TwelverShia.net Forum

An Open Letter to Shiachatters

Farid

An Open Letter to Shiachatters
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »
Bismillah alrahman alraheem,

According to a quick google search, it has been eight years since I became a member of Shiachat for the first time. Like many Sunnis, I was intimidated by what seemed to be like an intimidating sea of knowledgeable users. The texts, the argumentation, the terminology, it all felt so foreign to me at the time. However, I did not hesitate in engaging in conversation with some of those that were levels and stages above me in knowledge. I did not hold the belief that I could not talk to someone simply because they had more knowledge than me. Instead, I did not hesitate to carefully read what they offered. Even though I remained a Sunni, I was open-minded enough to change my views about specific matters mainly thanks to those that took the time to teach me.

A few years down the road, I became more active in the field and took it upon myself to share what I know through posting articles on this website. However, I never found this as satisfying as engaging in the conversations that I once had with Shias. Unfortunately, many of the invitations to this forum have been rejected.

Another attempt was made to bring Shiachatters to our Zello conversations. However, that has mainly failed as well. It takes three minutes to download and install the application, so that can't be the reason behind this hesitation can it?

I have been around Shias since I was a child and I have known for a fact that Shias are very proud of their beliefs. Nothing could make them more happy than a Sunni asking them about Ahlulbayt. So what is the reason that Shias do not want to engage in dialogue with Sunnis today?

As one Shia brother put it, the online Sunni-Shia community is currently unbalanced because of the strength of the Sunnis in the field today. Yes, things have indeed changed since 2008, and Sunnis are academically superior today, and this reality has become very clear. Today, it is the Shias that shy away from conversations. The best they can hope for is refer to the Sunni as a "Nasibi" while hoping that other Shias would listen and avoid the Sunni in question.

It is with the above in mind that I extend my hand towards the intelligent Shias of Shiachat, asking them to grab a cup of coffee, sit down, and talk to me.

Do not be intimidated.

Is it that you love Shiasm so much that you would rather not find out if it is the truth or not?

Sure, you think you have challenged your own beliefs by reading an article or two. Though, is that really enough to make a judgement on Sunnism?

This is an invitation. Not to Twelvershia.net or any "Nasibi" website.

This is an invitation to have a conversation on a third-party application called Zello.

No, you don't need to join the Twelvershia.net channel on the program. You can simply add me and we can talk.

May Allah bless you all.

Farid

Re: An Open Letter to Shiachatters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »

Optimus Prime

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
They have a point. We don't join their site for the same reason they can't be bothered or/and not interested to join ours.

Having said that, I believe engaging in audible chit-chat is the next big thing.

Farid

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
That is why I told them to come to Zello. No need for them to join the channel. They can make their own.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »
That is why I told them to come to Zello. No need for them to join the channel. They can make their own.

That's a neat idea, but judging by the posts they're not keen to engage in any sort of dialogue.

I wonder if that's genuine or just masking the reality that they're not in a position to justify their heretical beliefs.

Farid

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 06:23:37 PM »
It is the latter. Remember, they have a discussion forum for Sunni/Shia debate .

MuslimAnswers

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 06:33:57 PM »
Salam Alaykum,

How much do the current conflicts (which basically have morphed into open Sunni-Shia war) have to do with dislike to engage in discussion?

My guess is quite a lot, since there are many people on both sides considering the other as the incarnation of the Devil that has to be physically eliminated by all means possible, a situation quite dissimilar from what we may have had say 18-20 years ago, wherein the resources were few, and animosity was there also, but not to the level of open warfare everywhere as we see today.