TwelverShia.net Forum

The Tawwabin Movement

ZulFiqar

The Tawwabin Movement
« on: July 05, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »
Here is a movement that is very significant historically but also theologically which I feel the intelligentsia of the Muslim Umma have neglected and not given due regard to. I’d like to point out that this movement was led by an eminent companion of the Nabi ﷺ namely, sayyidina Suleman b. Surad al-Khuza’i رضى الله عنه. They were not motivated by a desire for political power but purely for the expiation of a collective sin that the people of Kufa had incurred by not coming to the aid of Imam al-Hussain رضى الله عنه who was tragically martyred at Karbala. So they became known as the Tawwabun “penitents”. This is very significant because it marks the first real and legitimate religious revival movement in the very early history of Islam. This was a purely religious movement. Its only objective was to make atonement for a mistake. The movement found guidance from the story of the Israelites when they rebelled and turned back on their heels during the forty-day absence of Sayyidina Musa عليه السلام. It becomes apparent from that story that some of the Israelites outright committed apostasy by worshiping the golden calf, while some others wavered. Then the Nabi Musa عليه السلام instructed those among them who wished to repent and expiate their collective sin:
يَا قَوْمِ إِنَّكُمْ ظَلَمْتُمْ أَنفُسَكُم بِاتِّخَاذِكُمُ الْعِجْلَ فَتُوبُوا إِلَىٰ بَارِئِكُمْ فَاقْتُلُوا أَنفُسَكُمْ ذَٰلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ عِندَ بَارِئِكُمْ فَتَابَ عَلَيْكُمْ ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ

“O my people! Verily you have committed oppression upon your souls by your taking of the calf [in worship]. So turn back to your Originator [Allah] and kill yourselves. Verily, that is better for you with your Originator [Maker].” So He accepted your repentance. Verily, He is Oft-Returning, the Merciful. (Sura 2:54)

Undoubtedly, this blessed Ayah was the foundation of the thought and objective of the noble Tawwabin movement. Their subsequent actions form a basis for the correct Ta’wil of this Ayah; for they did not commit suicide, but rather, fought against and killed those from among themselves [anfusakum] who were responsible for the actual crime, i.e., the killing of Imam al-Hussain رضى الله عنه. Meaning, those Tawwabin from among Bani Israel did not commit suicide, rather, they took up the sword to kill the culprits from among themselves who were guilty of having crafted the golden calf and taken it as an object of worship, an act that became the collective sin of the nation. It is written in the Torah that when Moses saw the sin his people had committed by taking the idol of the calf in worship, he called upon them to come back to the side of the Lord. The Levites in particular rallied around Moses, who said to them: “Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour. And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.”

Three thousand men were killed as a result of the movement of the original Tawwabin. And so the Tawwabin of this Umma likewise armed themselves and set out to fight those who were responsible for the murder of Imam al-Hussain رضى الله عنه. And in the process, our Tawwabin achieved martyrdom at the Battle of Ayn al-Warda. May Allah accept their repentance and be pleased with them آمين
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

ZulFiqar

Re: The Tawwabin Movement
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
Now the Tawwabin movement apparently influenced other armed uprisings against the Ummayads and Abbasids. Regarding the Ummayads, we know, according to the testimony of SafinaRA who referred to them as “Banu al-Zarqaa” that they were most evil dynasty (Tirmidhi). And it is said that the Shajarat al-Mal’unah the “cursed tree” as mentioned in the Qur’an al-Karim, which the Prophet ﷺ beheld in a Vision as apes jumping upon his Pulpit is none other than the tyrannical rulers from Bani Ummaya. And it is said that the period of the Prophet ﷺ described as Lailat al-Qadr “Night of Destiny” is better than a thousand months, i.e., the precise length of the duration of the tyrannical Ummayad ruler (Tirmidhi)

So the honorable Imam, Zaid b. ‘Ali رضى الله عنه rose up in Kufa against Hisham b. Abdal Malik, through which he attained martyrdom. His son, the noble Imam, Yahia b. Zaid, rose up during the time of al-Walid b. Yazid b. Abdal Malik in Khurasan, and he too attained martyrdom. And we can talk about the uprisings of many others from Ahl-al-Bait, such as Imam Nafs al-Zakiyya رضى الله عنه and his relatives (brother, uncle, nephew, cousin, and son) during the time of the oppressor and Abbasid ruler al-Mansur. Imam Zaid’s other son, Isa b. Zaid, rose up during the time of the Abbasid oppressor “al-Mahdi”. And rose up the Companion of al-Fakhkh, al-Hussain b. ‘Ali b. al-Hassan b. al-Hassan al-Muthanna b. al-Hassan b. ‘Ali b. Abi Talib in the time of the Abbasid oppressor al-Hadi. He attained martyrdom near Mecca in the place called al-Fakhkh. A son of Abdullah al-Mahd and brother of Imam Nafs al-Zakiyya, namely, Yahia, rose up in al-Daylam during the reign of the oppressor Harun al-Rashid. And the uprising of the Companion of al-Taliqan (in modern-day Afghanistan), and the uprising of Muhammad b. Ja’far b. Yahia, the grandson of Yahia who rose in Daylam. Muhammad b. Ja’far’s uprising was in Herat (modern day Afghanistan). There were many uprisings by the Ahl-al-Bait particularly the progeny of Imam Zaid, during the time of the Abbasid oppressor al-Musta’in. These and many other subsequent uprisings illustrate the underlying desire in the hearts of the early Muslims that they be ruled by the pious Imams of Ahl-al-Bait, rather than the corrupt and oppressive Ummayad and Abbasid sultans. The entire early history of Islam is a history of turbulence, uprisings, and armed struggle to establish a just and pious government. That is the spirit of the Islamic message which many modern-day Muslims don’t seem to appreciate or understand. 

My Blog
Forbidden_Link

ZulFiqar

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
These two lineages, i.e., the progeny of sayyidina Zayd al-Shahid b. ‘Ali Zayn al-Abidin رضى الله عنهما and the progeny of sayyidina Abdallah al-Mahd b. al-Hassan al-Muthanna رضى الله عنهما are like the two seas mentioned in Sura ar-Rahman from which emerge pearl and coral (55:22). It was from these two blessed lineages that many honorable men rose up against the oppressors to establish a pure and just government on the Earth. al-Mahdi al-Muntadhir رضى الله عنه will appear finally succeed in completing the mission of his forefathers. 
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

zaid_ibn_ali

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
My post disappeared. Not sure why....

Abu Muhammad

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »
@Zilfiqar, what are your sources of this Tawwabun movement story?

I heard from Yasir Qadi's lecture that the formation of Tawwabun movement marked the beginning of theological Shi'ism. In fact, even practice of "matam" originated from them. Could anybody confirm this?

Hani

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »
Well they were sad and did perform a mourning session but it wasn't retarded like today's ones. The Tawwabun movement was not viewed negatively, they may have competed with Mukhtar's movement though since they were more legit. I wouldn't say it's related to the Imami Shia sects at all, it's just early political Shia movements.
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

Religion = simple & clear

ZulFiqar

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:18:31 AM »
@Zilfiqar, what are your sources of this Tawwabun movement story?

I heard from Yasir Qadi's lecture that the formation of Tawwabun movement marked the beginning of theological Shi'ism. In fact, even practice of "matam" originated from them. Could anybody confirm this?

Keep in mind that the Tawwabun movement was led by an eminent Sahabi, Suleman b. Surad al-Khuza'i رضى الله عنه whose narrations from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم are found in the Sahihayn. It is the agreed upon position of Ahlus Sunnati wal-Jama'ah that a Companion of the Prophet can never be described as "Mubtadi" or misguided.
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

Rationalist

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »
Yes this is among the 5 revolution which occurred in the aftermath of Karbala.

ZulFiqar

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:30 AM »
Yes this is among the 5 revolution which occurred in the aftermath of Karbala.

I do not include the uprising of Mukhtar al Thaqafi, because Mukhtar was a Liar which our own Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم warned against "the Liar of Thaqif". Nevertheless, it is true that Allah can help the cause of this Religion through the agency of a wicked person:

إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُؤَيِّدُ الدِّينَ بِالرَّجُلِ الْفَاجِرِ
(Bukhari)

And this Hadith I have cited from Bukhari, it is in the context of the man who was doing Jihad with the Sahaba against the polytheists, but then committed suicide. Undoubtedly, through his fighting some aid was given to the Religion, despite the fact that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said he is doomed to hell. Likewise, although Mukhtar al Thaqafi was a Liar and evil person, nonetheless, Allah made him the agent through which the Religion of Islam was aided and revenge was exacted from the cursed killers of Sayyidina Imam al Hussain رضى الله عنه.

I do not know for sure if Mukhtar claimed to be a Prophet. It is obvious that he did not claim to bring a new Shari'a or a new Scripture from Allah. It is certain that he claimed to be a recipient of Wahi, or that the Angel was visiting him and talking to him. This is not to say that those who make such claims are automatically liars, as I do believe and many of the Sufis also in the concept of Wahi al Wilaya and that an Angel can come to a Believer and converse with him. We do believe in the concepts and occurrence of Ilham, Kashaf, Sharh al Sadr. But it is only that Mukhtar claimed these things for himself when in fact he was lying, not that these things are theoretically impossible after the death of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.

Now if these things are impossible which Mukhtar was claiming, or if he claimed he was a Prophet in the sense of bringing a new Shari'a, the Sahaba would have made takfir of him, and none of the righteous people would have associated with him, but we know that isn't the case. This proves that Mukhtar was only a liar, but the essence of his claims are not such as would theoretically take one out of the fold of Islam. Sayyidina Abdullah b. Umar رضى الله عنه is known to have interceded with the Zubayrid governor of Kufa to have Mukhtar released from prison, and is known to have prayed behind both the Khawarij and the Khashabiya (Followers of Mukhtar)

Sunan al Kubra v.3 p.174

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:28:16 AM by ZulFiqar »
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

ZulFiqar

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
I’ve finished reading ‘Abd Allâh Ibn Mu’âwiya and the Janâhiyya: Rebels and Ideologues of the Late Umayyad Period by William F. Tucker (Studia Islamica, No. 51 (1908), pp. 39 – 57)

Abd Allah b. Mu’awiya was the great-grandson of sayyidina Ja’far al-TayyarRA. So this was neither an Alid nor Abbasid uprising during the latter part of the Ummayad rule, but nevertheless politically Shi’ite since it was motivated by a sense of allegiance to the Ahl al-Bayt. Tucker says about Abd Allah b. Mu’awiya: “the majority of sources accuse him of religious heterodoxy. This charge is probably more applicable to his followers, since he himself was more interested in politics than dogma.”

In the book Shi’ism in the Middle East by Aydin Bayram: “Shi’ites set up a certain Abd-Allah ibn-Muawiya as imam. He was a descendant of Ja’far ibn-Abi Talib, Ali’s brother. He is also considered to be hiding in the mountain of Isfahan. As a result, the belief in occultation (ghayba), which began with Muhammad al-Hanafiya returned.” (p. 12)

What I find very ironic is that Abd-Allah b. Mu’awiya was put to death under the orders of Abu Muslim al-Khurasani, architect of the Abbasid victory. According to one version, Abu Muslim’s governor in Herat, Abu Nasr Malik b. al-Haytham al-Khuza’i, was suspicious of Abd-Allah b. Mu’awiya, because he had the name “Mu’awiya” in his geneology, and found this to be strange for someone who claimed to be from the Ahl-al-Bayt. But it seems to me that the underlying reason for the killing of Abd-Allah b. Mu’awiya was because Abu Muslim considered him a dangerous rival.

During the uprising of Ibn Mu’awiya, the two main pillars of the support he received were from the Zaydiya and from the Rabi’a tribesmen of Kufa.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:39:22 AM by ZulFiqar »
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

Hani

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 02:44:57 AM »
I read on Abdullah's Deviance here and there, definitely evidence that certain Hashemites abused lineage and even religion for authority.

I'll read the book InshaAllah.

Seems to have two other interesting works
http://www.iblatunis.org.tn/pmb/opac_css/index.php?lvl=author_see&id=21506

Can you share the book and other similar titles?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:47:58 AM by Hani »
عَلامَةُ أَهْلِ الْبِدَعِ الْوَقِيعَةُ فِي أَهْلِ الأَثَرِ. وَعَلامَةُ الْجَهْمِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُشَبِّهَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الْقَدَرِيَّةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ السُّنَّةِ مُجَبِّرَةً. وَعَلامَةُ الزَّنَادِقَةِ أَنْ يُسَمُّوا أَهْلَ الأَثَرِ حَشْوِيَّةً

ZulFiqar

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 03:11:47 AM »
I read on Abdullah's Deviance here and there, definitely evidence that certain Hashemites abused lineage and even religion for authority.

I'll read the book InshaAllah.

Seems to have two other interesting works
http://www.iblatunis.org.tn/pmb/opac_css/index.php?lvl=author_see&id=21506

Can you share the book and other similar titles?

I've uploaded the article on to my Google Drive, and you can access it via my blog
https://islamsalvationfromhell.blogspot.ca/2017/07/httpsdrive.html

Please tell me if the link works and you can access the pdf
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

Hani

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »
Great thx it works, such works must always be available for public benefit.

Rationalist

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »

I do not include the uprising of Mukhtar al Thaqafi, because Mukhtar was a Liar which our own Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم warned against "the Liar of Thaqif". Nevertheless, it is true that Allah can help the cause of this Religion through the agency of a wicked person:

I think people have fabricated information against Mukhtar al Thaqafi to lower his status. On the other hand, I don't think he was perfect either. He did give Imam Zain al Abideen a slave from which Imam Zayd bin Ali (as) was married.

Refer to 6:35 min mark.

ZulFiqar

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
Great thx it works, such works must always be available for public benefit.

As for the other titles, 1 is regarding Bayan b. Sam'an (Bayaniyya), 2. Mughirah b. Sa'id (Mughiriya) 3. Abu Mansur al Ijli (Mansuriyya)

The article I uploaded about Abd Allah b. Muawiyya and the Janahiyya is actually the fifth chapter of the book which includes these other titles. The book is Mahdis and Millenarians: Shi'ite Extremists in Early Muslim Iraq by William F. Tucker. I could not find any of the other chapters on Jstor so I'm afraid the only way to read them is to purchase the book. You can read the preface here
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

ZulFiqar

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
Yazeed Paleed

*Paleed is a Persian word which means unclean.

Last year I wrote an article concerning Yazeed Paleed:
http://islamsalvationfromhell.blogspot.ca/2016/10/the-reality-of-yazid-b-muawiya.html

It seems, however, that funding with a political objective originating from the Gulf, is resulting in a subtle new theory and introduction of Yazidi and Nasibi propaganda into the marketplace of ideas. Take for example the book of the "Shaikh" from India, Kifayatullah Sanabili

The First Assault on Constantinople and the Glad Tidings of Forgiveness for Yazeed

Before the (Weak) arguments of the Yazidi fikr are deconstructed it is very important to understand the political objective behind this new audacious movement.
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

ZulFiqar

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 05:18:56 AM »

عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ الزُّبَيْرِ ، قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : " لا تَقُومُ السَّاعَةُ حَتَّى يَخْرُجَ ثَلاثُونَ كَذَّابًا : مِنْهُمْ مُسَيْلِمَةُ ، وَالْعَنْسِيُّ ، وَالْمُخْتَارُ ، وَشَرُّ قَبَائِلِ الْعَرَبِ : بَنُو أُمَيَّةَ ، وَبَنُو حَنِيفَةَ ، وَثَقِيفٌ

Abd Allah b. Zubayr narrated that Rasul Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "The Hour will not be established until thirty liars appear, from among them, Musaylima, al-Ansi, and al-Mukhtar; and the most evil Arab tribes are Bani Umayya, Bani Hanifa, and Thaqif." (Musnad Abi Yaala; Hasan LiGhairihi)

Here the Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam has mentioned the liar al-Mukhtar b. Abi Ubayd al-Thaqafi by name.

Here the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم has mentioned the liar al-Mukhtar b. Abi Ubayd al-Thaqafi by name.
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

Hani

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
I can see a flaw in this narration's text. This criticism towards the 3 tribes.

ZulFiqar

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 06:37:53 AM »
I can see a flaw in this narration's text. This criticism towards the 3 tribes.

How is that a flaw?
My Blog
Forbidden_Link

ZulFiqar

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 07:03:14 AM »
عَنْ عِمْرَانَ بْنِ حُصَيْنٍ، قَالَ مَاتَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَهُوَ يَكْرَهُ ثَلاَثَةَ أَحْيَاءٍ ثَقِيفًا وَبَنِي حَنِيفَةَ وَبَنِي أُمَيَّةَ
Narrated 'Imran bin Husain:"The Prophet (ﷺ) died while he was having trouble with three tribes: Thaqif, Banu Hanifah, and Banu Umayyah." (Tirmidhi)

These are the exact three tribes mentioned as the worst of the Arab tribes in the Hadith of Abd Allah b. al-Zubayr.

My Blog
Forbidden_Link