TwelverShia.net Forum

Wives of the Prophet leaving their house

confusedshia

Wives of the Prophet leaving their house
« on: September 17, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
Salam,

Do the Shia scholars interpret 33:33 when it tells the wives of the Prophet to "abide in their homes" to mean that Aisha and all the other wives of the Prophet were prohibited from leaving their houses with no exception or do they say allow for certain exceptions like hajj?

Also, is it true that Sunnis believe that Aisha repented for the outcome of the battle of Jamal?

Farid

Re: Wives of the Prophet leaving their house
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »
http://www.twelvershia.net/2017/09/16/aisha-sin-leaving-home-without-mahram/

Wa alaykum alsalam,

This article was posted on the site yesterday. =]

confusedshia

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
http://www.twelvershia.net/2017/09/16/aisha-sin-leaving-home-without-mahram/

Wa alaykum alsalam,

This article was posted on the site yesterday. =]

Thanks. I just read through the article.

Ok, so the Sunnis interpret 33:33 with an exception to then general rule due to a hadith in Bukhari which allows the wives of the Prophet to their homes out of necessity.

But I’d still like to know what the Shia tafsirs actually say.  Do the Shia tafsirs really comment on 33:33 saying that the wives of the Prophet were literally all under house arrest and could never leave? I would check myself, but gaining access to Shia commentaries has proven to be quite difficult for me. I managed to find an English translation of Tabataba’i’s tafsir, but it was only partial, and there is no translation of Surat al-Ahzab.

Farid

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
The commentary seems to be similar to Sunni commentaries, which don't make mention of a house arrest. They reason that Sunnis reach the conclusion that they were permitted to leave is because we have access to their history and their narrations. Shias have blocked themselves out of benefiting from the wives of the Prophet - peace be upon him - and you will barely find anything about them in Shia books.

Link

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
In context of the verses before all it is saying is to stay with the Prophet and not leave him for the world.  Although it told them if they want the world God and his messenger will give them their leave beautifully it is emphasizing stay with the prophet.
Love of the family of Yaseen is the light of the heavens and the earth.

confusedshia

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
The commentary seems to be similar to Sunni commentaries, which don't make mention of a house arrest. They reason that Sunnis reach the conclusion that they were permitted to leave is because we have access to their history and their narrations. Shias have blocked themselves out of benefiting from the wives of the Prophet - peace be upon him - and you will barely find anything about them in Shia books.

A friend of mine says that some Sunnis say Talha took Aisha out of her house and she never left out of her own will. Have you heard this before?

Farid

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »
No akhi. Always ask a source for everything. It will save you a lot of headache.