TwelverShia.net Forum

Is rejecting khalifat kufr?

Taha

Is rejecting khalifat kufr?
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:42:49 AM »
السلام عليكم

Is rejecting the leadership (but not having animosity towards) the four khulafa haraam/kufr/etc?  If yes, why?

Is having animosity and hatred towards certain people of questionable character such as Muawiyah haraam/kufr/etc?  If yes, why?

Is supporting revolutionaries such as Husayn b. Ali, Zayd b. Ali, & Muhammad Al-Nafs Al-Zakiyya haraam/kufr/etc?  If yes, why?

What are the requirements for a religious leader?  Is being a Qureshi or Hashemite one of them?

(This might need a different thread but,) who do Sunnis generally accept as righteous leaders?  So far I've come up with the 4 khulafa, Hasan b. Ali, & Umar b. Abdul Aziz.  Some like Muawiyah but not all.

Hani

Re: Is rejecting khalifat kufr?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
Rejecting Khilafah is not Kufr, Sa`d ibn `Ubayd rejected Abu Bakr's Khilafah but no one made Takfeer on him. However, it may lead to Fitnah and deviance, as Allah supports the united majority and the stray sheep may become lost and misguided due to this. Now that those four are dead, rejecting or accepting their authority means nothing, but if we were alive in their time then rejecting their Khilafah could be Haraam simply due to the fact that it may lead to division.

In Islam it is best to love everyone and not have any hatred towards any human, rather ask Allah to guide your enemies and ask him to forgive those who preceded us in faith. It's not "Haraam" to dislike anyone as humans cannot control their feelings but best to leave this.

Supporting revolutions isn't Kufr, but I do not recommend it at all, after all look at those revolutions and tell one good thing that came out of them.

A political head of state is required to be Qurashi, if no descent Qurashi is available he can be anyone, this is what happened when the Qurashies became corrupt, people took the Khilafah away from them.

Finally, I'm sure there's more righteous leaders than the ones you mentioned, you gotta research.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

ahlebaitlover

• +0/-0
  • Love For the Sahaba is IMAAN!
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
السلام عليكم

Is rejecting the leadership (but not having animosity towards) the four khulafa haraam/kufr/etc?  If yes, why?

Is having animosity and hatred towards certain people of questionable character such as Muawiyah haraam/kufr/etc?  If yes, why?

Is supporting revolutionaries such as Husayn b. Ali, Zayd b. Ali, & Muhammad Al-Nafs Al-Zakiyya haraam/kufr/etc?  If yes, why?

What are the requirements for a religious leader?  Is being a Qureshi or Hashemite one of them?

(This might need a different thread but,) who do Sunnis generally accept as righteous leaders?  So far I've come up with the 4 khulafa, Hasan b. Ali, & Umar b. Abdul Aziz.  Some like Muawiyah but not all.

1) Rejecting their leadership is totally haram. It was something majority of the sahaba did IJMA upon, thus, rejecting their leadership is rejecting the IJMA of majority of the sahaba. Also, Rasoolullah SAW during his lifetime gave the order to follow the guided caliphs. There are many more reasons why it is haram to reject their leadership, but just cutting it short.

2)Having hatred for ANY sahabi is Haram and COULD possibly lead to kufr. The Prophet peace be upon him said "Whoever abuses my Companions, upon them is the curse of Allah, the angels and all the people" this is in saheeh tabrani and other books. Based on other ahadith of this nature abusing or having hatred for ANY sahabi is HARAM and could possibly lead to kufr. However to do takfeer of sahaba is definitely kufr. I can provide the fatawa of many many prominent sunni scholars of the earlier generations who were of the opinion of takfeer of those shias who did takfeer of sahaba

The rest I will answer afterwords, because of time.
Shukran
Syed Asad Ali

adnan42

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
isn't khalifat of like abu bakr ra and umer ra come under al-Ijmāʿ al-Mutawātir and al-Ijmāʿ al-Mashūr...and rejecting it is apostasy ??
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:55:48 PM by adnan42 »

Taha

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:09:28 AM »
How can there be an ijma when all of the Sahabah disagreed on the issue?  Half of them wanted an Ansar and the other wanted a Muhajiroon. Some rebelled against Uthman while others didn't. Some fought with Ali and others with Muawiyah.

There was never any such ijma. You're asking me to be arrogant enough to say I know better than the Sahabah that had differing opinions?!

Optimus Prime

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 03:15:36 AM »
How can there be an ijma when all of the Sahabah disagreed on the issue?  Half of them wanted an Ansar and the other wanted a Muhajiroon. Some rebelled against Uthman while others didn't. Some fought with Ali and others with Muawiyah.

There was never any such ijma. You're asking me to be arrogant enough to say I know better than the Sahabah that had differing opinions?!

Regarding the bold part it was a time of sorrow, so emotions were sky-high. Eventually most of them agreed on a single and the most deserving candidate, Abu Bakr (RA).

Husayn

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 03:33:42 AM »

Consensus can be reached after argument - infact that is how it is reached in most cases. One side presents their proof and the other presents theirs, and people decide.

In the case of Abu Bakr (ra) - the Ansar were presented evidence that Abu Bakr (ra) was the most superior and most deserving, and they reached 'ijma.

Those who rebelled against 'Uthman were not those who had reached consensus on his election to Khalifa. Infact, they were those who rebelled against the consensus.

The 'ijma in the time of 'Ali (ra) was that he was the rightful caliph.
إن يتبعون إلا الظن وما تهوى الأنفس

Hani

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:33:47 AM »
To be just and fair, there is no such thing as absolute consensus, there will ALWAYS be someone with a different opinion and that is human nature BUT when we say consensus, we mean at least the vast majority.

At the beginning there was no consensus simply because nobody was directly appointed, but the 48 hours after the death of the Prophet (saw) showed us that the vast majority of those who remained on Islam, especially the dwellers of Makkah and Madinah who were the people who knew most about Islam and were exposed to it more than some wondering Arabs in the middle of the desert, at least 98% of them pledged loyalty to Abu Bakr and stuck to it.

These numbers were preserved for `Umar after him, then `Umar allowed six people to consult and figure things out for themselves, and various tribes had favored various candidates, but the same number was still preserved although divided between the six. After `Uthman acquired authority through popularity, the other five candidates and all those who support them followed him.

Some people complained in the last years of `Uthman's life, yet everyone was united behind him, until a group of ignorant rebels decided to force him to resign and accused him of illegitimate things, this happened in the last couple of months of his life, this rebel group was not very large and the people of Madinah alone could have beaten them, but `Uthman ordered otherwise.

When `Uthman was killed, that was the first real split in Islam, and then the Fitnah struck, the majority still believed `Ali to be legitimate Caliph, but the Shamis rejected him and accused him of the previous Caliph's assassination, a lot of Sahabah decided to remain on the sidelines until the dust cleared and refused to fight against other Muslims, that split was followed by another when a small group of `Ali's Shia turned on him and separated, still it was only the Caliph fighting against a rebellious governor and another group of Takfeeri rebels.

After this, al-Hasan who had full authority decided to step down and offer it to banu Umayyah who unified the lands and stopped every rebellion until banu al-`Abbas.

Matter of the fact is, whether you reject Abu Bakr's Caliphate or `Ali's or Mu`awiyah's, it really changes nothing today, since they're dead and don't care and they had authority and ruled when they were alive and succeeded in doing great things.

Allah will not ask you about Abu Bakr's authority, nor will he give you  history test, but you WILL be asked whether every word you utter and every action you make is for the sake of Islamic brotherhood and unity or towards unnecessary division and Fitnah.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear