TwelverShia.net Forum

How could the Prophet (SAWS) not appoint a successor - BEST REFUTATIONS

Ebn Hussein

One of the (apparent) more stronger arguments of the Rafidah is their infamous question that they pose to every Sunni that they meet once in their life, believing that they got anything against the Ahlus-Sunnah:

"How could the Prophet (SAWS) not appoint a successor."

Rafidah go as far as to (as usual) blatantly lie on the Ahlus-Sunnah, like in this website where they claim:

http://www.seratonline.com/23595/did-the-holy-prophet-s-a-w-a-make-the-nation-responsible-to-select-a-successor/

Read all of their six authentic books of traditions (Sihah-e-sittah) and we do not find a single statement from the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) that appointing a successor is crucial for the guidance of the Muslims. That he (s.a.w.a.) understands its importance but is unable to appoint a successor and therefore he (s.a.w.a.) is delegating the responsibility to the Muslims.

This is of course a clear-cut lie, of course the Prophet (SAWS) talked numerous time about a concept called Khilafah, he even mentioned how long the best and most righteous Cliphate of all times will last (refer to the 30 years Caliph i.e. the exact period of time that Abu Bakr till Ali+Al-Hassan ruled!)

On many Shia websites and in discussion you will hear their broken record (here taken from a question and answer Rafidi website):

It is an indisputable fact that Abu-Bakr appointed Omar to succeed him (Sahih Muslim p.1455), and so did Omar for Othman although indirectly. Similarly, Mo’awiya appointed his vicious son; Yazid, out of his concern for the Ummah of the Prophet (P)! Then is it possible that the Prophet of Islam (P) had no concern about the future of his Ummah?!

Whenever the Prophet (P) left Madina he used to appoint someone to be in charge of the affairs of Muslims. For instance, He appointed Imam Ali (a.s) when he left Madina for the Battle of Tabouk ((Bukhari 4:1602). He was also appointing leaders for different tribes and towns such as Ta’ef, Yemen, etc. Is it possible that he did not appoint any leader for the Ummah to succeed him after his demise?!

Ignore the blatant lies (Abu Bakr did NOT appoint Omar, he ASKED the Shuraa if they would accept him, guess who was part of the "Taghooti" Shuraa ... YES, ALI! Also Omar did not appoint Othman. What Omar did was to INVITE Ali, Othman, Abdurrahman Al-Awf and other famous Sahaba so they can SELECT the new caliph!) and let's focus on there every repeated question in bold. One of the best answers I've recently read was (ironically) by our Ex-Shia brother Husayn from Lebanon (who LITERALLY debated us over a DECADE on the old forum, as a Shia back then!) who alhamdulillah has been guided to Islam and has left the religion of the Twelver Shia, here is what he wrote:

1. REFUTATION BY AN EX-SHIA (HUSAYN)

Source: Excellent thread: http://forum.twelvershia.net/imamah-ghaybah/rasul-allah-(saw)-and-the-divine-order-of-imamah/

Great article bro Hani - I really do envy your attention to detail.

Barak-Allahu feek brother, most of this is not from my pocket but I took a lot from scholars, books and researchers.

InshaAllah soon I'll try to write something answering apparently logical question of:

"Why Rasul-Allah (saw) never appointed a leader?"

Although before I write a refutation of that, I'd love to hear answers by you guys to this seemingly logical question.

Yes, I used to use this argument alot back in the days. It would be the first argument I'd make to a Sunni.

This question is thought of as a trump-card by Shiites. They believe that Ahlul Sunnah have no answer to it. They even compare it with leaving a will. They'll say, "Doesn't the Qur'an order a Muslim to leave a will? Then how can the Prophet (saws) not have left a will?" As if leaving a will has anything to do with appointing a leader. A will is a personal document, setting out one's affairs. Well, we know that the Prophet (saws) did indeed leave a will, and he still didn't appoint a successor in it.

The overriding argument that the Shiites make is, "How can the Prophet not have left a successor? Why would he leave the people after him without any leadership?" The point that they try to make is that by not appointing a successor the Prophet (saws) failed in his mission, and let the religion be corrupted at the end.

Well, to this I say that the Shiites cannot have their cake and eat it too. How so? Well:

Shiites claim that he appointed 'Ali (ra) as his successor. Well, we know that 'Ali (ra) was not accepted as the successor after the Prophet (saws). So we are left with the following conclusions:

a) All the Muslims were unaware that 'Ali (ra) was appointed the successor. If so, the Prophet (saws) failed in delivering the message. He clearly did a poor job in informing the Muslim masses of 'Ali (ra)'s appointment.

b) The Muslims did know about 'Ali (ra)'s appointment, but they all rejected it. If so, the Prophet (saws) failed in his mission. He failed to reform the Arabs, and at the end of it the Muslims whom the Prophet (saws) spent decades educating abandoned his religion the moment he died. This ofcourse is the belief of the Shiites, because they cannot possibly accept option a). If Shiites want to believe that 'Ali (ra) was the appointed successor, then they must believe that basically all the Muslims after the Prophet (saws)'s death were hypocrites, apostates and kuffar.

I mean, how can we possibly consider the Prophet (saws) to have been a successful Messenger if this is the case? Was Prophethood just about delivering a message, or was it about changing the people? Clearly the people were not changed, and clearly they did not respect the Prophet (saws). This ofcourse flies in the face of all the facts that we possess.

Did the Prophet (saws) appoint a leader?

ANSWER: NO, THE PROPHET (SAWS) DID NOT SPECIFY WHO WOULD LEAD THE MUSLIMS AFTER HIM.

This was not his mission. His mission did not include appointing a successor, because he cannot have a successor. He is the last of the Prophets. I do not believe the term "khalif" is rightfully translated as "successor". It is better translated as "deputy" or something similar.

His mission was to deliver the message, to reform the people and the society, teach them halal & haram, teach them the compulsory and recommended acts, inform them of the Day of Judgement and so on.

The point of his mission is that if he is successful in teaching the people, then the people should be able to take care of themselves after him. This includes choosing a suitable leader.

Infact, the Prophet (saws) did teach the people about leadership.

He himself appointed people to rule when he left a place. The Shiites take this as a lesson that he must have left a successor, and the argument is "If he appointed someone in his place when he left a town, how can he not have appointed someone when he left the people for good!?!".

As usual, the Shiites muddle up and confuse the issue, as is typical of extremists.

The lesson that they should take, instead, is that when the Prophet acted as a leader, he was demonstrating how a person should lead. Appointing a representative when he left a town was indeed emulated by the Khalifs after him - by appointing governers and deputies to represent them.

We know that the Prophet (saws) would allow the companions to convey their opinions in certain matters. Such as the Treaty of Hudaybiyah, when the companions argued, or the Battle of the Trench, when they recommended building a ditch and other similar cases.

What does this show?

To the Shiites, ofcourse, any arguing that the companions did is evidence that they are kuffar who liked to argue with the Prophet. As usual, the extremist and nonsensical conclusion.

Rather, it shows that the Prophet (saws) encouraged consultation and a spirit of community. He was teaching the Muslims to govern their affairs through consultation and as a community.

Long story short, what did the Muslims do when the Prophet (saws) died? Did they kill each other of leadership and destroy Islam?

No - they elected the best man amongst them, and then the best man after him, and they strengthened Islam and made the Ummah into a superpower.

So did the Prophet (saws) fail in his mission? On the contrary, he succeeded as no Prophet succeeded before him, and we Muslims will never achieve the power that we once had until we emulate those who the Prophet (saws) taught with his own hands.

----

That's my rambling answer, I look forward to the more scholarly and academic answer from Hani.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:14:22 AM by Ebn Hussein »
الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله
لم أر أحداً من أهل الأهواء أشهد بالزور من الرافضة! - الخطيب في الكفاية والسوطي.

Imam Al-Shafi3i - may Allah have mercy upon him - said: "I have not seen among the heretics a people more famous for falsehood than the Rafidah." [narrated by Al-Khatib Al-Baghdadi/Al-Kifayah]

Ebn Hussein

Re: How could the Prophet (SAWS) not appoint a successor - BEST REFUTATIONS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:13:41 AM »
2. REFUTATION BY A SHIA SCHOLAR

Yes, ironically the second refutation is by a Shia scholar. Ayatullah Kamal Al-Haydari seems to start using his brain and brings a very strong argument as to why the apparently logical and strong Shia argument ("How can the Prophet leave the world without a successor") is actually anything but strong and this will not just become clear for any truth-seeker by actually analysing the TRUE Sunni stance (which is NOT the naive claim that the Prophet just left the world without preparing anything, that's the Shia accusation, the Sunni position is that the Prophet PREPARED his companions with ALL neccass. knowledge to appoint a successor after him and in future!) but rather by contemp. Shia politics that prove the Sunni methodology politically and ethnically (and religiously anyway, as per our sources) right.

Here the video:

Here a quite detailed summary (in bullet point):

- He says that the Sunni will ask us that it is us the Shia (Rawafid) who claim that acc. to customs, logic etc. it is impossible that any leader, let alone the Prophet (SAWS) leaves the world without clearly appointing a leader.

- He says this is one of the strongest arguments the Shias have (but wait how he will destroy this argument by his own hands)

- The accursed enemy of Allah and kafir Al-Haydari then says that it is us Shias who say it is unlogical (that the Prophet did not appoint a successor), especially keeping in mind that Islam around the time of the Prophet's (SAWS) demise was in a dangerous state, surrounded by enemies, like the hypocrites. He then explicitely says that the hypocrites (worse than any Mushrik kafir) were those who became caliphs straight after Rasulullah (SAWS) i.e. Abu Bakr, Omar etc. As for the enemies outside Arabia then he mentions Rome and his masters the Majoosi Persians.

- Based on the aforementioned he says that we (the Shias) say to our opponents (the Sunnis): The Prophet (SAWS) who did not even leave Madinah without appointed a deputy, does it make sense then that he left the Ummah after his demise without a successor?!!?

- He goes on saying that this famous Shia argument ("How can the Prophet leave the world without a successor") is also an essential part of the concept of "Wilayat Al-Faqih" (Guardianship of the Jurist or Providence of the Jurist (Arabic: ولاية الفقيه, Wilayat al Faqih) is a post-Age-of-Occultation theory in Shiism which holds that during the occultation of their 12th Imam the faqīh (Islamic jurist) has custodianship over people i.e. he is his deputy!)

- He further goes on (on the often ignored and in fact biggest flaw of Shiism that proves THEIR hypocracy) saying that the Shias themselves (after the demise of the 11th Imam) where left without an infallible GUIDE who is GUIDING (and not hiding), their hidden saviour is in occultation so in modern times Shias (like Khomeini, Montazeri) invented the concept of "Wilayat Al-Faqih" i.e. Guardianship of the Jurist in the absence of the 12th Imam i.e. basically his deputy.

- (Now he start destroying the foundation of this Shia argument that seems to be strong outwardly yet it's more muddy than the mud of Karbala' where the Rawafidh use to soak themselves into): It seems that he reads from a Sunni book (a scholars refuting Shiism), there he reads a part where the Sunni scholar says that the famous Shia argument  ("How can the Prophet leave the world without a successor") seems to be apparently strong but in reality it is anything but that and the irony is that Al-Haydari is proving the weakness of this argument to his students (probably to prevent them using it in future like the Jahil Shia masses and even scholars):

- He reads the argument of the (I guess) Sunni scholar who basically will counter back by saying that first of all if the Shias use this argument as a "Dharurah" (necessity) then LOGICALLY they must apply it (the argument) in all instances and for all times. Secondly the Shia argument is nothing but a "Nadhariyyah" and not the absolute truth, this is (as Al-Haydari says) because every Sunni can LOGICALLY destroy that argument in the case of the Prophet (SAWS) NOT having appointed a successor by some few but strong points which are the following:

1. You Shias have Soo' Al-Dhann (bad opinion) about the MAJORITY of the companions in general whereas the Prophet (SAWS) had a good opinion about them (i.e. he trusted them).

2. Hence your (apparently logical) Shia argument is based upon a FALSE PREMISE i.e. that the majority of the Sahaba (as special his closest companions!) were a bunch of Dunya-Seeking Munafiqs and traitors!

3. The Prophet (SAWS) on the other hand trusted them and KNEW (due to his upringing of them) that they will not betray him and gather upon the best man after him (at Saqifah and then later the majority of the Sahaba gave the Bay3a to Abu Bakr) i.e. Islam did NOT become leaderless, the Prophet DID prepare everything and his companions gathered upon the best man after him (without him appointing him).

- (Now it gets interesting again, now Al-Haydari moves on brining a contemp. political reality of the very country that he resides in into the discussion, proving that the Shia argument is not just weak, but also quite hypocritical in the light of their OWN system and the decisions of their OWN modern day leaders!): Al-Haydari addressing the Iranians (and Arabs who lived for a long time in Iran) in the room (he lives in Qom for over two decades or more) saying that they should know better how bad of an argument the famous line of the Shia is  ("How can the Prophet leave the world without a successor").

- He brings the example of the kafir Khomeini. Al-Haydari the Munafiq sends blessing upon him as if Khomeini is some sort of angel he says may Allah sanctify Khomeini's soul! Remember, this is the same Munafiq who a few lines before accused the absolute majority of the Sahaba of being traitors and Munafiq Kafirs who usurped the Caliphate! Those who were generally praised by Allah are Munafiqs but a mass murdering pagan like Khomeini is supposed to have a holy soul!!!! Khomeini who said:

"إن الذين لم يكن لهم ارتباط بالإسلام والقرآن إلا لأجل الرئاسة والدنيا ، و كانوا يجعلون القرآن وسيلة لمقاصدهم الفاسدة ، كان من الممكن أن يحرفوا هذا الكتاب السماوي في حالة ذكر اسم الإمام في القرآن و أن يمسحوا هذه الآيات منه و أن يلصقوا وصمة العار هذه على حياة المسلمين"
كشف الأسرار ( ص 114 ).

Those (referring to sahaba) who had no attachment with Islam and Qur'an except for sake of Leadership and the World, and used to make Qur'an a means for their corrupt goals, it was possible for them to alter this Heavenly Book (Qur'an) whenever the name of Imam in Qur'an was mentioned, and erase those verses and attach stigma and shame on the lives of muslims.

(Kashful Asrar Page 114)

Anyways, he says that Khomeini himself did NOT appoint an successor!

-  Now Al-Haydari directs all the questions that Shias normally direct to Sunnis to his students, asking them if they (Shias) can now accuse Khomeini of acting irrational, not caring about the revolution etc.

- Al-Haydari provides the answer that every Shia who defends Khomeini will bring and says that of course we (the Shia) will argue that Khomeini did not act irrational nor wasn't he careless about the revolution when he did NOT appoint a successor, rather the people SURROUNDING him (i.e. HIS Sahabah/companions) were people whom he trusted i.e. he KNEW that they will appoint a SUCCESSOR after him and this what actually happened (i.e. Khomeini's followers did not fall into chaos, rather they were UNITED upon one leader just like the Sahaba under Abu Bakr!)

- At 4:50 he does a bit of a mocking advising his Shias not to be to sure about their apparently strong and logical argument ("How can the Prophet leave the world without a successor") cause as Al-Haydari has proven, it is anything but an invincible argument.

- Finally he says that the Sunni will basically refute you (Shia) by saying that all your (Shia) argument is based on a false premise i.e. that the Sahaba in general (except a tiny number) are not just untrustworthy (ghayr 3udool) but in fact Murtaddeen (apostates) so based on this false premises your Shia house has been built. As for the reality, then we the Sunnis have evidence that the Sahaba (despite not being infallible of course) were still generally trustworthy i.e. the Prophet (SAWS) trusted them just as your Khomeini trusted HIS close companions (Khamenei, Rafsanjani etc.). The Sunni (Al-Haydari says) will argue that the close companions of the Prophet were not just some random people but his close students, with some he spent more than 20 years with, raised them, nutured them, advised them etc.

- He brings a final quote from Khomeini that despite NOT having selected a successor (in the age of Television back in his time where nobody could doubt his message!) Khomeini was very much relaxed, certain and confident in the last stage of his life, this is illustrated by Khomeini's famous statement in his WASIYYAH (testament!) when he said:

ا دلی آرام و قلبی مطمئن و روحی شاد و ضمیری امیدوار به فضل خدا ازخدمت خواهران و برادران مرخص ، و به سوی جایگاه ابدی سفر می كنم

With a peaceful mind, a certain heart, a happy spirit, and a conscience hopeful for God's mercy, I take my leave of all brothers and sisters to journey to the eternal abode.

Source: Last Will and Testamant of Imam Khomeini: http://www.erfan.ir/article/article.php?id=16171

Lastly he goes on challenging Shia scholars to address this "conflict" and objection of Sunnis (probably he will come up with some mumbo jumbo falsafah himself in the near future, after all the Majoos of Iran are feeding him and you don't bite the hand that ...)

الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله

Imam Al-Shafi3i - may Allah have mercy upon him - said: "I have not seen among the heretics a people more famous for falsehood than the Rafidah." [narrated by Al-Khatib Al-Baghdadi/Al-Kifayah]

Ebn Hussein

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:34:32 AM »
I believe their Safawi revolution is one of the biggest Hujjah AGAINST the Rafidah in modern times. I mean, it's like Allah wants to expose them to every human being who possesses a working brain. I am not shocked that Shias don't ponder too much about these contradictions and blatant hypocritical stances such as:

A Prophet NOT appointing a successor yet raising close companions for few decades, having full trust in them i.e. his Sahabah who selecting a caliph at Saqifah Bani Saa'idah and then the majority of the rest of the Ummah united the next day on the best man amongst them

= HARAAM in and by itself (rulers must always be appointed by Allah the Rafidah normally say!)

Khomeini NOT appointing a successor yet raising close students (companions) for a few decades, having full trust in them (bunch of Majoos of Iran who can't even pronounce Al-Fatihah and Al-Ikhlas with correct makhaarij) who then after his demise SELECTED Khomeini's successor at the "Assembly of Experts" (Majlis-E-Khobregan)

= Halal and Islamic

The audacity of the Rafidah has reached hights highter than the Tehran Milad tower, in fact it was from the Qadr of Allah that this Nifaq of them has been recorded for future generations so every man of intellect can see what sort of hypocrites they are (when Sunni Shura is to their advantage they use it)...

look here, Rafidah playing the Saqifah Bani Saa'ida game ... SELECTING a successor for Khomeini who did NOT select a successor, leaving it to the EXPERTS at the Majles-e Khobregan or Majles-e Khebregan-e Rahbari‎, also translated as Council of Experts where Shia Mujtahids (Ayatullahs) are charged with electing and removing the Supreme Leader of Iran and supervising his activities.

There above you can see how the Majoos of Iran played the Saqifah game, selecting their leader, the MAJORITY (not all) selected Khamenei.

الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله

Ebn Hussein

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:41:36 AM »
Kayhan newspaper title: "The spirit of Allah (Ruhullah) returned to Allah"

As we know "the spirit of Allah" did not appoint any successor, he just raised them, taught them etc. for decades ...

Newspaper title: "Khamenei registered himself as a canditate for the presidency" (he eventually became president before he was appointed as the "Rahbar/Wali Al-Faqih" of Iran and the Rafidah. Bilaa tashbih, I don't wanna compare this Mushrik to our beloved Ali (RA) but Ali himself was invited to ALL three so called "tyrannical" Shuras of the first three caliphs, and guess what, he participated in ALL of them (not exposing them but participating in selecting a leader which is kufr according to Shiism!):

Remember when Rawafidh desperately try to look for every Sahabi who did not give Bay3ah to Abu Bakr Al-Siddiq (as if the Caliphate is only valid if every single Muslim in the world give the Bay3ah!!!), the likes of Saad Ibn 'Ubada (who acc. to some scholars never give the Bay3ah!) or Ali Ibn Abi Talib (initially, all Sunnis know that he eventually gave Bay3ah, NOT for unity reason lies of the Rafidah but because Abu Bakr apologised and explained why he rushed to Saqifah and did not consult Ali and other Sahaba. Ali was PLEASED and gave Bay3ah like a real man, no Taqiyyah), well, look here a newspaper from the time when Khamenei was elected, it says that the MARAJI' (Grand Ayatullahs) of Iran gave their pledge of allegiance and said that Khamenei's rulership is VALID and must be obeyed!

I am pretty sure there were THOUSANDS of Iranians who were not ready to give the pledge and even some MUJTAHIDS (like Ayatullah Montazeri who is the mind behind the Wilayat Al-Faqih concept and not Khomeini!):

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:30:22 AM by Ebn Hussein »
الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله

MuslimK

• +11/-0
  • یا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبی علی دینک
    • Refuting Shia allegations everywhere
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
Excellent thread!

I remember reading somewhere that they now also use 4:59 to justify the government in Iran or the rule of their leader.

در خلافت میل نیست ای بی‌خبر
میل کی آید ز بوبکر و عمر
میل اگر بودی در آن دو مقتدا
هر دو کردندی پسر را پیشوا

عطار نِیشابوری

www.Nahjul-Balagha.net | www.TwelverShia.net | www.ghadirkhumm.com

Hani

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:57:29 PM »
InshaAllah I can write a topic on this matter soon because I might get very busy at the end of this month.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Hani

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
here a gift for bro Ebn Hussein, just finished it now
Rasul-Allah (saw) and the future of the Ummah
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:45:27 PM by Hani »
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Husayn

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:26:01 AM »
As usual, very detailed.

You also raised another good argument - why would Rasul Allah (saws) appoint 'Ali to leadership right before he died? Isn't that negligent? He should have appointed him to leadership for atleast a few years. Infact, Rasul Allah (saws) should have just stepped outside and let 'Ali rule, in order to solidify his leadership.
إن يتبعون إلا الظن وما تهوى الأنفس

Ebn Hussein

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 03:29:29 AM »
الله يسلمك اخي هاني
الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله