TwelverShia.net Forum

Question for Shias

Layla

Question for Shias
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
After doing matam or crying for Ahlul Bayt do you guys feel depressed or feel like being watched? Do the gem stones you wear help you in anyway?

muslim720

Re: Question for Shias
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
After doing matam or crying for Ahlul Bayt do you guys feel depressed or feel like being watched? Do the gem stones you wear help you in anyway?

Salaam alaykum wa rahmatullah,

As a non-Shi'i who has attended quite a few lectures (and the matam thereafter without any participation), allow me to add my two cents.

Being around all the crying and chest-slapping, I reflect on my life (all my past deeds and where I need to be).  Those who cry around me, on the other hand, can (afterwards) sit down and eat a "blessed" meal which I find hard to come to terms with.  After all that wailing and chest-beating, how can anyone eat?  The last thing I would do, when I'm crying or depressed, is eat.  So perhaps they do not feel depressed.  Perhaps they feel freed from carrying a burden; crying can certainly help with that.

As for being watched, they always dim the lights so as to give everyone a chance at some privacy.

Although I could not attend any of the lectures this year (ending my 6 years of attendance streak), I have never felt unwanted.  In fact last year, there were a few Sunnis (including myself) who attended the lectures so diligently that the sheikh/imam delivering the talk opened one of his lectures on a particular night by highlighting the fact that it is incumbent, according to Sunnis, to follow in the footsteps of Ahlul Bayt (ra).  Being an Afghan (like myself), the sheikh recalled how at every Friday prayer in Kabul, he would hear the surrounding Sunni mosques speak highly of the merits of Ahlul Bayt (ra) and announce them openly and explicitly on loudspeakers.

I had mixed reactions; I appreciated him taking the time and effort to clear that up while also being annoyed that such a misconception (that Sunnis do not care about Ahlul Bayt) is prevalent amongst Shias.
"Our coward ran from those in authority" - Iceman (admitting the truth regarding his 12th Imam)

MuslimAnswers

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
Being around all the crying and chest-slapping, I reflect on my life (all my past deeds and where I need to be).  Those who cry around me, on the other hand, can (afterwards) sit down and eat a "blessed" meal which I find hard to come to terms with.  After all that wailing and chest-beating, how can anyone eat?  The last thing I would do, when I'm crying or depressed, is eat.  So perhaps they do not feel depressed.  Perhaps they feel freed from carrying a burden; crying can certainly help with that.

What I understand as a Non-12er, some people can envision their existence only as a victimized group; outside that, their anxiety would reach unbearable levels. This is why we see them eating, even listening to music and watching funny videos just before and after their sessions, sometimes even during the sessions - this is why it would be taken as a form of token of ritualized belonging within the community.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:55:01 AM by MuslimAnswers »

muslim720

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:24:01 PM »
What I understand as a Non-12er, some people can envision their existence only as a victimized group; outside that, their anxiety would reach unbearable levels. This is why we see them eating, even listening to music and watching funny videos just before and after their sessions, sometimes even during the sessions - this is why it would be taken as a form of token of ritualized belonging within the community.

When I was doing my undergrad, I knew this large Shi'i family members of whom were in my study group.  They (mostly girls) would make fun of their male cousins that they go to clubs after they do matam for Imam Hussain (ra)  :-\
"Our coward ran from those in authority" - Iceman (admitting the truth regarding his 12th Imam)

iceman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »

Very strange replies you've got. But that's freedom of speech for you. OK, you've mentioned two things; 1, Matam and 2, Crying. As far as Matam is concerned certain members of the Shia community do that, so that's to do with the Shias. As far as crying is concerned this has to do with nature and every eye cries. It depends what it takes.

Sunnis as well as Shias cry when they here about the Martyres of Karbala, how they were killed. And also about how the prisoners were treated when they were taken. So your words "do you guys" is or has to be both Sunnis as well as Shias.

Secondly it doesn't matter what it is, accident or incident, it depends on how serious and tragic it is. The more serious and tragic the greater the reaction. Matam isn't a ritual but in fact a reaction. Everyone reacts and behaves differently.

And if it wasn't for Matam and the outcry would the terrible, horrible and tragic incident of Karbala get the attention and recognition that it has regardless?

iceman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »

Have you ever cried? If you have then would you mind telling us why and how you felt after crying.

The answer to your question, after doing Matam and or crying people feel relieved, they feel somewhat at ease after commemorating such a tragic incident.

iceman

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
When I was doing my undergrad, I knew this large Shi'i family members of whom were in my study group.  They (mostly girls) would make fun of their male cousins that they go to clubs after they do matam for Imam Hussain (ra)  :-\

What a cheap quote. If there are a few bad beans in a tin or packet don't blame the entire tin or packet. And what about those mature, learned and educated Sunnis who go out and plan and commit terror offences?

muslim720

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
What a cheap quote. If there are a few bad beans in a tin or packet don't blame the entire tin or packet. And what about those mature, learned and educated Sunnis who go out and plan and commit terror offences?

It is not a quote; I was stating a fact!  I find it hard to believe that people who mourn can turn around and have a feast, literally minutes later apart.  Coupled with the fact that some people go as far as clubbing, I wonder if they truly commemorate and glorify Imam Hussain (ra) or pretend to do just that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:34:52 PM by muslim720 »

iceman

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
It is not a quote; I was stating a fact!  I find it hard to believe that people who mourn can turn around and have a feast, literally minutes later apart.  Coupled with the fact that some people go as far as clubbing, I wonder if they truly commemorate and glorify Imam Hussain (ra) or pretend to do just that.

Well I suppose we must take your word for it. I think your word is good enough and we won't ask for any evidence of any sort to back your claim. Mmmm?

muslim720

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
Well I suppose we must take your word for it. I think your word is good enough and we won't ask for any evidence of any sort to back your claim. Mmmm?

What do you want from me?  An apology because certain Shias ratted on their own cousins?  Or, for the fact that you can eat after having "mourned"?

Layla

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 12:38:44 AM »
Very strange replies you've got. But that's freedom of speech for you. OK, you've mentioned two things; 1, Matam and 2, Crying. As far as Matam is concerned certain members of the Shia community do that, so that's to do with the Shias. As far as crying is concerned this has to do with nature and every eye cries. It depends what it takes.

Sunnis as well as Shias cry when they here about the Martyres of Karbala, how they were killed. And also about how the prisoners were treated when they were taken. So your words "do you guys" is or has to be both Sunnis as well as Shias.

Secondly it doesn't matter what it is, accident or incident, it depends on how serious and tragic it is. The more serious and tragic the greater the reaction. Matam isn't a ritual but in fact a reaction. Everyone reacts and behaves differently.

And if it wasn't for Matam and the outcry would the terrible, horrible and tragic incident of Karbala get the attention and recognition that it has regardless?
You didn’t answer the questions. Please answer them and I’ll explain why I asked them.

Layla

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 12:43:17 AM »
Have you ever cried? If you have then would you mind telling us why and how you felt after crying.

The answer to your question, after doing Matam and or crying people feel relieved, they feel somewhat at ease after commemorating such a tragic incident.
Iceboy I knew you would do this! Instead of answering my questions you start asking questions.

iceman

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
Iceboy I knew you would do this! Instead of answering my questions you start asking questions.

What, you love asking but not answering 😊  And your response tells me your asking just to toy around. I knew that as well. 😊
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:13:38 AM by iceman »

iceman

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 01:15:53 AM »
What do you want from me?  An apology because certain Shias ratted on their own cousins?  Or, for the fact that you can eat after having "mourned"?

No. Just start being honest with yourselves. And that is you hold a definite grudge against Shias. Anything positive and useful about Shias. I don't think so. 😊

Layla

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »
What, you love asking but not answering 😊  And your response tells me your asking just to toy around. I knew that as well. 😊
I’m not “toying around”. One of the reasons I asked these questions was because several Shias told me they had some unusual things happen to them after doing matam and gem stones affect them.

iceman

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
I’m not “toying around”. One of the reasons I asked these questions was because several Shias told me they had some unusual things happen to them after doing matam and gem stones affect them.

I just love how you people come up with such stories. And they always come from people like you. And these stories and tales always seem to be negative. What a coincidence hey.

Mythbuster1

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
You won’t get much from iceman........he still needs to answer clearly on promotion theory since he has failed miserably on divine Imamate theory it’s been months he also tried using imam asims vids to portray something else as well as failing to answer with other brothers in here, I wouldn’t be surprised if this thread turns into a farce all he ever does is endlessly banging on about how Sunnis hate shiites and it’s Sunni agenda spreading lies and he will conclude with........oh the event of saqifa.😉
All hot air and no substance.
This guy is just full of it to be honest.

muslim720

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
No. Just start being honest with yourselves. And that is you hold a definite grudge against Shias. Anything positive and useful about Shias. I don't think so. 😊

If I could get a dollar for every stupid comment you post! 

iceman

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
If I could get a dollar for every stupid comment you post!

Yeh. Just because you said it then it must be a stupid comment. Well you're the judge and it's your house. You're the host and I'm the guest. That's the difference. Ufff the amount of negativity you get about the Shias. Everything that is asked and said is just to try and paint a terrible picture about Shias. What can we say and do to catch out and score. Yallah!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:51:14 PM by iceman »