TwelverShia.net Forum

Shaykh Mufid Provides No Proof Against the Imamate of Imam Zayd (as)

Rationalist

I was reading Shaykh Mufid's Al-Irshad. In this book, under the Seerah of Imam Baqir, Shaykh Mufid writes "Many of the Shi'a believed in his Imamate. The reason for their belief was because of his coming out (in revolt) with the sword calling on support for the one who is acceptable from the family of Muhammad, may God bless him and his family. Therefore they thought that he intended that for himself. However that was not his intention because he knew of the right of his brother, peace be on him, to the Imamate before him, and of his bequest of trusteeship (wasiyya) at his death to Abu Abd Allah (i.e. Ja’far al-Sadiq), peace be on him."

So here from Shaykh Mufid own admission the Shia of the time thought he was an Imam which means he did not declare the Calipate/Imamate of Imam Jafar(as).

Also, when you read further he narrates Imam Zayd's (as) meeting with Ummawi ruler Al- Hisham bin Abdul Malik and says "You are the one who thinks yourself entitled to the caliphate,. Hisham then replies to him and says, “and (you are) the one who hopes for it. But that is not for you. You have no mother. (At least) your mother was only a servant-girl."

Now in a reply, Imam Zayd does not reply by saying there are 12 Calipahs and they are the only one entitled for it. Instead he replies he is qualified and his mother's lineage does not disqualify him for it.

“I do not know anyone greater in rank with God than a prophet whom He has sent,” retorted Zayd. “(Yet such a prophet) was the son of a servant-girl. So if he had been unable to carry out His purpose, He would not have sent him. (That prophet) was Isma'il ibn Ibrahim (Ishmael, son of Abraham), peace be on them. Prophethood is greater in rank with God than the mother of the caliphate, Hisham. Furthermore, a man should not be ignored whose father is the Apostle of God, may God bless him and his family, and who is the son of ‘Ali ibn Abi Talib, peace be on him.”

Hisham jumped up from his assembly. He summoned his servant and said: “Don't let this man spend the night in my camp.”

Hani

Re: Shaykh Mufid Provides No Proof Against the Imamate of Imam Zayd (as)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »
They narrate with their own chains that Zayd never knew about Imamah.

Imamiyyah always twist the hand of history so that it may agree to their beliefs, not one historian reported that Zayd did this revolution so he can award it to someone else. I can also claim that Husayn did a revolution to award it to Ibn `Umar.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Hani

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:49:27 AM »
Speaking of Zayd and Zaydiyyah, Iranian president said during the celebration of Iranian revolution that it is the Iranians who are scoring victory in Syria, `Iraq and Yemen.

Oops, I don't know if he was supposed to publicly announce something that his allies work very hard to deny. I thought Houthis were independent and free to act based on their own convictions, I guess I was wrong hehe..
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Rationalist

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 07:36:08 AM »
They narrate with their own chains that Zayd never knew about Imamah.
Even their own ahadith which deny his Imamate has problems.

Imamiyyah always twist the hand of history so that it may agree to their beliefs, not one historian reported that Zayd did this revolution so he can award it to someone else. I can also claim that Husayn did a revolution to award it to Ibn `Umar.
Its gets better. This twisted history was supposedly a secret only know to the 12er Shi'a and no one else. As Shaykh Mufid writes many Shia accepted Imam Zayd as an Imam. So supposedly Imam Zayd (as) kept it a secret according to them.

Rationalist

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:41 AM »
Here is a article which states the Imams did Taqiyyah during Imam Zayd's (as) revolt. In another they supposedly did not declare their Imamate.

Despite all the Infallibles’ support for Zayd and their emphasis on his
character, they did not back him openly because Zayd’s uprising had
to occur prudently while taking all precautions. The enemies might
have heard about the Imam’s intervention and his agreement with
Zayd’s uprising. Neither the Imam and Zayd nor his close companions
wanted anybody to be informed about it. (A Biography of Imam Ja‘far al- A Biography of Imam Ja‘far al-Sadiq (a), Pg 57-58)
http://messageofthaqalayn.com/50-%20Jafar%20Sadiq.pdf

Rationalist

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:29:10 AM »
12er Shia Scholar Shaykh Mohammed al Husayn al Muazaffar Says Imam Jafar Did Not Claim Imamate Due to Fear!

He first denies that Imam Zayd (as) claimed Imamate, but goes a step further and says Imam Jafar (as) did not claim Imamate due to Fear.
Here is what he writes in his book Imam Al Sadiq (as):

Some traditions were attributed to him showing that he requested the Imamate for himself. But the reason in them is very clear, because alSadiq, peace be on him, was afraid the authority of the Omayyads would relate Zaid’s revolt to him, so they would punish him, his family, and his followers (ShT’a) for that crime. So he drove away that danger with that attribution (Imam Al Sadiq, al-Muzaffar Pg 51)

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/library/pro_ahl/imam06_sadiq/imam_sadiq/045.htm

Rationalist

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:31:50 AM »
In the past I went through Shaykh Mufid's hadith books on the issue of Imamate on Imam Zayd (as), and he actually has ahadith on this topic which leans toward Nasabism.

Below is a reference from Shaykh Mufid Book Al Amali.

Abu Ghalib Ahmad b. Muhammad al-Zarari reported to me from Abul Qasim, Hamid b. Ziyad, who reported from al-Hasan b. Muhammad, who reported from Muhammad b. al-Hasan b. Ziyad al-Attar, from his father al-Hasan b. Ziyad who said:
When Zaid b. Ali advanced upon Kufa, some reservation entered my mind about it. He says: Then I went to Makkah, and passed by Madinah to call upon Abu Abdillah, peace be upon him, who was then ill. I found him lying prone on his bed, with nothing left between his skin and the bones. I said: "I wish to assert before you my creed." He turned on his side, and looking at me, said: "O Hasan, I always thought that you did not need this anymore." Then he said: "Proceed." So I said: "I testify that there is no god but Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah." He, peace be upon him, said: "The same with me, also." Then I said: "I confirm the truth of all that Muhammad b. Abdillah came with." He kept silent. Then I said: "And I testify that Ali is the Imam after the Prophet, and obedience to him is obligatory. Whoever doubts about him is gone astray, and whoever disputes his authority is an unbeliever." He kept silent. Then I said: "I testify that al-Hasan and al-Husain, peace be upon them, have the same position (as Ali)", and then I continued till I reached his name, and said: "And I testify that you are in the same position as al-Hasan and al-Husain and the Imams preceding you." He said: "Enough. You know exactly what you wish, you wish me to give my undertaking on this?" I said: "If you do so, then I will have fulfilled my desire." He said: "I give you my undertaking over it." I said: "May I be your ransom, I was worried about the uprising." He said: "Why?" I said: "Because if Zaid and his companions won the battle, then we would have been in the worst situation. And if Banu Umayya won, we would have been no better." He said: "Go, no harm will reach you from either." (Al Amali, Mufid)

Hani

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:38 AM »
There's a big load of traditions where they insult Zayd. Check Faysal Noor's book.