TwelverShia.net Forum

Al-Quran English Tafseer

Ijtaba

Al-Quran English Tafseer
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »
As-Salaam o Alaikum Brothers and Sisters.

This is my first post. I have chosen to come to your forum to learn about Ahlul Sunnah. I will be asking some questions so that my knowledge would increase and if I have any misconceptions that would be cleared.

I want to know which is the best Qur'anic English Tafseer you would recommend me to read and study? Give me not more than 2 Tafseers as I have very less time for studying.

One Tafseer which was recommended to me by my Islamic Teacher was Tafsir ibn Kathir which is also available online. He said that it is very good Qur'anic Tafseer which would give me good understanding of Qur'anic verses as each verse is backed by authentic hadiths.

Farid

Re: Al-Quran English Tafseer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:19:53 AM »
Wa alaykum alsalam wa rahmatullah,

I'm personally not aware of any other translated tafaseer. However, I have always recommended it to Arabic speakers as well. I like Al Tabari's tafseer, but I doubt it is translated.

Hani

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:37:29 AM »
al-Salamu `Aleykum,

If you learn the language you will have access to vast oceans of knowledge in all fields of Islamic enlightenment. However, this doesn't mean nothing was translated to english. As you yourself mentioned, Ibn Kathir is an expert scholar and his interpretations are in accordance with the view of the majority of the leading scholars, his book can be found here:
http://www.kalamullah.com/ibn-kathir.html

Also, al-Sayyid Qutb has a strong book of Tafseer that contains much knowledge and his book can be found here:
http://www.kalamullah.com/shade-of-the-quran.html
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Farid

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 04:45:43 AM »
Sayyid Qutb's book is not recommended in my opinion. Scholars have referred to it is a book of literature, not tafseer.

Hani

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 06:23:20 AM »
My wife studied it, it's a good book that covers a lot of topics. I know it's not your typical Tafseer book and his method is very different but still what the reader acquires is very valuable in terms of the interpretation of verses.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Ijtaba

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 11:53:04 PM »
Thank you brother Farid, Hani and Ibn Yahya for your recommendations.

I would now study both Tafseer ibn Katheer and Tafseer by al-Sayyid Qutb. Thanks brother Hani for the links.

ManofIlsam

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
So is Ibn Kathir's Tafseer of The Holy Qur'an, considered to be the best Tafseer in English?

Farid

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
Welcome to the boards.

Due to the lack of translated material into English, I do hold the opinion that it is the best tafseer in English.

It is a good amd solid tafseer, even in Arabic, of course. However, I have other preferences.

ManofIlsam

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
Welcome to the boards.

Due to the lack of translated material into English, I do hold the opinion that it is the best tafseer in English.

It is a good amd solid tafseer, even in Arabic, of course. However, I have other preferences.

Jazaka Allah khair, bro.

Noor-us-Sunnah

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
Wa alaikumsalam wr wb.

Brother you may even try this tafseer from Mufti Shafi uthmani:

http://www.maarifulquran.net/index.php/maarifulquran/maarifulquran-english-pdf

ManofIlsam

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 01:21:00 AM »
Wa alaikumsalam wr wb.

Brother you may even try this tafseer from Mufti Shafi uthmani:

http://www.maarifulquran.net/index.php/maarifulquran/maarifulquran-english-pdf

Noor-us-Sunnah: Jazaka Allah khair, Dear Sister!

jawediqbal

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:13 PM »
As-Salaam o Alaikum Brothers and Sisters.

This is my first post. I have chosen to come to your forum to learn about Ahlul Sunnah. I will be asking some questions so that my knowledge would increase and if I have any misconceptions that would be cleared.

I want to know which is the best Qur'anic English Tafseer you would recommend me to read and study? Give me not more than 2 Tafseers as I have very less time for studying.

One Tafseer which was recommended to me by my Islamic Teacher was Tafsir ibn Kathir which is also available online. He said that it is very good Qur'anic Tafseer which would give me good understanding of Qur'anic verses as each verse is backed by authentic hadiths.

I know a tafseer of al quran "tafseer siratul jinan" but its not in english, this quran tafseer is in urdu language..
https://www.dawateislami.net/downloads/islamic-apps/kalma-and-dua