TwelverShia.net Forum

Grading of hadiths

Grading of hadiths
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:43:27 AM »
Salam

I want to know the difference between a "Sahih" and a "Hassan" hadith.
And where and when can we work with a "hassan" hadith.

-
Also what is the ruling of a hadith that has been graded"Gareeb" or "Hasaanul Gareeb" which is mostly used by Imam Tirmidhi (if am not mistaken).

Khaled

Re: Grading of hadiths
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:00:08 AM »
wa alykum assalaam,

These questions can't really be answered in one or two lines; I would recommend that you try to get a basic education in hadith science by studying a very introductory text which will help establish your understanding of hadeeth.

Nevertheless, since you asked, a "saheeh" hadeeth is one that doesn't have any deficiencies, just like we call someone who is healthy "saheeh", we refer to ahadeeth that don't have one of these five defincies as "saheeh":
1) Disconnection between narrators,
2) one of the narrators being someone with a weak memory,
3) one of the narrators being someone who is is accused with lying or an extreme innovation (like being a Rafidi, as opposed to a regular Shi'i)
4) the report contradicts a more authentic report (such as the Qur'an, a mutwatir hadeeth, or a hadeeth narrated with a stronger chain),
5) the report has a "hidden" defect (such as it being historically inaccurate, one of the names in the chain is wrong etc)

Therefore, if a hadeeth is connected with narrators that have good memories and are considered upright and doesn't contradict a more authentic report or have any other deficiencies, then it is considered saheeh.

A hassan hadeeth is the same as an authentic hadeeth, except one of the narrators is considered to have a weak memory; however, all the other conditions must be met.

A daeef hadeeth is therefore, one that doesn't meet the conditions of a hassan hadeeth.

Past this, there is a lot more to learn, but I recommend actually trying to find a source (even if online) to learn these things as this is simply not enough to full grasp the concept
كلُّ سُلامى من الناس عليه صدقة كلَّ يوم تطلع فيه الشمس، تَعدلُ بين اثنين صدقة، وتعين الرَّجل في دابَّته فتحمله عليها أو ترفع له عليها متاعَه صدقة، والكلمةُ الطيِّبة صدقة، وبكلِّ خطوة تَمشيها إلى الصلاة صدقة، وتُميط الأذى عن الطريق صدقة

Re: Grading of hadiths
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
wa alykum assalaam,

These questions can't really be answered in one or two lines; I would recommend that you try to get a basic education in hadith science by studying a very introductory text which will help establish your understanding of hadeeth.

Nevertheless, since you asked, a "saheeh" hadeeth is one that doesn't have any deficiencies, just like we call someone who is healthy "saheeh", we refer to ahadeeth that don't have one of these five defincies as "saheeh":
1) Disconnection between narrators,
2) one of the narrators being someone with a weak memory,
3) one of the narrators being someone who is is accused with lying or an extreme innovation (like being a Rafidi, as opposed to a regular Shi'i)
4) the report contradicts a more authentic report (such as the Qur'an, a mutwatir hadeeth, or a hadeeth narrated with a stronger chain),
5) the report has a "hidden" defect (such as it being historically inaccurate, one of the names in the chain is wrong etc)

Therefore, if a hadeeth is connected with narrators that have good memories and are considered upright and doesn't contradict a more authentic report or have any other deficiencies, then it is considered saheeh.

A hassan hadeeth is the same as an authentic hadeeth, except one of the narrators is considered to have a weak memory; however, all the other conditions must be met.

A daeef hadeeth is therefore, one that doesn't meet the conditions of a hassan hadeeth.

Past this, there is a lot more to learn, but I recommend actually trying to find a source (even if online) to learn these things as this is simply not enough to full grasp the concept

OK.
but I am not looking for any detail explanation.
Just a brief .