TwelverShia.net Forum

Tasheel al-Hamza in the Poetry of Quraysh

lotfilms

Tasheel al-Hamza in the Poetry of Quraysh
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
السلام عليكم
اللهم صل على محمد وآل محمد

It is known that Quraysh were known for doing "tasheel" (تسهيل) of the hamza.
So for example, they would say سال instead of سأل or راس instead of رأس or ذيب instead of ذئب.
And this is reflected in some of the qira'aat, most famously Warsh 'an Nafi':

(he makes a couple of mistakes but you can quite clearly hear the tasheel like where he says يومن instead of يؤمن)

This is a nice research which proves this phenomenon from Qurashi poetry:
http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=22639

Remember that when you read poetry in many books or on the internet, the editor will often put the hamzas, etc to fit modern Fusha, so keep that in mind.  You often have to dig into the meter to see this phenomenon.

والله أعلم

Hani

Re: Tasheel al-Hamza in the Poetry of Quraysh
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »
Yes, I noticed for example on 1:46, he says يُوتِيهِمْ instead of يُؤْتِيهِمْ, which is a very clear case. As for the book, it does have some interesting things in it such as the Hadith of the five reciters who differed, I wish we could read some Qur'anic related Hadithi material if you weren't busy, you'll find loads of Fawa'id.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Husayn

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
Yeah I notice this alot in Egyptian tajweed recitations.
إن يتبعون إلا الظن وما تهوى الأنفس

lotfilms

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:01:57 AM »
Yes, I noticed for example on 1:46, he says يُوتِيهِمْ instead of يُؤْتِيهِمْ, which is a very clear case. As for the book, it does have some interesting things in it such as the Hadith of the five reciters who differed, I wish we could read some Qur'anic related Hadithi material if you weren't busy, you'll find loads of Fawa'id.

Also notice he does wasl of the meem there
So he says:
والذين آمنوا بالله ورسله ولم يفرقوا بين أحد منهمُ أولئك سوف نوتيهمُ أجورهم... الآية
(ملاحظة هانئ: في حفص هو يؤتيهم ولكن في ورش هو نوتيهم بالنون)
It's said that this wasl of meem was also in the dialect of Quraysh.

والله أعلم

lotfilms

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »
http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=22639
Huge correction: he's basically saying that even though it's 'well-known' between the scholars of language past and present that tasheel al-hamza was part of the language of Qurays, he's saying that empirically this is not true because it's not reflected in their poetry.  i have a few questions about his research that i need to double-check for myself so i'll have to research into this matter further insha'Allah; just wanted to put this out there