TwelverShia.net Forum

Is Mutah Really Halal For Shia?

GreatChineseFall

Re: Is Mutah Really Halal For Shia?
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »
The observable fact is that mut'ah is used as a means for couples to get to know each other. If you doubt this, it just means you don't know Shia society.
Non-marital relations can't achieve this in the same way. Two non-mahrams talking with each other, as you mention, is completely different from a mut'ah, without intercourse, where a young couple can become much more familiar.

They can become very familiar indeed as the stipulation of no intimacy holds for as long as the man and the woman see fit and it's permissible to revoke that anytime they wish. Guess what happens in such a circumstance?

By the way, what is the difference between marrying and divorcing and mut'ah. The only difference is that the first is done with a positive attitude and continuation of a relation is assumed, while the second is done with a negative attitude and an end of the relation is assumed. al Hasan ibn Ali married frequently and divorced frequently. Not one of those marriages were temporary.

Ibrahim

« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
They've actually been brought up in a world full of hatred towards Shias and a lot of nonsense concerning Shiaism. And their mind has developed and matured based on that grudge and hatred. So I completely understand their feelings and emotions.

They speak with a mindset. Unless they discuss with an open and free mind it is going to be hard for them to understand and difficult for us to get through to them. But as for you, very well said and put forward. More Shia brothers like you need to step forward and deal with this propaganda against Shiaism and the misunderstanding it's creating about Shias.

Your words are too kind my brother. My thoughts mirror yours and it can be very hard for people to see beyond biases which have become entrenched in their characters.

It can be even harder when they suspect that something is true, because in order to justify their non-acceptance of that truth, they feel compelled to oppose it all the more bitterly.

I see this in the anti-Islamic mentalities some non-Muslims have come to hold in recent decades: some of them will listen and become reasonable when Islam is properly explained to them, but others will just keep coming even harder, because they perceive a truth which they don't want to accept.
Unfortunately some of our Sunni brothers act the same with regard to the Ahl al Bayt(as). In a sense, it's their own way of affirming the lofty position of Ahl al Bayt(as).

If we feel secure in what we are following, we don't feel the need to slander others and bring them down; instead we reach out to pull them up.

A little anecdote: Recently I was in Istanbul and I went to pray in the Sultan Ahmet Camii (Blue Mosque). After watching me pray, a Sunni sheikh from Iraq approached me and started telling me how he loves me as a Muslim brother regardless of Sunni or Shia. Although my conversational Arabic is basic, we sat down and talked over some grapes I'd brought with me.

It turned out he was in a state of difficulty, so I helped him out with what I had. He asked about my own condition and on learning of certain problems, he wrote me a list of du'a to recite. Never for one minute did he imagine that our different interpretations of Islam would prevent him from being able to offer me his help and advice as a sheikh.

We parted happily, though reluctantly, and prayed that one day we'd meet again.

When honourable Sunni leaders like that are able to reclaim the narrative from divisive elements in the Muslim world, who are using their oil wealth to fund sectarianism, then insha'Allah the layers of ignorance will start to crumble.

Until then, as you say, there's much work that needs to be done to forge mutual respect and cooperation - in a word, unity. Alhamdulillah, the Arba'een march to Karbala grows larger and larger every year, and I see this as being symbolic of awakening consciousness.

Ibrahim

« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
GreatChineseFall What you've just done is to repeat one of the most notorious slanders against the grandson of the Holy Prophet(saws).

The Holy Prophet(saws) said that Imam Hassan(as) and Imam Hussein(as) are "Sayyid Al Shabaab Ahl al-Janna", the Masters of the Youths of Paradise; whereas you say that Iman Hassan(as) "married frequently and divorced frequently".

It's the word of the Holy Prophet(saws) against your word, and that means that your word is falsehood.

Please learn some respect and find a more constructive use for your energies.

Hani

« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2018, 12:40:11 AM »
GreatChineseFall What you've just done is to repeat one of the most notorious slanders against the grandson of the Holy Prophet(saws).

The Holy Prophet(saws) said that Imam Hassan(as) and Imam Hussein(as) are "Sayyid Al Shabaab Ahl al-Janna", the Masters of the Youths of Paradise; whereas you say that Iman Hassan(as) "married frequently and divorced frequently".

It's the word of the Holy Prophet(saws) against your word, and that means that your word is falsehood.

That's funny logic, in the same sense the Prophet (saw) and `Ali greatly praised Abu Bakr and `Umar, so it's your word against theirs. Therefore your entire Madhab is falsehood.

Marrying and divorcing frequently is not a sin, based on my research it seems a lot of women were after wealth and reputation which caused al-Hasan so much trouble and he was assassinated by one of them in the end.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Hani

« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:53 AM »
Hani, your account of what you believe goes on in Iran and Iraq continues to betray the fact that you have little knowledge of these societies and have probably never visited them.
Evidently, you get your information from highly biased sources with little credibility.

By referring to nikkah mut'ah as "adultery", you are actually showing disrespect to the Holy Prophet(saws), since all Muslims agree that he instructed the sahaaba to perform mut'ah.
Rather than calmly and rationally discussing the subject at hand, you are using such strong language that you are saying things you don't mean; I suggest you reflect on your motivations and reconsider your approach.

Again you are asking for "evidence" of something whose validity isn't in question. It's an observable fact that mut'ah is used by couples to see if they're compatible for permanent nikah, so what point are you trying to make by questioning how frequently this was done in past ages?
Islam is suitable for all times and places and it offers us solutions to life as befits the circumstances we find ourselves in. Having a second, third or fourth wife was common in certain regions historically, whereas it's rare today; either way is valid under Shari'ah. Do you have an objection to this?

Regarding the issues faced by unmarried youth across the Muslim world, the scale of the current problem belies the notion that it can be solved in the manner you suggest.
Asking "lazy governments" to make "economic reforms" is admirable, but it's not a direct solution to the problem.

As an aside, if you don't mind me asking: how many Muslim countries have you travelled to? And what is your means of knowing the societies you discuss?

Tripoli, Beirut, Istanbul, Damascus, Manama, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah etc.. and I have tons of friends from Iran and relatives as well as friends in Iraq as well as a part of my family being Shia including my ex etc...

As for what you wrote above, it is erroneous, when temporary marriages were permitted they weren't adultery, they became adultery after they were forbidden.

Again tell the fetuses dropped in the back alleys of Tehran how great of a solution Mut`ah is to society.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

GreatChineseFall

« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »

Great way to avoid the main message of my post. I won't bother with this as any evidence from authentic Shi'i literature will be simply put aside, not to mention that your attempt at framing it as disrespectful, is disrespectful itself and dishonest at the same time.

If we feel secure in what we are following, we don't feel the need to slander others and bring them down; instead we reach out to pull them up.

A greater sign of insecurity is when people are dishonest about what they believe because they are too embarrassed to openly stand for their beliefs. Why is almost every Shia dishonest about mut'ah?

- What is the benefit of being able to stipulate something that you can revoke anytime you wish? That's like you saying "I promise I will not punch you in the face until I punch you in the face"

- Why is it allowed to engage in mut'ah with a Kitabi woman but a permanent marriage with them being forbidden? What is the purpose of knowing each other in this case?

- Why is it allowed for a man who is married with 4 women (ie the max number of permanent wives one can have) to engage in mut'ah. Who is he supposed to get to know?

Hadrami

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:26 AM »
Again tell the fetuses dropped in the back alleys of Tehran how great of a solution Mut`ah is to society.
not just fetuses. Its nightmare for the women and children involved. The men can just say bye and go. For all the crazy things that Saddam did, banning mut'ah was one of his greatet act. This is old article about mut'ah in iraq post invasion

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130350678

Ibrahim

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »
Hani, our madhab is not based on denigrating Abu Bakr and 'Umar, so even if every hadith in favour of them were authentic, there would be no contradiction with our beliefs.

What we say about them is that they were not divinely appointed to lead the Ummah, and that they were not the most qualified individuals to take up the position of leadership after the Holy Prophet(saws).

Since Sunni scholarship doesn't necessarily disagree with either of these two points, I believe we find ourselves in consensus here.

"Tripoli, Beirut, Istanbul, Damascus, Manama, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah etc.." - That's quite an impressive list of destinations, more than I would have thought.

If you haven't made Hajj, I would advise you to do so, since death can come at any time. The Hajj experience is indescribable.

Travelling to Egypt is a must, not only because it's one of the largest Muslim countries, but also because it's a major centre of Muslim culture. I went to Cairo and Alexandria 15 years ago, and the energy is so infectious that I've been wanting to return ever since.

Also, I would strongly advise you to visit Karbala in Arba'een, which will be falling in October over the next few years. It's open to everyone regardless of belief.

There is a walk which takes place from Najaf to Karbala and over 30 million people participate, making it the largest annual gathering in the world. All along the route are mu'mineen providing free food and free accommodation.

You may experience more love, generosity and hospitality in a few days there than in all of your previous life combined.
All Muslims, and indeed all humanity, are welcome.

Ibrahim

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
GreatChineseFall, when a post contains disrespect for the grandson of the Holy Prophet(saws), I'm no longer interested in anything else in that post other than defending his honour.

I'm also not motivated by argument for its own sake; I'm looking for progress and understanding. If I perceive no intention to move forward, then there's no response for me to offer.

In this post, you have asked a few interesting questions without any disrespect, so I'll respond according to my understanding:

- What is the benefit of being able to stipulate something that you can revoke anytime you wish? That's like you saying "I promise I will not punch you in the face until I punch you in the face"

- Why is it allowed to engage in mut'ah with a Kitabi woman but a permanent marriage with them being forbidden? What is the purpose of knowing each other in this case?

- Why is it allowed for a man who is married with 4 women (ie the max number of permanent wives one can have) to engage in mut'ah. Who is he supposed to get to know?

As to your first point, stipulating something as a common agreement is important regardless of the option to amend it later. It means the involved parties know exactly where they stand with one another, and it's a declaration of niyyah before Allah(swt).
Any part of the agreement to be amended would be done with mutual consent.

As to mut'ah with kitabi women, my understanding is that permanent marriage with them is possible but highly discouraged. It will usually be very problematic if Muslim children are brought up by Jewish or Christian mothers.
A temporary marriage serves the purpose of giving them time to learn about Islam and to embrace Islam before contracting permanent nikkah.

As to a man with 4 wives contracting mut'ah, this would be a highly unlikely scenario. It could be that his temporary wives need financial support and so, as is often the case with polygamy, the arrangement is more to their befit than to his.
He could also be away from home for many months or years and thus be contracting mut'ah to avoid the extremes of celibacy or sin.

Of course in all these cases, mut'ah could also be to fulfill sexual needs, which in itself is a legitimate aspect of mut'ah.
The whole attitude of portraying sexual needs as being inherently embarrassing and shameful is not derived from Islam, but instead reflects the Christian attitude.

Islam is very realistic about human nature and provides for our needs, rather than condemning them and closing us off.
The puritanical mentality which seeks to cast mut'ah in a bad light is the same mentality Western critics use when trying to undermine the Holy Prophet(saws) through his marriages, or when trying to undermine the Holy Qur'an through its descriptions of Jannah.

By turning away from the teachings of Ahl al Bayt(as) the Sunni world found itself with a gap in its social structure, and tried to fill that gap with misyar and 'urfi marriages.

Everything that's been (falsely) claimed about the overall social effects of mut'ah in Iranian and Iraqi society, could equally be claimed about misyar and 'urfi marriages in Morocco, Egypt, India and Pakistan.

Misuse of marriage can occur in misyar, 'urfi or mut'ah marriages just as it can occur in permanent nikkah. We don't derive our views on the validity of a teaching from those who misunderstand or misuse it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:24:02 PM by Ibrahim »

zaid_ibn_ali

« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
As far as I know, urfi & misyar do not stipulate a fixed time like mutah. Hence not a valid analogy.

MuslimK

• +11/-0
  • یا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبی علی دینک
    • Refuting Shia allegations everywhere
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »

Sorry for replying to off-topic comments.

Hani, our madhab is not based on denigrating Abu Bakr and 'Umar, so even if every hadith in favour of them were authentic, there would be no contradiction with our beliefs.

No comments!

What we say about them is that they were not divinely appointed to lead the Ummah, and that they were not the most qualified individuals to take up the position of leadership after the Holy Prophet(saws).

If that was the only thing your sect believed then there would be less tension, hatred and sectarianism. A Zaidi can make such a statement but definitely not a follower of a Twelver Imami sect - A sect in which great chunk of its literature is based mainly on slandering and character assassination of those pious Caliphs.

Ali Khamenei was not the most qualified person to take up the position of the supreme leadership of Iran.

Since Sunni scholarship doesn't necessarily disagree with either of these two points, I believe we find ourselves in consensus here.
You are wrong dear friend. Sunni scholarship believe Abubakr was the most superior of all companions, the most qualified and the most deserving of Caliphate. He also proved his qualities during his Caliphate and so did his successor.

Claiming consensus on something like this is laughable.

There is a walk which takes place from Najaf to Karbala and over 30 million people participate, making it the largest annual gathering in the world. All along the route are mu'mineen providing free food and free accommodation.

You may experience more love, generosity and hospitality in a few days there than in all of your previous life combined.
All Muslims, and indeed all humanity, are welcome.

"Over 30 Million" is a terrible lie:
http://www.twelvershia.net/2015/11/27/arbaeen-number-of-visitors/
در خلافت میل نیست ای بی‌خبر
میل کی آید ز بوبکر و عمر
میل اگر بودی در آن دو مقتدا
هر دو کردندی پسر را پیشوا

عطار نِیشابوری

www.Nahjul-Balagha.net | www.TwelverShia.net | www.ghadirkhumm.com

Optimus Prime

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »
Haha, these desperate Shias trying to make out like the pilgrimage to Karbala is superior than going for Umrah, or Haj.

[ERASED]

Mod Note: Please avoid jokes like that. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:59:23 PM by MuslimK »

simplemuslim

« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:24 PM »

[ERASED]

Astagfrullah. I believe It's true now what people say about this website. It's got nasbies posing as sunnis. Comments like this prove it. I can't believe nobody has objected to this filthy comment.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:59:02 PM by MuslimK »

Hadrami

« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »
By turning away from the teachings of Ahl al Bayt(as) the Sunni world found itself with a gap in its social structure, and tried to fill that gap with misyar and 'urfi marriages.
not comparable. The sunni scholars who supported it are very few, unlike mut'ah which is consensus among shia scholars. Even the few sunni scholars who supported it dont consider it as  practise which is so virtuous like how shia scholars consider mut'ah. A person with a tiny spec of decency left in him/her will reject shia version of mut'ah for him/herself and for the people they love. That is why shia always in defensive and feel insulted when anyone ask them about it. That is a fact and no amount of dancing around will change it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:10:03 AM by Hadrami »

iceman

« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2018, 12:34:04 AM »
Haha, these desperate Shias trying to make out like the pilgrimage to Karbala is superior than going for Umrah, or Haj.

[ERASED]

Mod Note: Please avoid jokes like that.

I just don't know where on earth you get your information from😊 You don't have a clue about the Shia faith and community at large.

Noor-us-Sunnah

« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:07 AM »

Lol, how is the word of brother against word of Prophet(saws) ? Can't Imam Hasan(ra) be Master of the youth of paradise if we married frequently and divorced frequently?  Who exactly made this criteria?

Here is SHia hadeeth for you.

Kafi by Shaikh Kulaini (ra), Volume 6, Page 56, Section on divorcing the unsuitable woman

4 - حميد بن زياد عن الحسن بن محمد بن سماعة عن محمد بن زياد بن عيسى عن عبد الله بن سنان عن أبي عبد الله ع قال : إن عليا قال وهو على المنبر : لا تزوجوا الحسن فإنه رجل مطلاق فقام رجل من همدان فقال : بلى والله لنزوجنه وهو ابن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله وابن أمير المؤمنين ع فإن شاء أمسك وإن شاء طلق

4- Humaid b. Ziad from al Hasan b. Muhammad b. Sama'a from Muhammad b. Ziad b. Isa from Abdullah b. Sinan from abi Abdullah (as) who said: Indeed Ali (as) said, while he was on the pulpit: "Do not arrange marriage with al Hasan, for indeed he is a man who constantly divorces." So a man from Hamdan stood up then said: "Rather, by Allah (swt) we will definitely arrange marriage with him, he is the son/progeny of the Prophet (pbuh) and the son of commander of the faithful, so if he wishes he may keep and if he wishes he may divorce."

مرآة العقول في شرح أخبار آل الرسول للمجلسي ج ٢١ ص: ٩٦ (الحديث الرابع) موثق

Miratul uqool by Majlisi, Volume 21, Page 96: Hadith 4: Muwaththaq (Reliable)

And here is the explanation by a Shia Scholar:
http://realtashayyu.blogspot.com/2013/07/reason-behind-imam-hasans-numerous.html

Noor-us-Sunnah

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2018, 03:04:21 AM »
As for what you wrote above, it is erroneous, when temporary marriages were permitted they weren't adultery, they became adultery after they were forbidden.

Exactly! Its similar to accusing the children of Adam(as) of incest, even though in their time, the marriage of a brother with his sister was not considered Haram nor incest. It became haram and incest when the law came which prohibited such marriage. Same goes for Mutah.

Secondly, when we say that Mutah is Zina, then we are following Salaf and our Imam from Ahlulbayt. Do the Shia guys have a problem with Sunnis following Imam from Ahlelbayt? That is Imam Jafar as-sadiq(rah)

بو عبد الله الحافظ أنبأ أبو محمد الحسن بن سليمان الكوفى ببغداد ثنا محمد بن عبد الله الحضرمي ثنا (5) اسمعيل بن ابراهيم ثنا الاشجعى عن بسام الصيرفى قال سألت جعفر بن محمد عن المتعة فوصفتها (6) فقال لى ذلك الزنا
This is the wording present in Sunan Al-Kubra of Al-Bayhaqi (7/207) that Bassam As-Sairafi (Thiqah) asked Ja’far regarding mut’ah, so he said it is Zina(fornication).

عن جعفر بن محمد أنه سئل عن المتعة فقال: هي الزنا بعينه
Ja’far as calling mut’ah “pure fornication” (‘ayn al-zina).[Cited by Ibn Hajar, Fath (9:173) and al-Shawkani, Nayl al-Awtar (6:271)]

Similarly We read in Ismaili Shia book, “Da`a’im-ul-Islam” volume 2, pages 228 and 229 by al-Qadi al-Nu`man al-Maghribi:

وعن جعفر بن محمد (ع) أن رجلا سأله عن نكاح المتعة قال: صفه لي، قال: يلقى الرجل المرأة، فيقول: أتزوجك بهذا الدرهم والدرهمين، وقعة أو يوما أو يومين. قال: هذا زنا، وما يفعل هذا إلا فاجر

[From Ja`far bin Muhammad (as) that a man asked him concerning the Mut`ah marriage, Ja`far said: “Describe it for me.” He said: “A man meets a woman and tells her: I marry you with one or two Dirhams for a period of one or two days.” Ja`far said: “That is fornication, no one does this except the wicked.”]

Also Ibn Umar in Musannaf Abdur-Razzaq (14035)
 هَذَا، وَمَا أَعْلَمُهُ إِلَّا السِّفَاحَ»
Ibn Umar said: ...And I do not think of it except as adultery.

Abu Muhammad

« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2018, 03:45:38 AM »
Lol, how is the word of brother against word of Prophet(saws) ? Can't Imam Hasan(ra) be Master of the youth of paradise if we married frequently and divorced frequently?  Who exactly made this criteria?

Here is SHia hadeeth for you.

Kafi by Shaikh Kulaini (ra), Volume 6, Page 56, Section on divorcing the unsuitable woman

4 - حميد بن زياد عن الحسن بن محمد بن سماعة عن محمد بن زياد بن عيسى عن عبد الله بن سنان عن أبي عبد الله ع قال : إن عليا قال وهو على المنبر : لا تزوجوا الحسن فإنه رجل مطلاق فقام رجل من همدان فقال : بلى والله لنزوجنه وهو ابن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله وابن أمير المؤمنين ع فإن شاء أمسك وإن شاء طلق

4- Humaid b. Ziad from al Hasan b. Muhammad b. Sama'a from Muhammad b. Ziad b. Isa from Abdullah b. Sinan from abi Abdullah (as) who said: Indeed Ali (as) said, while he was on the pulpit: "Do not arrange marriage with al Hasan, for indeed he is a man who constantly divorces." So a man from Hamdan stood up then said: "Rather, by Allah (swt) we will definitely arrange marriage with him, he is the son/progeny of the Prophet (pbuh) and the son of commander of the faithful, so if he wishes he may keep and if he wishes he may divorce."

مرآة العقول في شرح أخبار آل الرسول للمجلسي ج ٢١ ص: ٩٦ (الحديث الرابع) موثق

Miratul uqool by Majlisi, Volume 21, Page 96: Hadith 4: Muwaththaq (Reliable)

And here is the explanation by a Shia Scholar:
http://realtashayyu.blogspot.com/2013/07/reason-behind-imam-hasans-numerous.html

Very strange indeed! For a religion that advocate mut'ah so much, why didn't he i.e. Al-Hasan engage in mut'ah himself? If he would have done so, nobody would have accused him of divorcing that many. 😌

Ibrahim

« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Astagfrullah. I believe It's true now what people say about this website. It's got nasbies posing as sunnis. Comments like this prove it. I can't believe nobody has objected to this filthy comment.

I also find it very unfortunate that none of the Sunni brothers here voiced objection to the obscene remark that was made.

Had it not been for the intervention by the moderator, which reflects well on his integrity, I would not have continued to participate.

zaid_ibn_ali

« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »
Myself & others have strongly objected to such comments that can be construed as offensive.
From my understanding such posters go too far in their condemnation of the shirk related practices carried out at these shrines like kerbala to such an exteme that they have no respect for the grandson of the holy prophet SAW.

Anyways back to the subject.

Your integrity is questionable ibrahim especially due to your dishonest propaganda that shia don’t slander the first 3 caliphs & that the only issue is they don’t deem them to be the most suited for leadership.

This alone exposes your agenda & academic seriousness.

Also there are many points raised by the brothers above, maybe you can respond to these.