TwelverShia.net Forum

How do you define a scholar?

Optimus Prime

How do you define a scholar?
« on: November 24, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Asalamualaikum to everyone.

Mash'Allah, there are many learned people today providing a great service to the Ummah in their respective expertise, but you get many certified scholars who advised caution from listening to such personalities because either they harbour deviant beliefs or they have not studied under a reputable scholar, so to speak.

When, you listen, read, and/or watch them in action it becomes quite clear they're experts in their speciality. This is backed up by fact that they've studied from non-Islamic (not Darul-Ulooms) academic insitutes or are self-studied, and their craft has been approved, acknowledged, and praised by senior scholars from all over the world yet that's still not sufficient to consider them a scholar.

What do you guys think?

There many examples like Dr Yasr Qadhi, Dr. Zakir Naik, Sheikh Mumtaz-ul Haq, and amongst many others.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:47:10 PM by Imam Ali »

Ijtaba

Re: How do you define a scholar?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:29:03 AM »
Walaikumu Salaam.

I just wanted to say something about Dr. Zakir Naik. I don't know why does he wants to prove to Hindu audience that in their holy books Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w.w) has been prophesied? Hindu books has been written by Hindu sages and they weren't prophets. How did Hindu sages and priests living hundreds of years before Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w.w) gave prophecy on his (s.a.w.w) coming? And Hindu Books are not revealed books like Taurat or Injeel. So why should Hindu Books contain prophecy on our Prophet (s.a.w.w)? And how did Hindu Sages and Pundits receive this prophecy? Did GOD reveal this Prophecy to them? If GOD gave prophecy to them i.e. Hindu Sages and Pundits then it would mean that they are Prophets which we Muslims disbelieve as All Prophets were sent to Bani Israel only after Prophet Ibrahim (a.s) and Prophet Ismaeel (a.s) and before Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w.w).

Its better for Dr. Zakir Naik to restrict himself only to Jews and Christians for convincing them about Prophecies of  Coming of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w.w) as we believe Prophets were sent to them and they were given Revealed Books Taurat and Injeel and leave Hindus as we don't believe there Sages and Pundits were Prophets nor do we believe their Books to be Revealed Books.

And lastly I would like to say only three Prophets had connection with the Prophecy of Coming of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w.w) and they are Prophet Ibrahim (a.s) when he (a.s) prayed to GOD to sent a Prophet (s.a.w.w) for the People of Kaaba, Prophet Musa (a.s) when he (a.s) said to his people that GOD would sent a Prophet (s.a.w.w) like him (a.s) from their brethren and Prophet Isa (a.s) when he gave Good News to his people of Coming of Prophet by the Name of Ahmed (s.a.w.w). Besides these 3 Prophets (a.s) no one could have given the Prophecy of Coming of our Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w.w). Dr. Zakir Naik proving from Hindu books the Prophecy of Coming of our Prophet (s.a.w.w) is really very strange.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 01:45:33 AM »
Ijtaba, watch his lectures in full, and he explains in details why Hindu scriptures reference the coming of our Prophet (SAW).

He is a scholar in comparative religion. Do you, and everyone else agree?

Sheikh

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:17:23 AM »
Dr. Yasir Qadhi studied at the Islamic University of Madinah so I think he qualifies as a legitimate scholar.

I don't know much about Zakir Naik, but I strongly dislike his style. He seems very arrogant.

Hadrami

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:05:05 PM »
IMHO you can guess A or B is a legitimate scholar or not, but most likely we can only be sure of it after their death.

Just look at many great scholars from the past, they were not considered as great back then compare to their status now. I think its the case of you dont realise what you have until you lose them.

Ijtaba

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Ijtaba, watch his lectures in full, and he explains in details why Hindu scriptures reference the coming of our Prophet (SAW).

Hindu Scriptures are not Revelations from GOD but are works of men. Convincing Hindus of Prophethood of Hadhrat Mohammed (s.a.w.w) from Hindu Scriptures is like proving Prophethood of Hadhrat Mohammed (s.a.w.w) to Harry Potter fans from Harry Potter books.

We can only convince of Prophethood to those who believe in the Concept of Prophethood (like Jews and Christians). Hindus don't believe in the concept of Prophethood so how can we convince them of something which isn't a part of their beliefs.

Furkan

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »
I agree with al sheikh (:p) and Hadrami.

The scholar is defined by his ijazas received by previous shuyookh.

Zakir Naik fails to understand fiqhi differences, so I wouldnt take him too seriously for islamic knowledge.
Before Qazî Mihemed, President of the first kurdish Republic Mahabad was hanged the iranian judge asked:

“last words?”

Qazî: “I thank Allah: even in death he put my shoes above your heads”

Optimus Prime

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »
Dr. Yasir Qadhi studied at the Islamic University of Madinah so I think he qualifies as a legitimate scholar.

I don't know much about Zakir Naik, but I strongly dislike his style. He seems very arrogant.

Perhaps he's just confident, akhi? He's made a big difference in the Ummah.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
I agree with al sheikh (:p) and Hadrami.

The scholar is defined by his ijazas received by previous shuyookh.

Zakir Naik fails to understand fiqhi differences, so I wouldnt take him too seriously for islamic knowledge.

ijazas?

But, in his respective field of comprative religion would you guys not regard him an expert?

I'm not sure how this thread turned into a discussion on Dr. Zakir Naik, lol.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »
IMHO you can guess A or B is a legitimate scholar or not, but most likely we can only be sure of it after their death.

Just look at many great scholars from the past, they were not considered as great back then compare to their status now. I think its the case of you dont realise what you have until you lose them.

What do you mean by A, and B?

Optimus Prime

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »

Hindu Scriptures are not Revelations from GOD but are works of men. Convincing Hindus of Prophethood of Hadhrat Mohammed (s.a.w.w) from Hindu Scriptures is like proving Prophethood of Hadhrat Mohammed (s.a.w.w) to Harry Potter fans from Harry Potter books.

We can only convince of Prophethood to those who believe in the Concept of Prophethood (like Jews and Christians). Hindus don't believe in the concept of Prophethood so how can we convince them of something which isn't a part of their beliefs.

That's a valid point akhi, but I think he's addressed this point in his lectures. He's been asked this question by live audiences.

Farid

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
I think Zakir Naik is a scholar in his field. One doesn't need to be a faqeeh to be a scholar.

Ijtaba

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »

That's a valid point akhi, but I think he's addressed this point in his lectures. He's been asked this question by live audiences.

I just now visited Dr. Zakir Naik's website and clicked the link Common Questions asked by Hindus on Islam http://www.irf.net/faq/faq3_10.html. In this page Dr. Zakir Naik answers the very same question which I highlighted.

5. Which revelation sent to India?

The question that arises is “which revelation of God was sent to India and whether we can consider the Vedas and the other Hindu Scriptures to be the revelations of God?” There is no text in the Qur’an or Sahih Hadith mentioning the name of the revelation that was sent to India. Since the names of the Vedas or other Hindu scriptures are no where to be found in Qur’an and Sahih Hadith, one cannot say for sure that they were the revelations of God. They may be the revelation of God or may not be the revelation of God.

The answer is ‘No’. Hebrew and Arabic are sister languages and if you translate “E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni” into Arabic it is ‘Allah Allah lama tarak tani’ does it sound similar?

This statement of Jesus (pbuh), “E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni” is preserved in its original Hebrew in each and every of its translation which is available in more than 2000 different languages of the world and in each and every of them, “Allah” is present.

Dr. Zakir Naik clearly says that Vedas aren't Revealed from GOD. If Vedas aren't revealed by GOD then how did the writers of Vedas discover or get to know about Coming of a Prophet in Arabia hundreds or thousands of years from their time?

The fact is that we Muslims don't consider Vedas as Holy Books as Al-Quran, Taurat, Zabur and Injeel. Vedas is limited to India only and it was written for people of India. Vedas revolves around Hindu belief system which do not include the Concept of Prophethood or mention Bani Israel and their worship rituals nor do they mention about Hadhrat Adam (a.s) and Hadhrat Bibi Hawwa (s.a).

Optimus Prime

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »
I think Zakir Naik is a scholar in his field. One doesn't need to be a faqeeh to be a scholar.

Exactly, I'm not sure why people feel one must become an 'Alim before he can be considered a scholar. This criterion has only been established by scholars to ensure the layperson is aware who're trustworthy when it comes to seeking knowledge.

In comparative religion there is no other certified Islamic scholar in the world that comes close to challenging his expertise.

May Allah bless Dr. Zakir Naik, and continue to place barakh in his efforts.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »

I just now visited Dr. Zakir Naik's website and clicked the link Common Questions asked by Hindus on Islam http://www.irf.net/faq/faq3_10.html. In this page Dr. Zakir Naik answers the very same question which I highlighted.

5. Which revelation sent to India?

The question that arises is “which revelation of God was sent to India and whether we can consider the Vedas and the other Hindu Scriptures to be the revelations of God?” There is no text in the Qur’an or Sahih Hadith mentioning the name of the revelation that was sent to India. Since the names of the Vedas or other Hindu scriptures are no where to be found in Qur’an and Sahih Hadith, one cannot say for sure that they were the revelations of God. They may be the revelation of God or may not be the revelation of God.

The answer is ‘No’. Hebrew and Arabic are sister languages and if you translate “E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni” into Arabic it is ‘Allah Allah lama tarak tani’ does it sound similar?

This statement of Jesus (pbuh), “E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni” is preserved in its original Hebrew in each and every of its translation which is available in more than 2000 different languages of the world and in each and every of them, “Allah” is present.

Dr. Zakir Naik clearly says that Vedas aren't Revealed from GOD. If Vedas aren't revealed by GOD then how did the writers of Vedas discover or get to know about Coming of a Prophet in Arabia hundreds or thousands of years from their time?

The fact is that we Muslims don't consider Vedas as Holy Books as Al-Quran, Taurat, Zabur and Injeel. Vedas is limited to India only and it was written for people of India. Vedas revolves around Hindu belief system which do not include the Concept of Prophethood or mention Bani Israel and their worship rituals nor do they mention about Hadhrat Adam (a.s) and Hadhrat Bibi Hawwa (s.a).

Why don't you contact him, and ask him outright?

He's gone in detail on this subject in his lectures. Go, and watch them if you want the answer. He recognises that none of Hindi scriptures are divine, and goes on to explain why/how there are references pointing to the coming of the Prophet (SAW).

Having said that in recent times he tends to only focus on Christianity and Jewdism.

Ijtaba

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 06:44:42 PM »

Why don't you contact him, and ask him outright?

He's gone in detail on this subject in his lectures. Go, and watch them if you want the answer. He recognises that none of Hindi scriptures are divine, and goes on to explain why/how there are references pointing to the coming of the Prophet (SAW).

Having said that in recent times he tends to only focus on Christianity and Jewdism.

I will check his website to see if there any option to ask questions.

Anyhow I prefer Dr. israr Ahmed over Dr. Zakir Naik as Dr. Israr was good scholar. He had good knowledge on Quranic Tafseer and Islamic History. In true sense he could be called a Scholar.

Hadrami

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »

What do you mean by A, and B?

I meant this person or that person.

Hadrami

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »

I thought scholar in this thread refers to faqeeh.

Scholar: a person who has studied a subject for a long time and knows a lot about it : an intelligent and well-educated person who knows a particular subject very well

In that case, then zakir naik is a scholar on comparative religion & whether someone like his style or not,  he knows that particular subject extremely well.

Hadrami

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:54 PM »

Perhaps he's just confident, akhi? He's made a big difference in the Ummah.

I guess speakers in comparative religion field need to look arrogant/confident. Watch Ahmad Deedat when he was on stage, he always look arrogant towards his opponent speaker & audiences. May Allah bless them all for their efforts.

Hadrami

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 10:20:05 PM »

May I add that Farid is a scholar in sunni shia field too, even better than most fuqaha :P