TwelverShia.net Forum

The Original Shi’ites: The Wilayatites and the Wisayatites

fgss

SOURCE: https://shiismandislamichistory.wordpress.com/2020/07/03/the-original-shiites-the-wilayatites-and-the-wisayatites-part-1/

Some highlights of the article.

The Wilayatites believed that Imam Ali (a) was:

Chosen by God
A Divine Proof and wali
Infallible
Aware of the unseen (ghayb)

After the Prophet (p) passed away, there were only three Wilayatite Shias – Salman, Abu Dhar, and Miqdaad. ‘Amaar apostatized, but later reverted.

As a result of Imam Sajjad’s (a) efforts, the number of Wilayatites increased, paving the way for the establishment of Imam Baqir’s (a) school and eventual expansion by Imam Sadiq (a) to the extent that by the time of Imam Kazim (a), there were Wilayatites in every corner of the Muslim world.

The Wisayatite Shias believed that:

The Imam is neither a Divine Proof nor wali.
The Imam is a fallible man. Some Wisayatites called their Imams “ma’soom,” but by “ma’soom” they meant virtuous.
The Imams do not possess the knowledge of the unseen.
There is no such thing as an occulted Imam.
Imam Ali (a) was the best Companion
The Prophet (p) desired to bequeath political authority to Ali (a).
The other Imams were merely the most knowledgeable men of the umma.

The great majority of Shi’ites who pledged to Imam Ali (a) were Wisayatites. They believed that, with their allegiance, they were giving him (a) caliphate, not that God had pregiven authority to him (a). They used to say, “We are making Ali the Imam” in the same manner that they gave caliphate to Abu Bakr.

The Origins of the Term Rafidite

The Wisayatites were considered Shias, in fact, they considered themselves the “authentic Shias.” Thus, they labeled the Wilayatites as “Rejectors” due to rejecting their imam and movement. As well, Wisayatite factions who often branded one another as “Rafidite” due to rejecting their movement/imam. The original reason the term was coined was not due to rejecting the first three caliphs.

Some of the references mentioned in above article.

According to Abdullah b. Abas:
One day my dad sent me to Umar for something. I saw Umar layed-down and eating dates. He insisted I take one, so I did. The date was so dry that I gave up trying to eat it. Umar asked, “Does your friend (Ali) continue in his claim for caliphate?” I responded, “Even my dad agrees, he states that the Prophet (p) requested so in his (p) will.” Umar answered, “Your dad’s right, towards the end of his (p) life, he (p) wanted to write something about this, but we did not heed his (p) advice, as we knew that the Arabs would never accept Ali’s rule.”
[Ibn Abi H̪adeed, Sharh̪ Nahj al-Balaagha, 3:97]

“After the martyrdom of Hussain, all but three apostatized (regarding the wilaya) – Abu Khaalid Kabuli, Yahya b. Um T̪aweel, Habeeb b. Mut̪’am.”
[Ikhtis̪aas̪, 64, 204; Bihaar al-Anwaar, v. 144; Rijaal Kashi, 123]
إِنَّ أَصْدَقَ الْحَدِيثِ كِتَابُ اللَّهِ وَأَحْسَنَ الْهَدْىِ هَدْىُ مُحَمَّدٍ وَشَرَّ الأُمُورِ مُحْدَثَاتُهَا وَكُلَّ مُحْدَثَةٍ بِدْعَةٌ وَكُلَّ بِدْعَةٍ ضَلاَلَةٌ وَكُلَّ ضَلاَلَةٍ فِي النَّارِ

May Allah guide us to the true teachings of Quran and Sunnah of His beloved Prophet (s.a.w.w). Ameen

Bolani Muslim

Re: The Original Shi’ites: The Wilayatites and the Wisayatites
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »
Interesting theory, so some scholars admit that the great majority of the sahaba were either not "in on the secret" or that the Prophet (p) did not explain the Message adequately. What I found interesting about this is that the scholar used the concept of the Wisayatis in order to defend the sect.