TwelverShia.net Forum

Narration on the Virtue of Mu'awiyah that will silence the Rawafid

Ibn Yahya

Jami' at-Tirmidhi 3842

'Abdur-Rahman bin Abu 'Umairah narrated - and he was one of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah - from the Prophet , that he said to Mu'awiyah: "O' Allah, make him a guiding one, guided, and guide (others) by him." (Sahīh)
[Abū 'Isa said:] This Hadith is Hasan Gharib.

Khaled

Re: Narration on the Virtue of Mu'awiyah that will silence the Rawafid
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 02:04:31 AM »
Jami' at-Tirmidhi 3842

'Abdur-Rahman bin Abu 'Umairah narrated - and he was one of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah - from the Prophet , that he said to Mu'awiyah: "O' Allah, make him a guiding one, guided, and guide (others) by him." (Sahīh)

When at-Tirmidhi says "hasan gharib" that usually means its weak according to him.

There is no clear consensus on what at-Tirmidhi means by those statements, but generally thats what a lot of scholars of hadeeth say and have told me; hasan gharib is weak when at-Tirmidhi says it
كلُّ سُلامى من الناس عليه صدقة كلَّ يوم تطلع فيه الشمس، تَعدلُ بين اثنين صدقة، وتعين الرَّجل في دابَّته فتحمله عليها أو ترفع له عليها متاعَه صدقة، والكلمةُ الطيِّبة صدقة، وبكلِّ خطوة تَمشيها إلى الصلاة صدقة، وتُميط الأذى عن الطريق صدقة

Ibn Yahya

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 03:48:06 AM »
Jami' at-Tirmidhi 3842

When at-Tirmidhi says "hasan gharib" that usually means its weak according to him.

There is no clear consensus on what at-Tirmidhi means by those statements, but generally thats what a lot of scholars of hadeeth say and have told me; hasan gharib is weak when at-Tirmidhi says it

Well this says it means that there are possible defects but there isn't anything outwardly wrong https://jawziya.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/methodology-of-imam-tirmizi-in-his-classification-of-narrations-in-sunan-al-trimidhi/ . But the Publisher graded it Sahih

Farid

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
I disagree with brother Khaled that this is what Al Tirmithi intended. He defines what a Hasan hadith is in the last chapter of his book. So, it is a hasan hadith, according to the criteria mentioned, that has come through one chain, and therefore, ghareeb.

Rationalist

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
Wasn't Imam Nasai on the opinion that Muawiyah had no merit ?

Ebn Hussein

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
^He was of the opinion (like the Shaykh of Bukhari, Rahawayh) that no PARTICULAR hadith has been narrated in regards to his merits. This is the case of the ABSOLUTE majority of the Sahaba (i.e. no particular narrations have been narrated in regards to their merits).
الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله
لم أر أحداً من أهل الأهواء أشهد بالزور من الرافضة! - الخطيب في الكفاية والسوطي.

Imam Al-Shafi3i - may Allah have mercy upon him - said: "I have not seen among the heretics a people more famous for falsehood than the Rafidah." [narrated by Al-Khatib Al-Baghdadi/Al-Kifayah]

Furkan

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
How about the hadith where Muawiyah is leading the prayer and after that someone goes to Ibn Abbas (ra) to complain about how Muawiyah (ra) leaded the prayer. Ibn Abbas (ra) replied that Muawiyah is a faqih. (something like this, can't remember exactly)
Before Qazî Mihemed, President of the first kurdish Republic Mahabad was hanged the iranian judge asked:

“last words?”

Qazî: “I thank Allah: even in death he put my shoes above your heads”

Farid

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
Praise from the companions like Ibn Abbas do exist.

The difference of opinion is whether the Prophet peace be upon him praised him or not.

Rationalist

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »
^He was of the opinion (like the Shaykh of Bukhari, Rahawayh) that no PARTICULAR hadith has been narrated in regards to his merits. This is the case of the ABSOLUTE majority of the Sahaba (i.e. no particular narrations have been narrated in regards to their merits).

If that's the case why did his opinion cause a reaction where the Muslims beat him for it?

Khaled

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »

If that's the case why did his opinion cause a reaction where the Muslims beat him for it?

Because they thought he was being a Shi'i, just like what happens today with Hatim al-Awni; everyone accuses him of being a Shi'i because he doesn't believe any of the ahadeeth that mention the merits of Muawiyyah are authentic.

Remember, an-Nasaa'ee narrates from Mu'awiyyah; so at the very least he thought of his as a Companion
كلُّ سُلامى من الناس عليه صدقة كلَّ يوم تطلع فيه الشمس، تَعدلُ بين اثنين صدقة، وتعين الرَّجل في دابَّته فتحمله عليها أو ترفع له عليها متاعَه صدقة، والكلمةُ الطيِّبة صدقة، وبكلِّ خطوة تَمشيها إلى الصلاة صدقة، وتُميط الأذى عن الطريق صدقة

Ebn Hussein

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »
^

Ahsant. The Rafidi virus was so despised (due to their filthy beliefs), that back in those days every sane Muslims hated them to bits. So everybody who slightly resembled them (the Rafidah) in any shape or form was hated too. That's reactionary and not good, but then, what can you expect, Rafidism is such an evil religion, normal people don't want to have anything to do with it.
الإمام الشافعي رحمه الله
لم أر أحداً من أهل الأهواء أشهد بالزور من الرافضة! - الخطيب في الكفاية والسوطي.

Imam Al-Shafi3i - may Allah have mercy upon him - said: "I have not seen among the heretics a people more famous for falsehood than the Rafidah." [narrated by Al-Khatib Al-Baghdadi/Al-Kifayah]

Rationalist

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
Blind muqalids are a danger to both Shias and Sunnis.

Khaled

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
Blind muqalids are a danger to both Shias and Sunnis.

Where is the taqlid?  An-Nasa'ee and al-Haakim both narrate ahadeeth and both authenticate the ahadeeth they narrate from Mu'aawiyah.  Just because these two scholars (among many) don't believe there are ahadeeth on the virtues of Mu'aawiyah doesn't mean they don't consider him a Sahaabi or that they think he is a Faasiq.

Rationalist

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 09:27:46 AM »
You misunderstood my statement. I was talking about the general Muslim community.