TwelverShia.net Forum

Younger Shia are similar to older Shia genrations

Hani

Younger Shia are similar to older Shia genrations
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
Salam,

I've observed that the new generation of Muslims is a lot more aware and a lot more intelligent in determining what's acceptable and objectionable when it comes to religious preaching and rulings. unlike the previous generations who would take anything offered to them without looking into it or questioning its authenticity or validity.

I've noticed however from my interaction online with Shia youth, that they're usually willing to accept the same content their fathers before them accepted, no questions asked they'll consume anything they're given. An example of this phenomenon is what's preached by young scholars like Yasir al-Habib who mainly appeals to Shia youth, he can literally come on stage and produce stories like this:

Nobody asks or questions such a fairy-tale, he narrates it as casually as can be!
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Rationalist

Re: Younger Shia are similar to older Shia genrations
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »
I met a  12er Shia university  student whose marja was Khamenei. To him Khamenei was infallible. He didn't accept any form of criticism against him.

Their religion survives on culture and emotion. To them the concept of aql is when you find new ways to antagonize the Sunnis. However, for self criticism that aql goes into  ghaybah.

Hani

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:49:45 PM »
I don't believe `Aql plays any role in their sect's message and teachings, `Aql is only truly applied by some of their major thinkers and philosophers like Mullah Sadra, TabaTaba'i and a few others, if you review the books of the average Shia scholars you will find the `Aqli level to be laughable and quite inferior. As for laypeople, let's not even get into that.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Rationalist

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:15:52 AM »
Rajabali admits that the 12er are all about crying. It what gets them the high donation for the Khumms.

https://youtu.be/V4n0JXCcBGE?t=558

MuslimAnswers

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:30:56 AM »
I don't believe `Aql plays any role in their sect's message and teachings, `Aql is only truly applied by some of their major thinkers and philosophers like Mullah Sadra, TabaTaba'i and a few others, if you review the books of the average Shia scholars you will find the `Aqli level to be laughable and quite inferior. As for laypeople, let's not even get into that.

Salam Alaykum,

Perhaps the problem from a rational perspective is that they have put themselves in a corner with their Usool. For example, we have the oft-repeated claims that one can know what the Quran means only from the "Infallibles", yet we can discover that a narration attributed to the "Infallibles" is false by comparing it with the Quran - a clear circularity, I am in fact surprised that a sect claiming Logic as a bedrock of their religion would say such a thing at any level.

But of course, the above example also alludes to a bigger problem, that as per the Twelvers' methodology, the "Infallibles" would have to independently assign words and meanings to absolutely every single extramental reality - as per the 12ers we supposed 'Nasibis' have ruined Islam and knowledge in general from the top to the bottom, so the only way for the Twelvers to know the reality of anything is for the "Infallibles" to feed them what each word and its associated meaning is; an extreme and impractical view I confess, but that is the only logical deduction we can make from their initial claims.

Hani

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »
True that,

To claim that ONLY the Imams understand the Qur'an, only they're allowed interpret it while we are blameworthy for understanding it based on our opinions is in direct contradiction to their rule "Dismiss whatever opposes the Qur'an".

Sheikh

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »
Jumping off the op, Shias are also a lot more rigid and don't allow (or at least respect) differences in opinion. In Ahlul Sunnah, our major scholars have differed with one another in a variety of ways, but debated each other in an equal and respectful manner. Not so with the Shia.

Case in point: I was at a Sushi restaurant with a group of Muslim friends and this one Shia was harassing another Shia for eating crab. The other Shia was like "well, my marja allows it and plus I think it's okay because of such and such" and the judgmental Shia kept going on about how only her Marja was the most knowledgeable and that the second Shia should know their place and not disagree with the #1 scholar, etc.

It was like, chill out, people have different opinions and it doesn't make any of them less valid.