TwelverShia.net Forum

Can a Sunni hold this view?

confusedshia

Can a Sunni hold this view?
« on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »
Salam,

Is it acceptable for a Sunni to hold the view that Ali ibn Abu Talib was more virtuous than Abu Bakr and may have been a better first leader for the ummah, whilst simultaneously accepting the validity of Abu Bakr's rule, or would this be considered a deviant view?

Farid

Re: Can a Sunni hold this view?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
Wa alaykum alsalam,

It would be an incorrect view, but I don't like to refer to a small thing like this as deviant.

Hani

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
Definitely not a "deviant" view, rather a matter of preference. I believe it was Allah's grace that led to a wise and experienced leader like Abu Bakr to be in charge in those critical times.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Optimus Prime

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »
I personally definitely think it's a deviant view, and I have read works of various scholars from the past who would declare such a person a renegade deviant.

One is essentially going against ijtema of many scholars and the highest authenticity of Ahadith which, confirm that 'Ali's rank is no where near Abu Bakr.

confusedshia

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:51 AM »
I personally definitely think it's a deviant view, and I have read works of various scholars from the past who would declare such a person a renegade deviant.

One is essentially going against ijtema of many scholars and the highest authenticity of Ahadith which, confirm that 'Ali's rank is no where near Abu Bakr.

Can you give us some names please?

confusedshia

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:06:20 AM »
Wa alaykum alsalam,

It would be an incorrect view, but I don't like to refer to a small thing like this as deviant.

Definitely not a "deviant" view, rather a matter of preference. I believe it was Allah's grace that led to a wise and experienced leader like Abu Bakr to be in charge in those critical times.

What about holding the view that Abu Bakr was mistaken for deciding not to invite or inform Ali ibn Abu Talib to join him at Saqifa?

Rationalist

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 05:18:44 AM »
It is possible.
A whole lecture dedicated to this topic.