TwelverShia.net Forum

Question Regarding Successorship

muslim720

Question Regarding Successorship
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
Salaam Alaykum,
Insha'Allah, hoping everyone had a blessed Eid.

Many a time, we hear Shias question, "how could the Prophet [saw] leave without having appointed a successor when there were successors to all Prophets [asws] before him?  Even Abu Bakr [ra] nominated his successor but the Prophet [saw] did not.  Is this possible?"

I wanted to turn this question on its head so that they end up eating their own words.  Assuming that a successor is mandatory, even for a complete and perfect religion, and further assuming that the Prophet [saw] selected Imam Ali [ra] as his successor, did Imam Ali [ra] ever nominate Imam Hassan [ra] as his successor?  Did Imam Hassan [ra] choose Imam Hussain [ra] as his successor?

In other words, is there any proof, in all Shia and Sunni texts, weak and strong, which states that as one Imam [ra] would depart, he would pronounce another as his successor?  If there is, then they have a few straws to clutch on, even if the narration is weak.  If not, then they are in no position to pose that question.

JazakAllah khair!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:27:21 PM by muslim720 »
"Our coward ran from those in authority" - Iceman (admitting the truth regarding his 12th Imam)

Bolani Muslim

Re: Question Regarding Successorship
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »
I've noticed that Shias claim that successor of the imam was clear and that everyone knew it, however when looking at history you'll find that confusion of successor-ship led to countless sects of Shia forming after each imam :p
Good thread: forum.twelvershia.net/general-sunni-vs-shia/how-could-the-prophet-(saws)-not-appoint-a-successor-best-refutations/msg855/

muslim720

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
That link was extremely helpful.  So it is safe to assume that there is no narration which states an Imam [ra] himself would appoint his successor.  If they reason (or use the excuse) that successorship goes from father to son, hence no need for explicitly nominating a successor, then it can be rubbished because after Imam Hassan [ra], his brother Imam Hussain [ra] was the righteous successor, according to Shias, not the son of Imam Hassan [ra].
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:02:33 PM by muslim720 »
"Our coward ran from those in authority" - Iceman (admitting the truth regarding his 12th Imam)

Hadrami

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »
That link was extremely helpful.  So it is safe to assume that there is no narration which states an Imam [ra] himself would appoint his successor.  If they reason (or use the excuse) that successorship goes from father to son, hence no need for explicitly nominating a successor, then it can be rubbished because after Imam Hassan [ra], his brother Imam Hussain [ra] was the righteous successor, according to Shias, not the son of Imam Hassan [ra].

The fact is almost after every imam if not all imam's death, the shias always quarelled and divided among themselves who would be the next imam. Even after the 11th imam death, they were divided into 14 different groups. 10 of which did not believe Hasan al-Askari had a son. Tell shias to go figure why? People with sound logic can conclude there was never explicit nomination or appointment

muslim720

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 03:30:39 AM »
So much for a successor, or guide, being a necessity.

omar111

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
There is a letter in Nehjul belagha that shia quote.But Nehjul Belagha is a book without sanad.This sanad was later invented for it

This is a will of a creature of Allah, Ali son of Abu Taalib (a). It instructs (his heirs) how to spend his property only to gain the Blessings of Allah so that Allah may grant him peace and allow him to enter His Paradise. After me my son Hasan (a) will be the administrator, executor and testator of my property. He can spend it according to the laws of Islam in helping the poor, destitute and the needy in accordance with the canons ordained by Allah. If anything happens to Hasan (a) and Husayn (a) is alive after him, then he will be the next executor and testator and should act according to the spirit of the instructions given herein. Verily, for the two sons of Fatima (a), Hasan and Husayn (a), the share out of my property is equal to the shares of my other sons (being Imams they should not be barred from taking their share and at the same time their share cannot be more on account of their being administrators and executors). I have appointed sons of Fatima (a) executors to please Allah and out of respect and love that I bear towards the Holy Prophet (a) and his daughter (peace of Allah be upon them and their descendants).

Source:Nahjul Balagha, Letter 24
14 عنه عن حماد بن عيسى عن عمرو بن شمر عن جابر عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام، وإبراهيم بن عمر عن ابان رفعه إلى سليم بن قيس الهلالي رضي الله عنه قال سليم: شهدت وصية أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام حين أوصى إلى ابنه الحسن، واشهد على وصيته الحسين عليه السلام ومحمدا وجميع ولده ورؤساء شيعته وأهل بيته، ثم دفع الكتاب إليه والسلاح ثم قال لابنه الحسن: يا بني أمرني رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله ان أوصي إليك وان ادفع إليك كتبي وسلاحي كما أوصى إلي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله ودفع إلي كتبه وسلاحه، وأمرني أن آمرك إذا حضرك الموت ان تدفع ذلك إلى أخيك الحسين، قال: ثم اقبل على ابنه الحسين فقال: وأمرك رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله ان تدفعه إلى ابنك هذا ثم أخذ بيد ابن ابنه علي بن الحسين وهو صبي فضمه إليه ثم قال: لعلي بن الحسين يا بني وأمرك رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله ان تدفعه إلى ابنك محمد بن علي فاقرأه من رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله ومني السلام