TwelverShia.net Forum

Imama in the view of Sunnis

confusedshia

Imama in the view of Sunnis
« on: April 09, 2018, 12:05:23 AM »
salam,

i always see shias raising the discussion imama vs khilafah. i could be completely wrong as someone that doesn't know much about theology, but from what i gather, everyone accepts the view that there should be an imam (a muslim ruler) the question is just whether this imam is elected through shura or divinely appointed? in another words, everyone believes in "imama" with a different understanding of what this entails?

also, i remember watching one of mohammed hijab's videos and seeing hearing that some sunni scholars believed that abu bakr was explicitly appointed. is this true? if so, what scholars are these. and if it is true, does this mean the other sunni view is that abu bakr was implicitly appointed, i.e. through his virtues and knowledge making him the best leader for the ummah? or is his implicit appointment through the narration of him leading the salah?

sorry for all the questions

Hani

Re: Imama in the view of Sunnis
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:09:39 AM »
There's was a small group that believed Abu Bakr was directly appointed by explicit text, I suspect some of these guys are still around till our very day. They have some arguments of which I can count:

A- Weak made-up narrations about him being appointed directly.
B- Odd deductions, such as the fact that Abu Bakr was called "Khalifat Rasul-Allah" linguistically implies he appointed him. Or that the Companions unanimously agreed on him therefore he must have been appointed.
C- Some acceptable narrtions and reports on his virtues which they read into and conclude that it were appointments (same way Shia read into `Ali's virtues and think of them as texts of appointment).
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear