TwelverShia.net Forum

Who collected the Qur'an

Ibn Yahya

Who collected the Qur'an
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
This Hadith said its Abu ad-Darda, Zayd Ibn Thabit, Abu Zayd and Mu'adh Ibn Jabal.
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/66/26

But this Hadith says its Ubay Ibn Ka'b instead of Abu ad-Darda'
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/63/36

What's the explanation of these Hadiths?

Farid

Re: Who collected the Qur'an
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
The term Jama'a جمع in this context means memorized.

Sh. Noorudeen Itr speaks about the meanings of these hadiths and how to reconcile them. I'm outta home now. I'll share what he said later.

Ibn Yahya

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
The term Jama'a جمع in this context means memorized.

Sh. Noorudeen Itr speaks about the meanings of these hadiths and how to reconcile them. I'm outta home now. I'll share what he said later.
Jazak Allahu Khayrun

Farid

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »
Sh. Itr says that the one that says Ubai is the correct report. Anas was referring to those that memorized the Qur'an from the Khazraj tribe alone according to Ibn Hajar.

Of course, we have another issue since we all know that there are others from the Khazraj that memorized the Qur'an as well.

Sh. Itr argues that Anas is referring to the top memorizers from the Khazraj, not that these were the only memorizers. The narration that mentions Ubai does not specify that they are the only memorizers after all.

Ibn Yahya

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
Sh. Itr says that the one that says Ubai is the correct report. Anas was referring to those that memorized the Qur'an from the Khazraj tribe alone according to Ibn Hajar.

Of course, we have another issue since we all know that there are others from the Khazraj that memorized the Qur'an as well.

Sh. Itr argues that Anas is referring to the top memorizers from the Khazraj, not that these were the only memorizers. The narration that mentions Ubai does not specify that they are the only memorizers after all.

Thanks so much yeah