TwelverShia.net Forum

Umar (RA) removes Muawiyah's (RA) pride

Optimus Prime

Umar (RA) removes Muawiyah's (RA) pride
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:14:17 AM »
A narration once shared by brother Hani.

قَالَ: أَخْبَرَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ الْوَلِيدِ الأَزْرَقِيُّ، وَالْوَلِيدُ بْنُ عَطَاءِ بْنِ الأَغَرِّ الْمَكِّيَّانِ، قَالا: حَدَّثَنَا عَمْرُو بْنُ يَحْيَى بْنِ سَعِيدٍ الأُمَوِيُّ، عَنْ جَدِّهِ، قَالَ: دَخَلَ مُعَاوِيَةُ عَلَى عُمَرَ بْنِ الْخَطَّابِ وَعَلَيْهِ حُلَّةٌ خَضْرَاءُ، فَنَظَرَ إِلَيْهَا أَصْحَابُ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ فَلَمَّا رَأَى ذَلِكَ عُمَرُ وَثَبَ إِلَيْهِ وَمَعَهُ الدِّرَّةُ فَجَعَلَ ضَرْبًا لِمُعَاوِيَةَ، وَمُعَاوِيَةُ يَقُولُ: اللَّهَ اللَّهَ  يَا أَمِيرَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ، فِيمَ فِيمَ؟ قَالَ: فَلَمْ يُكَلِّمْهُ حَتَّى رَجَعَ فَجَلَسَ فِي مَجْلِسِهِ، فَقَالَ لَهُ الْقَوْمُ: لِمَ ضَرَبْتَ الْفَتَى يَا أَمِيرَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ؟ مَا فِي قَوْمِكَ مِثْلَهُ، فَقَالَ: " وَاللَّهِ مَا رَأَيْتُ إِلا خَيْرًا، وَمَا بَلَغَنِي إِلا خَيْرًا وَلَكِنِّي رَأَيْتُهُ، وَأَشَارَ بِيَدِهِ، فَأَحْبَبْتُ أَنْ أَضَعَ مِنْهُ

[Sa`eed al-Qurashi narrates: Mu`awiyah entered on a Majlis of `Umar bin al-Khattab and he was wearing (apparently fancy) green colored clothes, so all the companions of Rasul-Allah (saw) (who were present) started looking at it (as if desiring one like it), when `Umar saw this he stood up and quickly started hitting Mu`awiyah with a whip and Mu`awiyah was saying: "By Allah, by Allah O Ameer al-Mu'mineen, why why?" He never answered him until he went back and sat in his Majlis, the folks said to `Umar: "Why'd you hit the young man O Ameer al-Mu'mineen? None of your people (meaning governors) are as good as he." He said to them: "By Allah I never saw from him except goodness nor have I heard concerning him except what is good, but I saw him (wearing it with pride) -and he pointed with his finger- so I liked to lower his pride."]

Source: Tabaqat ibn Sa`d.

Optimus Prime

Re: Umar (RA) removes Muawiyah's (RA) pride
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »
This was one that I was looking for.

Sheikh

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
But `Umar was oh so corrupt.  ::)

Ameen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:22:40 AM »
Ok, what was the point of Umar's action??? Why did he do this???

"I liked to lower his pride"???

What is this suppose to mean??? You start whacking people just to lower their pride because you feel like it??? Or because you seem to have the authority and power to do as you please???

Optimus Prime

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 03:58:30 AM »
Ok, what was the point of Umar's action??? Why did he do this???

"I liked to lower his pride"???

What is this suppose to mean??? You start whacking people just to lower their pride because you feel like it??? Or because you seem to have the authority and power to do as you please???

Read the last bit of the narration.

Typically, you won't read the entire narration, but instead look for something to cling onto just to highlight (in your view) the sort of person, Umar (RA) was.

I see right through you, mate. ;)

Hani

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
Well he's their commander and chief, if he sees fit to discipline his own governors for whatever reason, that is up to him.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

sameer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
Well he's their commander and chief, if he sees fit to discipline his own governors for whatever reason, that is up to him.
absolutely , same kind of action taken by Hazrat Ali RA whn He heated up a piece of iron and took it near his brother aqeel's hand whn he was asking to increase his monthly stipend...
http://www.abischool.com/docs/newsletter/2014_05.pdf

Furkan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
A shiite defendig Muawiyah against Umar...
Before Qazî Mihemed, President of the first kurdish Republic Mahabad was hanged the iranian judge asked:

“last words?”

Qazî: “I thank Allah: even in death he put my shoes above your heads”

Hadrami

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »

hahaha thats a good one. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. He hates Umar RA more than Muawiyah RA then.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 04:36:41 PM »

hahaha thats a good one. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. He hates Umar RA more than Muawiyah RA then.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

ahlebaitlover

• +0/-0
  • Love For the Sahaba is IMAAN!
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »
Any brothers like to post the chain of narration please, I am unable to read the arabic, its too small to read.

Anyhow, tabkaat ibn saad is full of shi'ite narrations, its just like tarikh tabari, its just an encyclopedia of narrations, both have made no effort to clarify and clean the saheeh of mawdhoo narrations, and they don't need to, they just tried to gather all the narrations in one place.
Shukran
Syed Asad Ali

ahlebaitlover

• +0/-0
  • Love For the Sahaba is IMAAN!
  • Religion: Sunni
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
Books of history are no way reliable as a book of hadith,  if there is an narration where the honour of the sahaba is at stake then we must take the narration under the microscope.
I met one "mufti" who was taking any narration which was attacking the sahaba, and when i explained that the narration is full of shi'ite rafidhi narrators, he became angry.
Its so weird what kind of nonsensical garbage people will take, just because it fits their ideology.
Shukran
Syed Asad Ali

Optimus Prime

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:53:17 PM »
Books of history are no way reliable as a book of hadith,  if there is an narration where the honour of the sahaba is at stake then we must take the narration under the microscope.
I met one "mufti" who was taking any narration which was attacking the sahaba, and when i explained that the narration is full of shi'ite rafidhi narrators, he became angry.
Its so weird what kind of nonsensical garbage people will take, just because it fits their ideology.

Asalamualaikum brother.

Good to see you back.

I agree to an extent brother, but it ultimately boils down to the chain of narrators. Just because a narration depicts a companion in a negative light doesn't mean by default it should be downgraded to being regarded as a fabrication. The companions were sincere, genuine and faithful people when it comes to being role-models for the deen, but they were not infallible and were prone to making errors and committing sins.

I re-call a narration where Umar (RA) beated Abu Hurrairah (RA) once for a similar reason if I'm not mistaken.

Hani, can you confirm if the narration is deemed authentic? I believe you posted this on HCY back in the day.