahman Fatehmahomed

Student Darul Iftaa
Netherlands

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

تفسير الرازي = مفاتيح الغيب أو التفسير الكبير (6/ 521)

أَجْمَعْتِ الْأُمَّةُ عَلَى أَنَّ بَعْضَ الْأَنْبِيَاءِ أَفْضَلُ مِنْ بَعْضٍ، وَعَلَى أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَفْضَلُ مِنَ الْكُلِّ،

البداية والنهاية ط إحياء التراث (1/ 198)

وَلَمَّا كَانَ إِبْرَاهِيمُ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامُ أَفْضَلَ الرُّسُلِ وَأُولِي الْعَزْمِ بَعْدَ مُحَمَّدٍ صَلَوَاتُ اللَّهِ وَسَلَامُهُ عَلَيْهِمْ أَجْمَعِينَ أُمِرَ الْمُصَلِّي أَنْ يَقُولَ فِي تَشَهُّدِهِ مَا ثَبَتَ فِي الصَّحِيحَيْنِ مِنْ حَدِيثِ كَعْبِ بْنِ عُجْرَةَ وغيره قال: قلنا يارسول اللَّهِ هَذَا السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكَ قَدْ عَرَفْنَاهُ فَكَيْفَ الصلاة عليك "

الموسوعة العقدية - الدرر السنية (3/ 470، بترقيم الشاملة آليا)

وقد اختلف العلماء في من يلي النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم في الفضيلة منهم، والمشهور واختاره ابن حجر في شرح البخاري أنه إبراهيم خليل الرحمن، لما ورد أن إبراهيم عليه السلام خير البرية، خص منه محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم بإجماع

Source: http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/34623

Solomon

Salam,
Brother, Isn't things are contradicting each other?
"O Apostle! Deliver what has been sent down to you from your Lord; and if you don't do it, you have not delivered His message (at all); and Allah will protect you from the people ..." (Qur'an 5:67)
Messenger of Allah said:
"For whoever I am his mawla, 'Ali is his mawla."

Rationalist

From what I heard in terms of ranking this is how it goes:

1) Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
2) Prophet Ibrahim(as)
3) Prophet Musa (as)
4) Prophet Isa (as)
5) Prophet Nuh (as)
6) Remaining 313 Messengers
7) Remaining 124,000 Prophets.

Farid

Welcome to the boards brother Solomon. May you have a fun and educational time here.

Hani

My opinion is that holding the flag on the day of judgement as well as leading humankind are a virtue for our prophet (saw) but I do not know nor can I confirm if he is or isn't the best. I follow his instructions and will not prefer any messenger over the rest.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Optimus Prime

Salam,
Brother, Isn't things are contradicting each other?

W/S

Welcome to the forums brother.

What is contradicting?

Optimus Prime

My opinion is that holding the flag on the day of judgement as well as leading humankind are a virtue for our prophet (saw) but I do not know nor can I confirm if he is or isn't the best. I follow his instructions and will not prefer any messenger over the rest.

Asalamualaikum Brother Hani.

I understand your neutral view point.  However, bearing in mind the following:

- The Prophet (SAW) was granted the BIGGEST Ummah.
- It'll be his (SAW) ummah that will enter Jannah first, Insh'Allah.
- No other Prophet, but our Prophet (SAW) has been gifted a miracle to ascend to the heavens as far as our Prophet (SAW) did, and to converse with Allah in reality - Isa (AS), and Idris (AS) are an exception, but neither made it that far.
- All the senior Prophets (AS) will ask mankind to go the Prophet (SAW) to intercede on their behalf.
- The fact that Jibreel (AS) asked our Prophet (SAW) to lead all the other Prophets (AS) in salah.
- The Prophet (SAW) was sent to mankind at large, and not just to set a community/tribe like his predecessors (AS).

You're still undecided whether Mohammad ibn Abdullah (SAW) is the best human being that's ever walked the face of this Earth let alone Prophet? Not to mention this view goes against mass ijtema of classical, and contemporary scholars.

I'm not being disrespectful just clarifying really.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:52:22 PM by Imam Ali »

Noor-us-Sunnah

- The Prophet (SAW) was granted the BIGGEST Ummah.
Invalid. Since there were Prophets(as) who didn't have any follower[Refer Sahih Bukhari 7.606], that doesn't mean they were the last in rank.

- It'll be his (SAW) ummah that will enter Jannah first, Insh'Allah.
It could be that, the last goes first.

- No other Prophet, but our Prophet (SAW) has been gifted a miracle to ascend to the heavens as far as our Prophet (SAW) did, and to converse with Allah in reality - Isa (AS), and Idris (AS) are an exception, but neither made it that far.
Miracles aren't a criteria to judge the rank of Prophets.

- All the senior Prophets (AS) will ask mankind to go the Prophet (SAW) to intercede on their behalf.
This is the strongest point for your case.

- The fact that Jibreel (AS) asked our Prophet (SAW) to lead all the other Prophets (AS) in salah.
It is because he was the active Prophet, that time.

- The Prophet (SAW) was sent to mankind at large, and not just to set a community/tribe like his predecessors (AS).
not a valid point.

Optimus Prime

Asalamualaikum brother Noor-us-Sunnah.

I take it your share Hani's view?

1) I don't think it's invalid. It's a contributing factor to his greatness. This virtue intertwined with the point he was sent to the entire mankind carries a lot of weight in that only the greatest Prophet will be given the most followers, and the first generation will be among the very best followers of any Prophet.

2) It's a very strong indication: http://www.hadithanswers.com/the-large-number-of-jannatis-from-this-ummah/

3) It wasn't just any miracle to prove a Prophet's (AS) point to their respective nation. It was an invitation from the Creator to the best of creation. This miracle in itself outweights all the miracles performed by the other Prophets. It's not everyday someone gets to chill with Jibreel (in their original form) (AS) upstairs, and to witness the great wanders of Jannah.

4) Too right.  ;)

5) Or maybe because he is/was/forever will be the the greatest Prophet? This symbolises he is not the master of mankind, but by extension the master of the Prophets too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:00:11 PM by Imam Ali »

Solomon

“We have given excellence to some of these Rusul (Messengers) over others”. (Quran, al-Baqara, 253)

However, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) has prohibited us from giving preference in virtue to the Prophets.

“ Don’t give superiority to any Prophet among other Prophets” (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

“The prohibition of giving superiority to any Prophet over the other is for him who speaks from his intellect and not with any sound proof. Or (the prohibition is for him) whose speech will lead to degrading (one of the Prophets)  or to  an argument”. 

Once quran has commanded the superiority of one prophet over other then prophet(sa) cannot prohibit it.

Secondly, Ibn hajar's excuse that prophet said this because one should not say from his intellect- is not specifically for this matter but none is allowed to speak from his intellect and without sound proofs in any islamic matter, is well established and well known islamic fact for peoples of all times.
This narration seems to be weak.

A man came to the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) and said “O best of creation!”. The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: that is Ibrahim (alayhi salaam) . (Sahih Muslim)

It is the aqida (belief) of the Ahle Sunnah wa al-Jamāh that Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) is the greatest Prophet from among all the Prophets 

Again you said best one is prophet Muhammad(sa) but your hadith says it is Ibrahim(as).
This hadith seems to be weak.

Wssalam
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:12:39 PM by Solomon »
"O Apostle! Deliver what has been sent down to you from your Lord; and if you don't do it, you have not delivered His message (at all); and Allah will protect you from the people ..." (Qur'an 5:67)
Messenger of Allah said:

Optimus Prime

However, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) has prohibited us from giving preference in virtue to the Prophets.

Once quran has commanded the superiority of one prophet over other then prophet(sa) cannot prohibit it.

Secondly, Ibn hajar's excuse that one should not say from his intellect is not specifically for this matter but none is allowed to speak from his intellect and without sound proof in any islamic matter.

It is the aqida (belief) of the Ahle Sunnah wa al-Jamāh that Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) is the greatest Prophet from among all the Prophets 

Again you said best one is prophet Muhammad(sa) but your hadith says it is Ibrahim(as).

Wssalam

The narration is in Sahih Muslim.

Solomon

Secondly, Ibn hajar's excuse that one should not say from his intellect is not specifically for this matter but none is allowed to speak from his intellect and without sound proof in any islamic matter.

Wssalam

So what can i do brother.
Messenger of Allah said:

Optimus Prime

Wssalam

Nevermind.

Enjoy the forum.

Optimus Prime

An insightful article:

https://islamqa.info/en/97384

==========================================================================

Is there any evidence that our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of creation?.

Published Date: 2007-08-08

Praise be to Allaah.

There is a great deal of evidence about the virtues and unique characteristics of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but as far as we know there is no text that clearly states that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of creation. What has been narrated is that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of mankind and the leader of the sons of Adam.

Muslim (4223) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I will be the leader of the sons of Adam on the Day of Resurrection, and the first one for whom the grave is opened, and the first one to intercede and the first one whose intercession will be accepted.”

The scholars understood from this text and others which speak of the virtues of our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that he is the best of Allaah’s creation.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim:

This hadeeth indicates that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is superior to all of creation, because the view of Ahl al-Sunnah is that humans are better than the angels, and he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is superior to humans and others. End quote.

The scholars all described the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as the best of creation, and it will be sufficient to refer to a few of them, so as to avoid making this article too lengthy.

Imam al-Shaafa’i in al-Umm (4/167)

Imam ‘Abd al-Razzaaq al-San’aani in al-Musannaf (2/419)

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (1/313 and 5/127 and 468)

Ibn al-Qayyim in Tahdheeb al-Sunan, hadeeth no. 1787, quoting from ‘Awn al-Ma’bood.

Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, commentary on hadeeth no. 6229

Al-Mardaawi in al-Insaaf (11/422)

Al-Aloosi in Rooh al-Ma’aani (4/284)

Al-Taahir ibn ‘Ashoor in his Tafseer (2/420)

Al-Sa’di in his Tafseer (51, 185, 699)

Muhammad al-Ameen al-Shanqeeti in Adwa’ al-Bayaan (9/215)

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (2/76, 383)

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas were asked: Should we say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of mankind or the best of creation? Is there any evidence that he is the best of creation as many people say?

They replied:

Many texts in the Qur’aan and Sunnah speak of the greatness of our Prophet Muhammad and his sublime status before his Lord, may He be exalted, through the noble attributes and unique characteristics that Allaah bestowed only upon him, which indicates that he is the best of  creation, the most honoured by Allaah and the greatest in status before Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah has sent down to you the book (the Qur’aan), and Al‑Hikmah (Islamic laws, knowledge of legal and illegal things, i.e. the Prophet’s Sunnah — legal ways), and taught you that which you knew not. And Ever Great is the Grace of Allaah unto you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم)”

[al-Nisa’ 4:113]

It is difficult to list all the different types of honour that Allaah has bestowed, for example: Allaah took him as a close friend (khaleel); He made him the Seal of His Messengers; He revealed the best of His Books to him, and made his message one that applies to both mankind and the jinn until the Day of Resurrection; He forgave him his past and future sins; He caused miracles to happen at his hand that superseded those of all the Prophets who came before him; he will be the leader of the sons of Adam (on the Day of Resurrection), the first one for whom the grave will be opened, and the first one to intercede and the first one whose intercession will be accepted; in his hand will be a banner of praise on the Day of Resurrection; he will be the first one to cross al-siraat (a bridge across Hell), the first one to knock at the gate of Paradise and the first one to enter it … and many other unique characteristics and miracles that are mentioned in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, which led the scholars to agree unanimously that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the greatest of creation in status before Allaah, may He be exalted. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The Muslims are unanimously agreed that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the greatest of creation in status before Allaah, and no other created being has any status that is higher than his or any power of intercession that is greater than his.

From what has been mentioned above and elsewhere it is clear that our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of the Prophets and the best of creation, and the greatest of them in status before Allaah, may He be exalted. But in addition to these virtues and unique characteristics, he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is no more than a human being, so it is not permissible to call upon him or seek his help instead of Allaah, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): ‘I am only a man like you. It has been revealed to me that your Ilâh (God) is One Ilaah (God __ i.e. Allaah). So whoever hopes for the Meeting with his Lord, let him work righteousness and associate none as a partner in the worship of his Lord’”

[al-Kahf 18:110]

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (26/35).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah Aal al-Shaykh, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) did not confirm that, noting that there is no clear text concerning that, and he said:

The well known view of many scholars is that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of creation.

But in order to be on the safe side we should say: Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the leader of the sons of Adam and the best of mankind and the best of the Prophets, and so on, following what is said in the texts. I do not know of any report which says that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of all creation in all senses. … So it is better in such matters to follow what it says in the texts. For example, if someone asks: Did Allaah favour the sons of Adam in general over all other created beings? We would say: No, because Allaah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“And indeed We have honoured the Children of Adam, and We have carried them on land and sea, and have provided them with At‑Tayyibaat (lawful good things), and have preferred them above many of those whom We have created with a marked preferment”

[al-Isra’ 17:70]

He did not say “above all of those whom We have created”. Therefore it is better for a person who adhere to that which is mentioned in the texts and not go beyond that. Praise be to Allaah, we know that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the Seal of the Prophets and the noblest and best of the Messengers, the most honoured of them by Allaah, may He be exalted. The evidence for that in the Qur’aan and Sunnah is well known. As for that for which there is no clear evidence, then in order to be on the safe side we should refrain from that. But it is well known that you will find many scholars saying that Muhammad is the noblest of creation. End quote from Liqaa’aat al-Baab il-Maftoohah (53/11).

Moin

There are those who consider Ibrahim (alaihissalam) superior than Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam). I guess Ibn Hazm was one of those.

Optimus Prime

There are those who consider Ibrahim (alaihissalam) superior than Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam). I guess Ibn Hazm was one of those.

Asalamualaikum brother Moin.

Can, you provide a reference?

Solomon

Wssalam

Nevermind.

Enjoy the forum.
No brother i didn't mind ,i just told where you were contradicting and why hadith you quoted seemed to be weak.
Messenger of Allah said:

Optimus Prime

Wssalam

Nevermind.

Enjoy the forum.
No brother i didn't mind ,i just told where you were contradicting and why hadith you quoted seemed to be weak.

There was no contradiction. I would re-read the fatwa again.

There is consensus among the scholars of Ahlus Sunnah that every Hadith in Sahih Bukhari/Muslim are sound or authentic.