TwelverShia.net Forum

The Massacre of Karbala

Sheikh

The Massacre of Karbala
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:34:39 AM »

Salaams,

Firstly, I'd like to wish all Muslims a Happy New Year.

Now, let's get to the "meat and potatoes" of this topic.  The Massacre of Karbala was a massacre that happened on the 10th day of Muharram in the year 61 AH.  It was a battle between Hussein b. Ali (ra), his family and companions, and the forces of a man known as Umar b. Sa'ad who was taking orders from the governor of Kufa, Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad, who was appointed by Yazeed b. Muawiyah.  Umar b. Sa'ad won the battle and massacred Hussein b. Ali (ra) and all of his men. 

This battle is primarily remembered by our unhappily separated brethren in the Shiite sect whom commemorate the battle every year by gathering in Husseiniyyahs (the Shiite version of a Musalla), singing poetry, listening to lectures, and beating their chests.  They continue this period of mourning for a grand total of 50 days from the 1st day of Muharram to the 20th day of Safar (known as Arba'een "the fortieth").  The first 9 days are basically practice and the real mourning begins on the 10th of Muharram (hence why the 20th day of Safar is known as Arba'een and not Khamsoon). 

Our friends in the Shiite sect have a very unique reading of the Massacre of Karbala.  Those of us who are part of the jama'ah generally view the massacre as a terrible event in history where an overzealous general (Umar b. Sa'ad) committed horrible crimes at the direction of a tyrannical governor (Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad) who was placed in his position by an unrepentant King (Yazeed b. Muawiyah).  The Shiites, however, completely disregard the culpability of Umar b. Sa'ad and Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad.  Their names are very rarely mentioned in any discussion about what led up to the Massacre and who was really at fault.  Rather, they view Hussein b. Ali (ra) as a perfect being who was carrying out absolutely righteousness against a Satan-on-Earth (Yazeed b. Muawiyah).  To the Shiites, there is absolutely nobody to blame except for Yazeed, even though there was no way for him to even know about the Massacre until weeks after it occurred (unfortunately, there was no Facebook or Whatsapp in the 8th century, they had to actually ride horses all the way to Damascus to talk to Yazeed).  Additionally, they believe that Hussein b. Ali (ra) would want them to beat their chests and occasionally slice their heads open every year in His honor, instead of fighting for the principles that He (ra) fought for.

It is at this point that I must admit that I am not the most eloquent person that could be having this talk.  I am an uneducated layman and I think it would be best if we had a true scholar presenting these lessons.  Thankfully, there is a real scholar who has already done the great work of recording a 2 hour long majlis on this topic.  He discusses the Massacre of Karbala from beginning to end.  He talks about all of the events leading up to the Massacre as well as discussing culpability and who is most at fault.  He also discusses the differences in opinion between the Muslims and the Shiites in regards to this horrible Massacre.

I present to you, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1tPyHAgAo

Bolani Muslim

Re: The Massacre of Karbala
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:41:05 AM »
May my father and my mother shed their lives for you. O' Messenger of Allah! With your death the process of prophethood, revelation and heavenly messages has stopped, which had not stopped at the death of others (prophets). Your position with us (members of your family) is so special that your grief has become a source of consolation (to us) as against the grief of all others; your grief is also common so that all Muslims share it equally. If you had not ordered endurance and prevented us from bewailing, we would have produced a store of tears and even then the pain would not have subsided, and this grief would not have ended, and they would have been too little of our grief for you. But this (death) is a matter that cannot be reversed nor is it possible to repulse it. May my father and my mother die for you; do remember us with Allah and take care of us.
Nahjul Balagha, Sermon 233
http://www.nahjulbalagha.org/Nahjul-Balagha-Sermons/nahjul-balagha-sermon-233.html

Missed you Agha Sheikh!!!

Hani

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:58:35 AM »
Brother Muhammad Moin was conducting a historical research on al-Husayn ibn `Ali in another thread, I hope that works out well and he finishes it.

For the time being I recommend reading this:
http://twelvershia.net/2015/09/05/ashura-lies-and-fabrications/
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Sheikh

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:14:01 AM »
May my father and my mother shed their lives for you. O' Messenger of Allah! With your death the process of prophethood, revelation and heavenly messages has stopped, which had not stopped at the death of others (prophets). Your position with us (members of your family) is so special that your grief has become a source of consolation (to us) as against the grief of all others; your grief is also common so that all Muslims share it equally. If you had not ordered endurance and prevented us from bewailing, we would have produced a store of tears and even then the pain would not have subsided, and this grief would not have ended, and they would have been too little of our grief for you. But this (death) is a matter that cannot be reversed nor is it possible to repulse it. May my father and my mother die for you; do remember us with Allah and take care of us.
Nahjul Balagha, Sermon 233
http://www.nahjulbalagha.org/Nahjul-Balagha-Sermons/nahjul-balagha-sermon-233.html

Doh!  I should have mentioned that.  Sunnis believe that Hussein b. Ali (ra) was trying to overthrow a tyrant and bring peace and justice to the Islamic world.  Shiites believe that Hussein b. Ali (ra) committed suicide because He and all of his family including the Messenger of Allah (saws) knew that he would die if he went.

Missed you Agha Sheikh!!!
Missed you too, akhi.  You still on Facebook?

Bolani Muslim

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:47:45 AM »
Shias believe that Imam Hussain (ra) went to Karbala to have his family imprisoned and Sahaba killed to prove how bad Yazid was.
'So it would be necessary to establish a movement beyond explanation and dialogue, an unusual movement in which blood is sacrificed. This movement would awaken the nation from its depths, to see the corruption of the leader’s soul after it had neglected the corruption of the leader’s deeds!'
http://www.imamreza.net/eng/imamreza.php?id=5911

Missed you too, akhi.  You still on Facebook?
Yeah, though not as often as before as I'm busy. Though I try to go on atleast 2x a week.

Hani

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »
Yes, I have read more than once on their official websites that they believe al-Husayn knew he and his family were going to get massacred so he went to die for our salvation. A very christian like belief.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

Optimus Prime

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
I posted this video before.

Afzalsheikh

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
We should learn many lessons about this. Because the 10 of Muharram (Ashura ') is full of blessings and lessons, and that's why ALLAH made fasting the day of Ashura optionally Recommended matter per the hadith narrated by Bukhary and Muslim. https://www.dawateislami.net/medialibrary/50070

iceman

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 12:45:21 AM »
Salaams,

Firstly, I'd like to wish all Muslims a Happy New Year.

Now, let's get to the "meat and potatoes" of this topic.  The Massacre of Karbala was a massacre that happened on the 10th day of Muharram in the year 61 AH.  It was a battle between Hussein b. Ali (ra), his family and companions, and the forces of a man known as Umar b. Sa'ad who was taking orders from the governor of Kufa, Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad, who was appointed by Yazeed b. Muawiyah.  Umar b. Sa'ad won the battle and massacred Hussein b. Ali (ra) and all of his men. 

This battle is primarily remembered by our unhappily separated brethren in the Shiite sect whom commemorate the battle every year by gathering in Husseiniyyahs (the Shiite version of a Musalla), singing poetry, listening to lectures, and beating their chests.  They continue this period of mourning for a grand total of 50 days from the 1st day of Muharram to the 20th day of Safar (known as Arba'een "the fortieth").  The first 9 days are basically practice and the real mourning begins on the 10th of Muharram (hence why the 20th day of Safar is known as Arba'een and not Khamsoon). 

Our friends in the Shiite sect have a very unique reading of the Massacre of Karbala.  Those of us who are part of the jama'ah generally view the massacre as a terrible event in history where an overzealous general (Umar b. Sa'ad) committed horrible crimes at the direction of a tyrannical governor (Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad) who was placed in his position by an unrepentant King (Yazeed b. Muawiyah).  The Shiites, however, completely disregard the culpability of Umar b. Sa'ad and Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad.  Their names are very rarely mentioned in any discussion about what led up to the Massacre and who was really at fault.  Rather, they view Hussein b. Ali (ra) as a perfect being who was carrying out absolutely righteousness against a Satan-on-Earth (Yazeed b. Muawiyah).  To the Shiites, there is absolutely nobody to blame except for Yazeed, even though there was no way for him to even know about the Massacre until weeks after it occurred (unfortunately, there was no Facebook or Whatsapp in the 8th century, they had to actually ride horses all the way to Damascus to talk to Yazeed).  Additionally, they believe that Hussein b. Ali (ra) would want them to beat their chests and occasionally slice their heads open every year in His honor, instead of fighting for the principles that He (ra) fought for.

It is at this point that I must admit that I am not the most eloquent person that could be having this talk.  I am an uneducated layman and I think it would be best if we had a true scholar presenting these lessons.  Thankfully, there is a real scholar who has already done the great work of recording a 2 hour long majlis on this topic.  He discusses the Massacre of Karbala from beginning to end.  He talks about all of the events leading up to the Massacre as well as discussing culpability and who is most at fault.  He also discusses the differences in opinion between the Muslims and the Shiites in regards to this horrible Massacre.

I present to you, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1tPyHAgAo

"It is at this point that I must admit that I am not the most eloquent person that could be having this talk.  I am an uneducated layman and I think it would be best if we had a true scholar presenting these lessons"

ABSOLUTELY. At the beginning you speak as though you are some extremely knowledgeable and some sort of top historian or scholar. The majority of the Muslims believe Hussain and his family and companions had the courage to stand up and protect and defend Islam from the corruption within. He stood up and challenged the Muslim ruler and tyrant by refusing to swear allegiance to him. Only a minority of you think otherwise. Been discussed many times over. 😊

Equate

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 01:43:34 AM »
Test

^^ Sorry I was just testing if I can reply to any posts here. I apparently can't start any new thread (says approval needed). I am wondering if I can respond to an existing one. Also, there didn't seem to be any option to delete the above response.