TwelverShia.net Forum

Is eating dog permitted in the Maliki mazhab ?

Is eating dog permitted in the Maliki mazhab ?
« on: November 30, 2015, 12:03:48 AM »
Salam

I have been hearing from most people (especially Shias) that Imam Malik permitted eating dog i.e He said it is "Makrouh".

Is this true ?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:06:49 AM by Abubakar »

Farid

Re: Is eating dog permitted in the Maliki mazhab ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:38:40 AM »
Wa alaykum alsalam wa rahmatullah,

Maybe Ebn Hussein can answer that. He has been reading into the Maliki mahhab. I'll let him know about this thread.

MuslimK

• +11/-0
  • یا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبی علی دینک
    • Refuting Shia allegations everywhere
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:58:26 AM »
Salam

I have been hearing from most people (especially Shias) that Imam Malik permitted eating dog i.e He said it is "Makrouh".

Is this true ?

Walaikum Salam wr wb,

It is not true. According Imam Malik it is Haram to eat dogs. This is mentioned in the Muwatta.

وحدثني عن مالك عن إسمعيل بن أبي حكيم عن عبيدة بن سفيان الحضرمي عن أبي هريرة أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال أكل كل ذي ناب من السباع حرام قال مالك وهو الأمر عندنا

Source: http://hadithportal.com/index.php?show=hadith&h_id=1072&uid=114358&sharh=8000&book=30
در خلافت میل نیست ای بی‌خبر
میل کی آید ز بوبکر و عمر
میل اگر بودی در آن دو مقتدا
هر دو کردندی پسر را پیشوا

عطار نِیشابوری

www.Nahjul-Balagha.net | www.TwelverShia.net | www.ghadirkhumm.com

al-kulayni

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:51:42 AM »
Assalamu Aleykum Abubakar,

I think you have seen this video from rafidha ?

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:04:58 AM »
Assalamu Aleykum Abubakar,

I think you have seen this video from rafidha ?

Not at all

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 02:06:22 AM »
Salam

Is this true ?

Walaikum Salam wr wb,

It is not true. According Imam Malik it is Haram to eat dogs. This is mentioned in the Muwatta.

وحدثني عن مالك عن إسمعيل بن أبي حكيم عن عبيدة بن سفيان الحضرمي عن أبي هريرة أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال أكل كل ذي ناب من السباع حرام قال مالك وهو الأمر عندنا

Source: http://hadithportal.com/index.php?show=hadith&h_id=1072&uid=114358&sharh=8000&book=30

Translation please ?

omar111

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:23:29 AM »
Salam

Is this true ?

Walaikum Salam wr wb,

This is a general ruling about wild animals but not dogs
Salams,

Imam Malik said: it is permissible to eat all animals except for that which there is evidence for its prohibition. Therefore, eating on-surface insects like beetles, worms and underground insects who have nests, like snakes, scorpions as well as predatory animals and hunting birds are permissible. Imam Malik [considered the eating] of dog meat halal but forbade the eating of horse meat.

(al-Hawi al-Kabir by al-Mawardi)

http://ghairmuqulid-rafidhi-exposed.webs.com/apps/blog/show/28620453-malki-fiqah-mein-kuta-khana-halal

Farid

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »
^ See the image from the post you included.

This Shafi'ee books says that Malik rejects this hadith.

Lesson to be learned: Take the mathhab of Malik from his own book amd not from Shafi'ee books.

MuslimK

• +11/-0
  • یا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبی علی دینک
    • Refuting Shia allegations everywhere
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:47 AM »

Translation please ?

The Prophet (saw) said (rough translation) that animals with fangs are Haram, then Imam malik gives his opinion at the end, he says: This is our ruling.

Lesson to be learned: Take the mathhab of Malik from his own book amd not from Shafi'ee books.

Indeed.
در خلافت میل نیست ای بی‌خبر
میل کی آید ز بوبکر و عمر
میل اگر بودی در آن دو مقتدا
هر دو کردندی پسر را پیشوا

عطار نِیشابوری

www.Nahjul-Balagha.net | www.TwelverShia.net | www.ghadirkhumm.com

omar111

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
In Maliki fiqh, the School takes the principle to forbid those predatory animals that have fangs. His opinion is based on the fact that the Prophet (s.a.s.) forbade the eating of predatory animals with fangs, which birds do not have, and are thus not forbidden although they might be predatory.

Imam Malik states:
"There is no eating of lions, nor cats whether wild or domestic, nor fox, nor hyena, nor anything that is predatory."

Within the Maliki Madh'hab it is considered to be makrouh tahreem to eat vultures and hyena.

al-Awza'i says:
"All birds are allowed except vultures (which are) reprehensible."

al-Layth says:
"There is no harm in eating a cat but a hyena is reprehensible."

Dogs dont have a fang.Though those glinting, pointy teeth may look like fangs, they're actually  canine teeth.

Al-Qurtubi, (and other Sunni mufassirs), also mention Malik's opinion on this, in his tafseer of Surah 6, Verse 45.

Say, "I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine - for indeed, it is impure - or it be [that slaughtered in] disobedience, dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit], then indeed, your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful."

Al-Qurtubi says:http://
Code: [Select]
quran.ksu.edu.sa/tafseer/qortobi/sura6-aya145.html
قال مالك: لا حرام بيّنٌ إلا ما ذُكرَ في هذه الآية

Acccording to Malik, anything that isn't mentioned in this verse, (dead animals, blood, or swine) is halal

Al-Qurtubi also quotes the opinion of a Maliki jurist who had a similar ruling:

وقال ابن خُوَيْز مَنْدَاد: تضمنت هذه الآية تحليلَ كلِّ شيء من الحيوان وغيره إلا ما استثنى في الآية من الميتة والدم المسفوح ولحم الخنزير. ولهذا قلنا: إن لحوم السباع وسائر الحيوان ما سوى الإنسان والخنزير مباح
 That is why we say that the meat of wild animals and other animals except human and pig permissible
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:36:05 PM by omar111 »

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 11:38:07 AM »
In Maliki fiqh, the School takes the principle to forbid those predatory animals that have fangs. His opinion is based on the fact that the Prophet (s.a.s.) forbade the eating of predatory animals with fangs, which birds do not have, and are thus not forbidden although they might be predatory.

Imam Malik states:
"There is no eating of lions, nor cats whether wild or domestic, nor fox, nor hyena, nor anything that is predatory."

Within the Maliki Madh'hab it is considered to be makrouh tahreem to eat vultures and hyena.

al-Awza'i says:
"All birds are allowed except vultures (which are) reprehensible."

al-Layth says:
"There is no harm in eating a cat but a hyena is reprehensible."

Dogs dont have a fang.Though those glinting, pointy teeth may look like fangs, they're actually  canine teeth.

Al-Qurtubi, (and other Sunni mufassirs), also mention Malik's opinion on this, in his tafseer of Surah 6, Verse 45.

Say, "I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine - for indeed, it is impure - or it be [that slaughtered in] disobedience, dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit], then indeed, your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful."

Al-Qurtubi says:http://
Code: [Select]
quran.ksu.edu.sa/tafseer/qortobi/sura6-aya145.html
قال مالك: لا حرام بيّنٌ إلا ما ذُكرَ في هذه الآية

Acccording to Malik, anything that isn't mentioned in this verse, (dead animals, blood, or swine) is halal

Al-Qurtubi also quotes the opinion of a Maliki jurist who had a similar ruling:

وقال ابن خُوَيْز مَنْدَاد: تضمنت هذه الآية تحليلَ كلِّ شيء من الحيوان وغيره إلا ما استثنى في الآية من الميتة والدم المسفوح ولحم الخنزير. ولهذا قلنا: إن لحوم السباع وسائر الحيوان ما سوى الإنسان والخنزير مباح
 That is why we say that the meat of wild animals and other animals except human and pig permissible

So In brief Imam Malik consider eating dog as permissible since there is no a clear verse prohibiting it ?

omar111

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »

So In brief Imam Malik consider eating dog as permissible since there is no a clear verse prohibiting it ?

Predatory animals including canines(,such as lions, tigers, wolves, foxes, leopards cheetahs, bears, dogs and cats are haram. The imam Malik, however, is of the opinion that eating the flesh of these animals is censurable (makrouh) rather than forbidden.This is because they have not been specifically mentioned among those forbidden animals given in the Quran (6: I 45).

MuslimAnswers

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
^

This is not such a big deal you know, and it is an emotional argument in fact coming from the Shia: It is like the non-Muslim argument against polygamy ("it is not what we are used to in here, seems strange, must be wrong").

Rather real scholars follow the methodology related to the primary texts and deduce the rulings, whatever they may be.

Farid

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »

I think this needs proof. Did Malik also understand that dogs don't have fangs? I think the common understanding is that they do.

omar111

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
I am hanfi and not an expert in maliki fiqah.Maybe a malki would better answer this but I think the basic problem is this that dog is not najis in malkis
Dogs Are Pure in the Maliki Madhab

The Reported Opinion of Imam ‘Ikrimah and Malik ibn Anas (Rahimahumullah)

Imam Ash-Shawkaani (rahimahullah) states in his masterpiece “Nayl Al-Awtaar Sharh Muntaqaa Al-Akhbaar” the following below the following narration of the Prophet Muhammad,

“From Abu Hurayrah who said that Rasulullah (alayhis salaam) said, “When a dog licks one of your vessels (e.g. bowl), apply dirt to it and then wash the vessel seven times.” ((This narration is reported by Imam Muslim in his Sahih 89/279 as well as by An-Nasaa’i hadith number 66 ))

[Says Shawkaani]: And this narration also proves that the dog is najaasah (impure)…and the Jumhoor (majority) hold this opinion. And ‘Ikrimah and Maalik in a report from him state “Verily it is Taahir (pure)”. And their proof is the statement of Allah ta’alaa,

فَكُلُواْ مِمَّا أَمْسَكْنَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَاذْكُرُواْ اسْمَ اللّهِ عَلَيْهِ وَاتَّقُواْ اللّهَ إِنَّ اللّهَ سَرِيعُ الْحِسَابِ

(Say: lawful unto you are (all) things good and pure: and what ye have taught your trained hunting animals (to catch) in the manner directed to you by Allah ”eat what they catch for you, but pronounce the name of Allah over it: and fear Allah; for Allah is swift in taking account.” (5:4)

Also another proof is what is established in Abu Dawud from the hadith of Ibn ‘Umar with the words, “Dogs would come freely into the masjid and urinate in the time of the Rasulullah (‘alayhis salaam), and they would not pour water over it (i.e. the urine).” (Sahih Al-Bukhari hadith number 174 in the Book of Wudhu’)

[Note that Ibn Hajr states this occurred before doors were put on the masjids and the command to keep them clean was established. Though this is the opinion of a Shafi'i and not that of the Maalikis] – End quote from Nayl Al-Awtaar.

The Shafi’i Judge and Jurist Qadhi As-Safadi states, “Malik says that dogs are pure and what they lick is not made impure, but that a vessel licked by a dog should be washed to avoid filth.” ((Taken from “The Mercy in the difference of the Four Sunni Schools of Islamic Law” translated by ‘Aa’ishah Bewley printed by Dar-al-taqwa. Page 4 ))

The following quotes are statements from Imam Maalik as reported in the Mudawwanah of Imam Maalik regarding the dog:

“One may eat what it catches in a hunt, how then can we declare Makrooh (hated or disliked) what it drinks (or places its tongue in).” (page 116)

Maalik said, “If one desires to make wudhu’ from a vessel wherein a dog has drank (or put its tongue in), it is ok for him to make wudhu’ from it and pray.” (pg 115)

Maalik said, “If a dog puts his tongue in a vessel of milk (labn) there is no harm (la ba’as) if one takes (i.e. eats) from that milk.” (ibid)

Note that there are many other quotes from him within Volume 1 of the Mudawwana regarding the purity of the dog. I have chosen these only as a sample. [Vol. 1 published by Daar Al Kutub Al-'Ilmiyyah published in 2005 CE]

The Maliki Faqih (jurisconsult) of Andalus, Ibn Rushd states in his “Bidayatul-Mujtahid”,

“Maalik held the view that the leftover of a dog is to be spilled and the utensil is to be washed, as it is a ritual act of non-rational worship, for the water that it has lapped up is not unclean (najas). He did not require, according to the widely known opinion from him, the spilling of things other than water, which a dog had licked. The reason, as we have said, is the conflict with analogy according to him. He also believed that if it is to be understood from the tradition that a dog is unclean, it opposes the apparent meaning of the Book, that is, the words of Allah ta’alaa, “So eat of what they catch for you…” meaning thereby that if the dog had been unclean the prey would become unclean by the touch of the dog’s (mouth). He supported this interpretation by the required number of washings, as number is not a condition in the washing of unclean things. He held that this washing is merely an act of worship. He did not rely upon the remaining traditions as they were weak in his view.” (pg 27 published by Garnet; also see Al-Hidayah of Imam Al-Ghumaari Vol. 1 page 288 for a detailed discussion of the chains of narration)

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
Wa alaykum alsalam wa rahmatullah,

Maybe Ebn Hussein can answer that. He has been reading into the Maliki mahhab. I'll let him know about this thread.

Ebn Hussein is on Gaybah though. :D

Farid

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
@ bro Omar:

These are proofs against the impurity of dogs by Malik. It can easoly be arued that Malik considered them pure and yet impermissible to eat since they had fangs.